Small pocket neighborhood near Cicero/Fifth Avenue?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Small pocket neighborhood near Cicero/Fifth Avenue?
Posted by: Sit and Stew ()
Date: September 07, 2013 02:27AM

Good Evening,

I am working on a "human interest" piece of a sociological nature, and I am wonder if anyone here might know about the origins or history of this particular area.

This is technically part of the Chicago industrial Corridor and I'd say the boundaries are Fifth Ave to the S, Lexington to the N, Cicero Avenue to the West, and the RR viaduct about 4600 W to the E.. There are only two streets in this area with residences (3 if you count Kilpatrick), the rest are all shells of abandoned houses, small businesses, and disused industrial sites.

There is a "hobo jungle" or sorts here, and the homeless, down and out, and other types tend to congregate around here. Many are addicts or mentally ill, and having passed by at several times during the day, it is a haven for "ladies of the evening".

Out of the 2 streets with people living on them, Polk has fared MUCH better than Arthington to the south. Clean yards, well maintained homes for the most part. There are a few eyesores but it is a world away from the next block.

The 4700 block of W Arthington has NOT fared well. I want to call this West Garfield Park, even though I think it is a little too far south for it. Definitely not N. Lawndale. Austin is W of Cicero. Anyway, this street has 2 viable businesses and the rest are wrecks. One home is full of squatters. One is boarded up. Another is in horrendous shape, hemmed in by an old chain link fence surrounded by junk cars and garbage. All but 2 lawns and homes look maintained. A few are ready for the wrecking ball.

I took a lot of photos back here and the residents didn't even pay attention to me. There is an auto shop in the middle of the block and the guys there were friendly. After about 2 hours of writing and photos I was ready to leave.

Some of the housing stock dates back to the late 1890's to about 1910 on the brick homes. The layout is very unconventional compared to other neighborhoods.

Fifth avenue, with the exception of the anodizing and plating shop, is empty. Along the RR embankment is the tracks, behind there is a brickyard.

Has anyone ever pondered this before?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Small pocket neighborhood near Cicero/Fifth Avenue?
Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: September 08, 2013 05:34PM

I recall several months ago a story on WGN or WBBM about a dead body found in or around the abandoned GF Structures building on the corner of S Kilpatrick and W Arthington. I think this is the extreme northwest corner of N Lawndale, if you get a chance please post your pictures. I have always found this area very interesting, just be care full out there.

AD:

Date: September 09, 2013 12:53AM

222psm,

I looked the story up and the body was discovered on July 23rd of this year in that little area on Kilpatrick between Cicero and Fifth. As far as I can tell the woman was never identified. There is an abandoned yard down there that was formerly known as Building Chicago Corp and it has been empty for years. The gate or fence must have been compromised and that's how someone got in.

This is most likely ever an overdose death or a wacko getting revenge on a prostitute. A lot of them are living outdoors in the area but tend to find indoor housing when it gets too cold.

Bummer, my Flickr Phorum auth wont load the rest of the photos in my stream :(

I anticipate doing a little more snooping down there in a week or two, maybe sooner. I am not going into any houses or into any yards without backup, and even then I think I'd rather stick to the main streets.

AD:

Date: September 12, 2013 03:17AM

The home at 4719 w. Arthington burned good in January 2012. The fire ended up damaging the home at 4721 W. Arthington (as of 9/13 a junkie flop and shooting gallery) as well as the 1 story proto-bungalow with stucco finish at 4717. The home at 4719 was built in 1892 and demolished 120 years later. Here is some of the plat info from Williams and Williams auction house:

COUNTY:
COOK,
IL
APN:
16-15-312-017-0000
CENSUS
TRACT
/
BLOCK:
/
ALTERNATE
APN:
TOWNSHIP-RANGE-
SECT:
SUBDIVISION:
WEST
48TH
STREET
ADD/B
LOWRY'S
LEGAL
BOOK/PAGE:
MAP
REFERENCE:
020-
19-01
/
39-13-15SW
LEGAL
LOT:
TRACT
#:
LEGAL
BLOCK:
SCHOOL
DISTRICT:
MARKET
AREA:
MUNICIPALITY/TOWNSHIP:
WEST
CHICAGO
NEIGHBOR
CODE:
LOT
IN
BUTLER
LOWRY'S
WEST
48TH
STREET
ADDITION,
A
SUBDIVISION
OF
PART
OF
BLOCKS
AND
IN
PURINGTON
AND
SCRANTON'S
SUBDIVISION
OF
THE
WEST
1/2
OF
THE
SOUTHWEST
1/4
OF
SECTION
TOWNSHIP
NORTH,
RANGE
EAST
OF
THE
THIRD
PRINCIPAL
MERIDIAN,
NORTH
OF
BARRY
POINT
ROAD,
IN
COOK
COUNTY,
ILLINOIS.
COMMONLY
KNOWN
AS:
W.
ARTHINGTON
STREET,
CHICAGO,
IL

Purington and Scranton. Butler Lowry. I think I am on to something, and if you check my Flickr stream (Sit and Stew), I have a few pictures on there with more to come.

I am hoping to have interior photos of 4721 W within the week.

AD:

Date: September 13, 2013 11:05PM

Cool pics, are you honestly going in there? The 4719 home can still be seen on Google street view. Like I said this part of town always fascinated me, East Garfield Park, North Lawndale. We used to drive down California to get to Brighton Park.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: September 15, 2013 07:46PM

Fifth Ave used to be called "Colorado Ave". The businesses there asked for rename to be after NYC's 'Fifth' to promote the area. It's not part of the grid system. i.e. not '500 s'

AD:

Date: September 17, 2013 04:23PM

222psm,

Yep, I am most likely going tomorrow or Friday. I'm not going alone on this one because of the squatters. I've talked to a few of them before and they are mostly addicts, down-and-outers, strange brew folks, etc. I believe that they were probably responsible for the fire at 4719 W. Arthington that caused significant damage to that property in January of 2012. The fire hydrants there were frozen or blocked and hadn't properly been flushed which caused a delay in reducing damage to the home. It was listed as vacant but people were living in that home as well, with a woman trapped on the 2nd floor having to be rescued.

Not long after, the home was boarded up and went to auction, which more or less sealed it's fate because it was demolished sometime in late 2012. The info on the home was that it was built in 1892, give or take a few years and was a frame 2 or 3 flat. As of right now, the lot is overgrown, and a blue Jeep Grand Cherokee has been parked there for a long time. This fire also caused damage to the home to the east and west, the one to the west being where I am hoping to do some interior photographs.

I decided to create a new set on Flickr to at least try and drag a few pictures over, but for some reason I cannot scroll through.

I have been down there at least 4-5 times and I have never been harassed by anyone, whether it be a local, a resident, a vagabond of sorts, or the police. I sat at the corner of Cicero and Fifth writing in my pad for over an hour with no interruptions except for a hooker asking for a cigarette. The following day I camped out by the old GF Structures warehouse and sat down to write for a good hour and a half, no interruptions. Where are the residents? I'm not sure. The home at the end of the street is fairly well maintained except for a few patches of siding missing, I've seen the guy who lives there a few times and he waves to me. Other than that, I have seen no other residents except for a lady living in a brick home on the N. Side of the street with a bad garage.

With some luck, I will have some nice tidbits as opposed to exterior shots. The only real activity on this street is the Chi-Town Donks auto customizing shop and Marvins, but that is on Cicero. I think I'll go there for lunch and plan things out.

AD:

Date: September 17, 2013 04:34PM

Wow, I have never heard that before. My research has told me so far that Fifth was previously known as "Barry Point Road", which at went all the way to at least present-day Lyons. It's Chicago length goes from roughly 900S/4800W (Cicero and Fifth) to 1S/2800 at Madison/California.

Arthington was named by early resident Henry Gilpin who came from Arthington England and subdivided the area. Which area I am not sure, but the date I found for the street naming goes back to 1859.

AD:

Date: September 20, 2013 04:30AM

Here is the flop on Arthington. With some luck I will be photographing the inside this afternoon.

I can't get in their face, but there are a ton of hookers here. I know a few of them from a local medical clinic, but don't know them all. This one is a long-term girl, I am not sure where she stays when the weather gets bad...

AD:

Date: October 19, 2013 05:50AM

OK, so far I have met at least 20 people who call this area home and despite being invited in at least 3 times alone, I am holding off as this is someone's home, legal or not. I do not want to openly film people using illegal drugs for various reasons. I learned about the neighborhood, the fire at 4719, met a good bunch of the legit/temp residents, and I am hoping to finish up on this one soon.

Just the other day, Asplundh was out trimming trees and clearing brush away from the power lines as well cutting down the overgrowth on Fifth, eradicating a bush squat. In my several days so far of being down there, I met more than enough people who live here or make money here in some way. in January 17/18th 2012, the home at 4719 burned. A young woman jumped from the 3rd story window fell to the hard ground below, resulting in her being in Critical condition. She is visibly pregnant now, and is seeking city services to lessen the addiction of her child on narcotics. She still walks with a visible limp to this day.

Street people here range in age from 16 to nearly 60. Some are stand-offish, others are less aloof and many are quite friendly. Cigarettes are pleasant gifts. All are in it for the hustle. I will be here on Monday again 10/21/13 in the late AM but I fear unless I start conducting proper interviews, etc I am going to hold off on the project. I am considering Saturday 10/19 going down there but weekends are a whole different animal, plus it is supposed to rain. Monday, as long is it doesn't rain, might get me to churn out another 10 pages in this saga. The ancient history will be a trip to the Harold Washington Library....

AD:

Date: October 21, 2013 12:00AM

Was down in the basement. Apparently the residents use it as a restroom. There is no light and it was around 415pm. No smell, garbage is dumped elsewhere and the backyard is interesting to say the least. I may go back tomorrow or Tuesday depending on weather, and whether I have food for the wolves.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: October 21, 2013 02:53AM

Eagerly awaiting your report! Be safe.

AD:

Date: October 22, 2013 12:51AM

Here is a trash pile shot from the backyard. All the small boxes and empty bottles are to cut heroin into a final, packaged product. Dormin is a sleep aid (Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride) that comes powdered in a capsule that the dealer adds per gram of unadulterated heroin. There are roughly 72 caps per bottle, so whoever is working here is moving some small weight. Lots of old soggy wood, general trash, etc. I have a smartphone without a flash so I was unable to get anything on camera down there. I also didn't want to wave a camera around as the dealer was leaving (he was down there taking a leak) I went down there and besides from the unsealed windows, it is a very dark area. The ceiling is MAYBE 6.5 feet. The panhandlers were coming back looking for him. Any specific questions PM me, thanks.

AD:

Date: October 22, 2013 10:45AM

WOW! I"m also eagerly waiting! Be care full out there!

AD:

Date: December 02, 2013 04:12AM

Damn, looks like I am stalled until my contact comes back and lets me in. I am waiting for a warm day but nothing seems to win out. Mondays are best and who knows, if we get freak warm weather I am going down there before the place burns down.

Every time I am down here, the right people aren't around or there is some kind of roadblock to getting me in the 2nd floor. I told the guy I am working with I had some donations for him and I went there Thursday the 19th and got blown off.

But on an interesting note, I found out that Arthington east of Kilpatrick used to have homes and factories there until at least the mid 1960s. I also learned that Fifth west of the railroad bridge at 4600 W had homes as well. I found names of people living in these homes from 1913 up until 1965. One name was particularly interesting but I cannot find out if the family is still there. The home at 4731 lists a Same De Mauro as the owner, and it listed him living there in 1940! There may be an old school group of holdouts there, and I hope to sort this out. All windows and doors are boarded up, but the front window is grated and I saw a light on in there. WHo knows what is still hanging on?

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact