Metra train on the Bloomingdale line???

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Metra train on the Bloomingdale line???
Posted by: CrazyIvan25 ()
Date: January 16, 2014 03:05PM

About a month ago, I was driving up Kimball, and saw on the Bloomingdale line, a Metra train backing up. Mind you, I was not seeing things. I rolled past Kimball, and must have gone past Kedzie. A few moments later, while driving up Central Park, I looked in the rearview and watched it roll by again. I was quite surprised and a little shocked, especially since I thought they were tearing up the tracks. I know they have storage of some railcars full of rocks and gravel, and some other freight cars, but I have NEVER seen a Metra train rolling so far down.

Has anyone seen a Metra train on the Bloomingdale Line?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Metra train on the Bloomingdale line???
Posted by: davem60612 ()
Date: January 16, 2014 06:44PM

The Bloomingdale is used as a wye to 'spin' cars.

AD:

Posted by: Business7007 ()
Date: January 17, 2014 12:51AM

I agree that it is possible that a portion of the Bloomingdale is still operable for rail use, although the track looks to be in very rough shape. There are railroad cars standing on the tracks but they are clearly not passenger cars. Actually there is at least one track still visible all the way East to the Kennedy Expressway. If Metra wants to use the West portion of the line to wye cars, so be it, as long as they do it very slowly and carefully given track conditions.

AD:

Date: January 17, 2014 04:25AM

Hello, CrazyIvan25 and all.

This is probably a "rare" sighting because Metra seldom needs to "wye" its trains.

Metra trains are always set up with their locomotives on the "outbound" end and a control car (railcar with a functional control cab at one end) on the Chicago end of the train.

Normally, Metra "correctly" assembles its trains at its maintenance and storage yards. And, Metra can, but usually DOESN'T move equipment from one line to another on anything close to a regular basis for several reasons. However, if they move a complete trainset from one line to another (like they may be doing now to alleviate the UP Lines eqipment shortages,) the train might not come in orientated correctly. Thus, the trainset will need to be "wyed" to get it set up in the correct orientation, with the locomotives as far away from the Chicago stub platform end of the train as possible.

This orientation is needed to avoid or at least minimize "backdrafting" locomotive exhaust into the passenger terminals themselves. While not much of a problem per se at LaSalle Street with its open platforms, Union and Ogilvie have deep covered trainsheds, and the exhaust problems would get exponentially worse if you parked a locomotive right next to the station doors. This is paticularly true in the wintertime, when the locomotives can NOT be shut down between runs. Thus, for "consistency" between the diesel powered lines, ALL lines, even the Rock Island Service out of LaSalle Street are oriented with "locomotives out."

Thanks.

Brian J. Patterson.

CrazyIvan25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> About a month ago, I was driving up Kimball, and
> saw on the Bloomingdale line, a Metra train
> backing up...<CHOP>
>
> Has anyone seen a Metra train on the Bloomingdale
> Line?

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: January 17, 2014 01:53PM

Very nice explanation Brian. Thank you.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: January 17, 2014 02:45PM

This seems to be a question for like Trainorders or one of the other rail fan sites where this will have been observed and documented.

And then there is Metra Electric where each car pair is bi-directional! And no exhaust problems either!

AD:

Posted by: davem60612 ()
Date: January 24, 2014 04:26PM

I've picked up and set out metra coaches in some odd spots for interchange, maybe that was it.

AD:

Date: January 25, 2014 09:26PM

Hello, davem60612.

1. What railroad do you work for?

2. How often have you picked up and set out Metra Coaches for interchange? I know more than average about railroads, but am not a railroad employee. I would think that Metra Coaches would seldom be put out for INTERCHANGE at all; those ocasions mostly being "accept delivery from builder," "send to rebuild contractor," and "send to museum or scrapyard." But, not being an employee, I can only guess at how much of which Metra railroads a crew can work, and if there are some sections where a car or trainset must cross a line where Metra crews are NOT certified to operate.

Thanks.

Brian J. Patterson.

davem60612 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've picked up and set out metra coaches in some
> odd spots for interchange, maybe that was it.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: February 07, 2016 01:26AM

Btt.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact