Captain54, Where Are You?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Captain54, Where Are You?
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: July 24, 2013 09:53PM

Does anyone know what happened to Captain54? I haven't seen him post here in quite some time...

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Captain54, Where Are You?
Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: July 25, 2013 09:41AM

I often wonder that myself, and also Artista.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: July 25, 2013 10:06AM

And shekaago too?

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: July 26, 2013 06:47PM

I used to post here a lot as well but stopped and went over to the FC group on Facebook. It's much easier to post photos there than here.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: July 31, 2013 03:23PM

I'm still here! :-) Just have had more hours at my job lately.

I've been wondering about Artista too.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: August 01, 2013 02:57AM

Rustymuscle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used to post here a lot as well but stopped and
> went over to the FC group on Facebook. It's much
> easier to post photos there than here.

I don't do Facebook myself so I feel a bit left out. I agree though, that posting photos and other stuff on this site is less than an easy task. That's unfortunate since this is the public portal of Forgotten Chicago and the very subject itself lends itself to photos.

AD:

Date: August 01, 2013 09:44AM

I'm not a fan of Facebook, sometimes I think about signing on just to see the FC posts there. But, I just hate Facebook!

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank ()
Date: August 16, 2013 02:44AM

Guys, take this from me....the Forgotten Chicago Facebook site SUCKS. I mean it's absolutely horrible. There are 9,000 people registered there with a million topics posted per day with 500 morons posting all at the same time. For instance, there's a picture of Al Capone's house listed with no address in the initial post. There was 10 different goof balls asking where it was located because NONE of them wanted to take the time to read the comments. it's a bunch of people that have 5 seconds to read and make annoying posts and most never stop back and read what the hell is going on. There are rival factions waring there on a daily basis over "remember when" posts vs. the Facebook pages stated mission which is to only talk about Chicago's built environment that goes overlooked. Most of the good posters have left and started other sites leaving only "casual" posters with very little knowledge or research skills. Plus the moderators treat it like they treat this site, they are totally absent. It's basically a cluster eff free for all. You are NOT missing anything. I really wish that this site would have gotten more traffic because a forum venue for this type of thing is WAY better then facebook where it is to hard to search and view archives.

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: August 16, 2013 12:58PM

Frank,

Have to agree with you. And when you "try" to explain what that site is about, arguments break out, sabers are drawn and arrows are removed from their quivers. I'm waiting for boiling oil next.

There are now >9K "members" on the FC FB site. I suspect a large percentage of those folks don't "get it".

In closing, there are 3 things I've tried to teach my kids.

#1. There ain't no such thing as one trip to the hardware store.

#2. Avoid maiden voyages.

#3. Beware the general public. <--- this one especially applies to the FB discussion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 01:13PM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank ()
Date: August 16, 2013 01:45PM

LOL, Great advice Dave!

AD:

Date: August 16, 2013 03:59PM

Frank, Dave;
That's what I figured, no Facebook for me. LOL!

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: September 03, 2013 08:09PM

I went over to the FC group on Facebook in 2011 as this forum seemed to slip. The FC group on Facebook was actually quite good for a while. However, last year a big blow up caused several excellent researchers to leave. There were times I would spend a weekend researching cool Chicago history, not anymore. It's been on the decline since and in fact, now it's just a shell of it's former self.

Additionally, Facebook, as noted, has dozens of Chicago history related groups and they all seem to offer much the same. And if anyone dares offers to enforce the guidelines at the FC facebook group, look out. The member will be tarred and feathered because people love "remember when." It's like that here, but seems more manageable than there.

It may come back, hope so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2013 08:11PM by Rustymuscle.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact