Concrete walled parking spots Cicero Ave?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Concrete walled parking spots Cicero Ave?
Posted by: CrazyIvan25 ()
Date: February 25, 2014 02:24PM

One thing I have noticed as I drive up and down Cicero Ave, are the parking lots that have that low concrete wall all around the open spot. And these are just here and there. One is on Cicero and Waveland. Another on Superior and Cicero. Another on Huron. Does anyone know why this is like this along Cicero mostly, than other streets? Ive been meaning to ask this a while.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Concrete walled parking spots Cicero Ave?
Date: February 25, 2014 02:25PM

And another on Erie. They are all similar as a parking lot with a low concrete wall all around. Safety and security? Old building shell?

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: February 25, 2014 04:31PM

These were set up by the City as parking areas during the last reconstruction of Cicero Avenue. I don't know if they reverted to private ownership or if the City still owns/leases them, but if it were the latter, I'm sure LAZ would have put in parking kiosks!

AD:

Date: February 25, 2014 05:31PM

That is what I had heard at one time too, but the person i heard it from also wasnt sure. Now that is interesting. Do you know when was this reconstruction of Cicero ave?

AD:

Date: February 25, 2014 07:09PM

CrazyIvan25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is what I had heard at one time too, but the
> person i heard it from also wasnt sure. Now that
> is interesting. Do you know when was this
> reconstruction of Cicero ave?

Oh, now you have me stumped! And I worked on the signal timings, so you'd think I would remember. Has to be the late 90's, early 2000's. I'd have to look around in some old files. I would almost suggest you contact CDOT.

AD:

Date: February 25, 2014 07:34PM

Ok, I pulled up some of the timings I had done about the time the project had begun. They were drawn up in 1989, and one I looked at in particular was installed in 1994, so I'm going to say that these were set up in the early 1990's. Again, CDOT would know if they were returned to their original owners or the City still has some claim to them.

Something like these, if they could replace all the onstreet parking along Ashland, "might" make that damnedfool bus rapid transit project work, "if" there was enough off-street parking to supplant the curb lanes and satisfy LAZ's contract. But what do I know? I'm just a retired traffic engineer.

AD:

Date: March 03, 2014 06:43PM

I was just driving up from 290 today up Cicero, and was surprised at just how many of these lots they made for it! they even have lighting

AD:

Date: March 04, 2014 01:03AM

CrazyIvan25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was just driving up from 290 today up Cicero,
> and was surprised at just how many of these lots
> they made for it! they even have lighting

Don't let LAZ Parking know, as they may want to charge people to park there!

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 12:55AM

Triggers a memory here. Those were built to replace street parking on Cicero in early 80's.

One of Jane Byrne's first acts after elected, was to cancel the Crosstown Expway project, with Gov. Thompson's help. This freed up money and some was used to widen Cicero, and adding these parking lots was one of the specs.

Nowadays, young hipster 'urbanists' [from Iowa or Naperville] would fight anything like this.

BTW: One other project built from Xtown cash was the O'Hare Blue line extension.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2014 01:21AM by tomcat630.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact