National Union Base Ball League Champions 1903.

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
National Union Base Ball League Champions 1903.
Date: September 14, 2013 06:36AM

I have a picture of my grandfather, Emil Bruhnke AKA "Lefty Lugan" as the pitcher. Their shirts say Ellsworth N, U. printed on them. The picture is priceless with the old gloves, balls, cap, and catchers mask. I don't know if I can post pictures on here. Can someone tell me if they know whether I can? I've tried to do some research on the club but was not very successful. I'm under the impression that it was a Semi-Pro League. I do know that the Professional Team was looking at my grandfather. He also played with another club. I have a full picture of the players. The club was Gordon A.C. I'm thinking it may stand for Athletic Club? I think it may be a little before 1903. 10 men in uniform and 3 in 3 piece suits with bowler hats, probably the managers and then the young equipment boy. My grandfather was supposedly a very well known pitcher on Chicago's Southside. Back of The Yards!. Thanks in advance for any advice or help with this!
Mary Lou Bruhnke-Placeres-Kozub.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: National Union Base Ball League Champions 1903.
Posted by: bowler ()
Date: September 17, 2013 04:49PM

I found two references to your grandfather. The first is a box score from a 1915 Trubune article that was reporting on the various leagues around the city. He is listed as playing for the "Snorky Signs" team. A blurb from the game says, "Lefty Lugan scored with a clean hit inside of third base that sent Meleher home from second."

The second is from a 1959 Tribune article honoring various senior citizens in the Back of the Yards area. He is listed under his real name.

I can't post the articles but can send them to you. You can either give me your email here or send a "private message" through this site to me and give me your email there and I can email them to you.

There is a way to post pictures on this site but you need to upload them to a Flickr account and use the rightmost button across the top of this message box to attach them.

AD:

Date: September 18, 2013 03:56AM

Bowler 0,

I don't know if that is your real name but whatever it is I can't thank you enough. The only thing that I have from my grandfather and his ball playing years are the two pictures. The one from 1903 was a large team picture however I believe my grandmother ripped out just the portion of my grandfather. My mother, the daughter-in-law, could not believe that someone could deface a picture like that! I do remember stories saying that my grandfather was approached by the "bigger" leagues, whether that meant the minor pros or what, I don't know. The story has it that my grandmother already had small babies and was completely against him traveling. He was a baseball fanatic until his dying day! As for posting a picture. I will have to wait until my daughter or son-in-law comes over to help me post them. They are very clear pictures! Thank heavens my mother saved them! My email address is:
mygrandkidsrgr8@sbcglobal.net I'll be 75 in Dec. and was born and raised in The Back of The Yards. We now live in Southern CA. Thank you, thank you!

AD:

Date: September 18, 2013 04:58AM

My grandfather's name was also spelled Emil Brunke. Sometimes they left out the H. My dad and his borther were ball players too. They played for SS. Cyril & Methodius Parish and for other leagues. They made great team mates. My dad was a left handed pitcher and my uncle Bill was a right handed catcher. They had a lot of practice together. My dad was Louis (Louie) Bruhnke and my uncle was William (Bill) Bruhnke. I can remember people always talking about my grandfather Lefty Lugan! Funny, he was German but my grandmother was afraid that they would beat him up for being German so when the 1st Lithuanian married into the family they decided to make my grandpa Lefty Lugan! :)

AD:

Posted by: bowler ()
Date: September 19, 2013 01:58PM

Just sent you the articles. Hope they are helpful.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact