The Short Business District on 4600-4700 N.Francisco

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
The Short Business District on 4600-4700 N.Francisco
Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2012 12:19PM

Looks like it had several businesses long ago. Though I believe the cleaners still exists. But they also had a tavern, grocery store, etc. Looks like they had a few more busineses that were rarely known or uncommon down those side streets. Can anybody name a few that existed there in the past?.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: The Short Business District on 4600-4700 N.Francisco
Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2012 04:29PM

I checked the 1929 Polk directory for a snapshot of that block...

4627 N. Francisco - Ravenswood Manor Gardens Park District

4630 N. Francisco - Eastwood Pharmacy Drugs

4634 N. Francisco - Hansen, Jacob and Son Tailors

4636 N. Francisco - Winterson and Co. Real Estate

4650 N. Francisco - Chicago Rapid Transit Lines Co., Francisco Station

Same Address - Sawyer, Max News Dir.

That's all I found.

AD:

Posted by: JimboS (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 22, 2013 03:26PM

My Brothers and I delivered newspapers back in the late fifties between Kedzie and the river and Lawrence to Montrose. The three of us would meet at the corner drugstore on Francisco for plain or chocolate phosphates - 2 cents plain, 5 cents chocolate. I seem to recall they also had Green River but I may be wrong.
Just as a note I think we made 1/2 cent per newspaper delivered. We delivered the Tribune in the morning and the Daily news in the afternoon.

AD:

Posted by: Business7007 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2013 08:19PM

I'm quite sure that the original origin of this somewhat oddly placed shopping "District" was the direct result of the Ravenswood L stop that was right there. The L line reached that point and on to Kimball in December, 1907 when the line was extended on the ground West of Western which was and still is the end of the true elevated. Stores right at hand would be a natural draw for people using the L. The same kind of thing exists at the Rockwell stop which is the next one East.

AD:

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2014 02:14AM

This one's really off the wall, but in the 1960s there was a place at 4667 N. Francisco, 3 doors from the tracks, called Plate Blocks, Inc. Their business was the sale of blocks of stamps to collectors.

Mikey

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact