Canal Origins Park

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Canal Origins Park
Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: August 28, 2013 10:46AM

Has anyone visited the Canal Origins Park, located at 2701 South Ashland Ave? I understand that the original old Ashland Ave bridge nearby is the origin of the name of Bridgeport. I have read, that in the old days, the transfer of canal boat cargo had to be made from one side of the bridge to the other, because the old bridge prevented passage beneath it. It seems to be an interesting area.

http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/parks/Canal-Origins/

http://www.cityofchicago.org/dam/city/depts/zlup/Sustainable_Development/Publications/Chicago_Nature_and_Wildlife_Plan/Canal_Origin_Park.pdf

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Canal Origins Park
Date: August 28, 2013 11:03AM

[b]Yes and if you look at some old maps you will see that Fuller street had a bridge crossing over to that what is know a park.;ppl at the old maps. Years ago I remember seeing the remaines of the bridge on the north side of what is now a park. For many years Anderson's Fish house stood on that site. There was also a boat parked on the north side of that fish house. I used to think it was a fishing boat . They were related to my brotherinlaw.[/b]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 10:54PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: QlassiQue ()
Date: August 28, 2013 03:22PM

This is a fascinating park; FC visited this during our Bridgeport walking tour in October 2012. Well worth a visit.

AD:

Date: August 29, 2013 09:00AM

QlassiQue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a fascinating park; FC visited this during
> our Bridgeport walking tour in October 2012. Well
> worth a visit.

Thanks for waking me up to the past FC tour in October 2012; I am now embarrassed to learn. ;-) I wish I could have attended . . . but at least I was able to find the fine photos by Dave Gudewicz.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/k9jdk/sets/72157631717307491/detail/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 10:20AM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: August 29, 2013 12:27PM

Thanks for the compliment nordsider. I try to tell the story of the tours I attend in photo sets, but there is no substitute for actually being there IMO.

I have NEVER been disappointed with any of the FC tours I've been on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 12:42PM by daveg.

AD:

Date: August 29, 2013 02:49PM

[b]Is anyone aware of the Fuller street bridge that used to connect from fullerstreet to that park area? I saw the pillars from that bridge years ago on the north shore of that park before it was a park but had a fish house.[/b]

AD:

Date: August 29, 2013 07:54PM

Richard,

The 1890s and early 1900 maps do show the bridge at Fuller Street. It would be interesting to see old photographs from that era.

The street that piqued my interest in the area was Eleanor Street, which according to a book on street names claimed that it was named for Eleanor Kinzie, wife of John Kinzie, one of Chicago's first settlers; but I'm not sure that's correct. On early maps it was called "Water", then it changed to "Cologne", next it was "Heldmaier", and finally to Eleanor.

The early maps also show a Throop Street bridge over the branch of the river near the present day intersection of Eleanor and Throop; the north side of which was the location of the Lee farm and Hardscrabble, of early history.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder ()
Date: August 29, 2013 08:04PM

Today I went to see Canal Origins Park and for sure this was on my "must see" list as I have always had an avid interest in the I & M canal. Now for sure I wish I had made this excursion sooner. The access is convenient, it's right off I-55 and parking was right on Ashland Ave. (free too!). The main pathway into the park is very striking, at least until one gets closer. It was built to resemble the canal; both sides are lined with bas-relief plaques that look like limestone and sign boards with a chronological description of the canal and it's importance to the city. The only problem is with all the tagging by malcontents that have no sense of pride in their city, and certainly no concern for anyone else. Many of the plaques are defaced with spray paint and the sign boards have virtually been destroyed either with graffiti or numerous efforts to remove same. Many are unreadable and as a result we did a quick walk through and left. The area itself is OK, not the most scenic for a park but definitely the place considering it's significance; too bad about the graffiti.
Leaving there we headed east to Ping Tom Park. Ping Tom was some sort of local celeb in the Chinese community I guess, and his name sake park is beautiful. Like Canal Origins it is right on the river, located north of Archer Ave. about 1800 S. It and the surrounding townhomes and businesses occupy what was the Santa Fe RR passenger yard a few decades ago. Narrow streets, and hard to find parking but worth the effort. Clean, no graffiti in the park itself, and just a multitude of interesting sights. Ping Tom is interesting enough that I will be returning in the winter, if not sooner. Oh, and Chicago Water Taxi's operate from Navy Pier to Ping Tom too, if we had the time we would have taken that ride too. Next time for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 08:06PM by b.a.hoarder.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: August 29, 2013 09:11PM

nordsider Wrote:

> The street that piqued my interest in the area was
> Eleanor Street, which according to a book on
> street names claimed that it was named for Eleanor
> Kinzie, wife of John Kinzie, one of Chicago's
> first settlers; but I'm not sure that's correct.
> On early maps it was called "Water", then it
> changed to "Cologne", next it was "Heldmaier", and
> finally to Eleanor.
>

It was also 25st

I don't think it was named in her lifetime.
Up here we have Ellen st and Marion ct named after Ellen Marion Kinzie, their daughter.

I suspect that at some time they were cleaning up multiple names and someone said; "Hey, who haven't used yet?".

AD:

Date: August 29, 2013 10:21PM

[b]I remember comming from work taking the Racine Bus from jackson and it went south to cermak and wet down Thoop street over the bridge. That was in the 50's there may be remains ofthat bridge on the north side of the river.[/b]

AD:

Date: August 29, 2013 10:52PM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
> I remember comming from work taking the Racine Bus
> from jackson and it went south to cermak and wet
> down Thoop street over the bridge. That was in the
> 50's there may be remains ofthat bridge on the
> north side of the river.

Richard, Maybe you were on the Loomis street bridge.

What puzzles me about the bridges is whether ships like the Throop street bridge allowed ships to pass under them; they weren't lift or swing bridges here, I suspect?

The maps also show Eleanor street only a few hundred feet from, and parallel to, the south branch of the river, where ship canals or slips were dug. And this area --- in the three decades of the 19th century, the historians say --- was part of the lumber district from Damen Ave.east to Halsted; where hundreds of lumber ships arrived daily.

By the way, a web site about Chicago bridges:

http://www.chicagoloopbridges.com/MovableCR.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2013 10:45AM by nordsider.

AD:

Date: August 30, 2013 10:37AM

[b]No I remember distintly it was Throop Street in fact the little csl bus read Throop above the windshield. It was throop st. I remember the buildings between cermak and the water and there still there.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2013 09:50PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: August 30, 2013 11:04AM

> No I remember distintly it was Throop Street in
> fact the little csl bus sait Throop above the
> windshield. it was throop st. I remember the
> buildings between cermak and the water and there
> still there.

Richard,
I believe you. See a Google street satellite view of the area of the Throop street bridge; there seems to be some remnants of it --- with more magnification, the outline of the bridge on the north and south rive banks.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=throop+%26+eleanor,+chicago&hl=en&sll=39.739318,-89.266507&sspn=7.263645,13.359375&t=h&hnear=S+Throop+St+%26+S+Eleanor+St,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60608&z=16

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: August 30, 2013 06:43PM

PKDickman Wrote:
> nordsider Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > The street that piqued my interest in the area
> was
> > Eleanor Street, which according to a book on
> > street names claimed that it was named for
> Eleanor
> > Kinzie, wife of John Kinzie, one of Chicago's
> > first settlers; but I'm not sure that's
> correct.
> > On early maps it was called "Water", then it
> > changed to "Cologne", next it was "Heldmaier",
> and
> > finally to Eleanor.
> >
>
> It was also 25st
>
> I don't think it was named in her lifetime.
> Up here we have Ellen st and Marion ct named after
> Ellen Marion Kinzie, their daughter.
>
> I suspect that at some time they were cleaning up
> multiple names and someone said; "Hey, who haven't
> used yet?".

I did some more checking and the name was changed in 1919 according to the trib archives.

BLOTTING GERMAN NAMES FROM CITY MAP: Plan to Rename Streets for U. S. Heroes Up Today.
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1922) [Chicago, Ill] 03 Jan 1919: 13.
Cologne was the offending name

The bridge was apparently there until the eighties. (Historic aerials) and the plat map shows the piece of Throop between Eleanor and the river vacated in 1986.

AD:

Date: August 31, 2013 05:20PM

PKDickman Wrote:
> I did some more checking and the name was changed
> in 1919 according to the trib archives.
>
> BLOTTING GERMAN NAMES FROM CITY MAP: Plan to
> Rename Streets for U. S. Heroes Up Today.
> Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1922) 03 Jan 1919:
> 13.
> Cologne was the offending name
>
> The bridge was apparently there until the
> eighties. (Historic aerials) and the plat map
> shows the piece of Throop between Eleanor and the
> river vacated in 1986.

Thanks for the information.

AD:

Date: August 31, 2013 05:21PM

Information I just discovered regarding the old Throop and Fuller Street bridges:

Bridge Out For Good

http://forgottenchicago.com/features/bridge-out-for-good/

AD:

Date: August 31, 2013 09:48PM

[b]Back in the early 50's I worked at Fr. Kelly's Home for boys on Jackson and racine. I took a bus on Racine that seemed to be made of wood that went to cermak and turned right to throop and then went over the bridge and I got off at Archer ave. Don't know how much further that small wooden bus went from there. That was the only bus in Chicago I ever saw of wood.[I read that there are remenats of street car tracks on Throop but I never saw them myself./b]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2013 08:28PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: September 01, 2013 01:43PM

> Back in the early 50's I worked at Fr. Kelly's
> Home for boys on Jackson and racine. I took a
> busthat seemed to be made of wood that went to
> cermak and turned rich to thrr=oop and then wen
> over the brodge and I got off at Archer ave.
> Don't know how much further that wooden bus went
> from there. That was the only bus in Chicago I
> eversaw of wood.

The wooden bus on Throop street that transported you to Archer Avenue, sounds to me a fitting experience in an old Bridgeport. I well remember many bus rides down Bridgeport's Archer Ave. in the mid 50s, and now see many buildings along it that no longer exist; when viewed via Google street view. I remember passing St.Bridget church, that is now gone.

AD:

Posted by: Deejo ()
Date: September 04, 2013 04:35AM

I went to school at St. Ignatius at 12th near Racine in the early '80's. A kid I knew there was from the SW side and his brother had graduated about 10 years earlier. His brother told him he could get home from school by taking the Throop Street bus down to Archer, and then the Archer bus home. Well, after school the first day of freshman year, he went over to Throop and Roosevelt, in the middle of the ABLA homes, and waited for the bus. And waited and waited. The bus never came. Apparently between the time his brother graduated in the mid-'70's and when we were there in the early '80's they had abandoned the route, probably in part due to the phasing out and/or eventual demolition of the bridge.

AD:

Date: September 04, 2013 12:12PM

I can't help imagining the area surrounding the Throop Street bridge being a very busy place back when the canal boats were transferring their cargo of grain, and the lake schooners unloaded lumber. And also, an early 19th century writer --- a former British soldier from the War of 1812 --- that wrote a novel about Lee's Farm, located just east of the north end of the bridge.

AD:

Date: September 05, 2013 10:43AM

Within a block from the intersection of Eleanor and Throop streets is a home that was dated back to the time of the Chicago Fire, located at 2714 S. Hillock.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2714+S+Hillock+Ave,+Chicago,+IL&hl=en&ll=41.844432,-87.658164&spn=0.000032,0.013046&sll=39.739318,-89.266507&sspn=7.263645,13.359375&oq=2714+S.+Hillock&hnear=2714+S+Hillock+Ave,+Chicago,+Illinois+60608&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=41.844432,-87.658164&panoid=sTCTgQ31na98MTBpseJImw&cbp=12,326.42,,0,0

Some information regarding the women who researched this house:

http://www.lakeclaremont.com/Authors/DuMelle.php

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2013 01:21PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown ()
Date: September 07, 2013 12:39AM

Why is that unusual? The Fire was miles to the north. There must be dozens of pre-Fire buildings in Bridgeport and Pilsen.

AD:

Date: September 07, 2013 09:18AM

Mr Downtown Wrote:
> Why is that unusual? The Fire was miles to the
> north. There must be dozens of pre-Fire buildings
> in Bridgeport and Pilsen.

If only these walls could talk, old-house owners ponder. Imagine the stories they could tell.

AD:

Date: September 07, 2013 01:43PM

[b]Was orifinal Bridgeport between Ancher and the canal like on Elenore & Fuller the east side of the Canalport bridge?[/b]

AD:

Date: September 07, 2013 02:04PM

> Was orifinal Bridgeport between Ancher and the
> canal like on Elenore & Fuller the east side of
> the Canalport bridge?

Richard,

From what I've read Bridgeport is bounded by the river on the north and west, by West 31st Street on the south and by Halsted Street on the east . . . and, its original name was Canalport. I'm sorry but I am not aware of a bridge called 'Canalport' ?

AD:

Date: September 07, 2013 07:00PM

[b]The canalport bridge was the one from fuller st across what today is the park. you can see it on aeriel photos and topos like1800's[/b]

AD:

Date: September 07, 2013 11:21PM

[b]Go to "Bridge out for good forgotten chicago. There that bridge is mentioned and Ashland ave was canal port and the bridge was called that connected Fuller st with Ashland then Canalport.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown ()
Date: September 08, 2013 10:57PM

Canalport was a now-forgotten subdivision (and possibly small settlement) on the north side of the river west of Ashland. As you might expect, Canalport Avenue led to it. The streets were all angled to match the canal, but that subdivision was later abandoned and traditional Chicago subdivisions (oriented to the section lines) built instead.

It's easy to see on this 1863 map:

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/lib/public/full_screen.html?http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/collections/maps/chifire/G4104-C6-1863-V3-SWC/

AD:

Date: September 09, 2013 10:18AM

[b]great information I didn't know. Thanks[/b]

AD:

Date: September 09, 2013 10:29AM

The map --- Rees & Rucker Map of Chicago and Vicinity, 1849, shows "Fell's Addition".

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/10343.html

Jesse W. Fell was a land owner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_W._Fell

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact