Berlitz Lounge

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Berlitz Lounge
Posted by: 2552Sawyer ()
Date: March 14, 2014 08:16PM

Anyone familiar with the intersection of Irving Park and Sheridan Road? As a college student in the late 60's, I used to stop in at The Berlitz. Last night I stopped in at the Holiday Club with my son. It seemed like the old Berlitz except I remember the Berlitz being on the Northeast corner and not the Northwest corner. The NE corner is now a green space and parking. Where was the Berlitz Lounge? The only web search find is a picture of a matchbook cover.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Berlitz Lounge
Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: March 14, 2014 09:53PM

According to these guys, it was on the North East corner.

[url=http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/995/comments]Comments fron cinema treasures[/url]

They brought it up while pining for the Sheridan theater

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: March 15, 2014 01:50AM

The NE corner wasn't an empty lot until just a few years ago. I remember there being a restaurant where Holiday Club is now; HC moved there from its original location on Milwaukee Ave.

AD:

Posted by: 2552Sawyer ()
Date: March 18, 2014 07:17PM

Thanks PK and WayOut for the confirmation of my 40+ year old memories putting it on the NE corner.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: April 04, 2014 06:31PM

Didn't the Holiday Club open up a second location on Sheridan? I use to go the Holiday Club on Milwaukee around 2000 before it became Salud, Tequila Bar.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: April 14, 2014 06:55PM

I know a lady, now in a nursing home, who grew up at Irving Park and Clarendon, and regularly went to the Berlitz on weekends. Was it the Berlitz or the Biarritz? Anyway, a big night for her was getting the pianist to play "Granada" for her.

AD:

Posted by: murphman ()
Date: December 25, 2014 04:45PM

Beritz

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact