Strangest place for a utility meter

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Strangest place for a utility meter
Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: November 28, 2013 06:13PM

Recently, we have been doing a dance macabre with Peoples Gas, regarding getting our gas meter fitted with a radio-equipped dial assembly. The young man who showed up earlier this week found that the position of our existing meter, facing out behind a glass black window, gave him no room to remove the old dial assembly and install the new, so we have to have another go round to have a new meter installed. Five minutes of work, surrounded by days/weeks of waiting.

I remarked about the apartment my maternal grandparents had in a building on the SW corner of Halsted and Roscoe, where the gas meter was hung in the bathroom, over the toilet. He said that it was probably still there, albeit with the remote-reading dials, and that he had seen them in people's showers! I also remember my paternal grandparents 4-flat, with all the utility meters along the east wall of the western portion of the basement. The electric meters south of the doorway, the gas meters north, five of each, one for each apartment (gas stove, or in our case, a gas stove and a Servel gas refrigerator), and one for the building (heating and hot water). Someone always had to let the meter readers in.

I used to have a coworker who worked for Commonwealh Edison, who was bemoaning the replacement of meter books by electronic readers there. He said the books were useful for fending off attacks from dogs, and always had the locations of the meters, giving one example of a meter in an apartment, in a bedroom closet (the apartment having been demolished for the construction of the Dan Ryan Expressway)!

So, what is the most unusual location you've ever seen, or heard of, for a utility meter (gas, electricity, or water).

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Strangest place for a utility meter
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: December 01, 2013 01:15PM

Never seen any as strange as those! My aunt had a gas meter on the porch just off her kitchen. She draped a pothos vine around it.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: December 02, 2013 03:30PM

The worst, if not exactly strange, I've seen are when the building abuts the sidewalk and the gas meter overhangs it. Seems to be primarily residential buildings which have been retrofit. I can think of one around the corner from me and then some in my old neighborhood. I always wondered how they didn't get vandalized more often. Now that I think about it I'm not sure they're meters, but I'm not sure what they are if not meters...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 03:34PM by davey7.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: December 03, 2013 06:15PM

This was the late 1980's when I saw this in Skokie. These gas meters were in the driveways next to the apartment buildings. The driveways were 8 to9 feet wide. The apartments were built around 1960. I told my friend, how can live in the building? Aren't you afraid that someone will hit the meter and blow up the building? He told that his neighbor bump it last week and the gas company came out and fixed it. I looked on Google Street view now and saw that the meters have been removed.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact