Town of Lake Dairy

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Town of Lake Dairy
Posted by: coops4 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2012 01:05AM

I drove through the Back of Yards today and noticed a building with "Town of Lake Dairy' etched in the concrete on the face of the building. I know the area was annexed in 1889 but couldn't find any further info. The building was at approx. 4637 S. Laflin (I couldn't get the actual address). Anybody have any info on this place?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Town of Lake Dairy
Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 06:54PM

Many businesses used the name :Town of Lake" as part of there identity. I don't believe that goes back to before incorporation. Remember the title Town of Lake refers to the political townships that much of the country east of the Mississippi was divided into after extensive surveying. Each was 6 miles square, or 36 sq miles, and was then divided into sections of a mile square each. The divisions don't mean much in urban areas, other than when they are used for the legal description for a lot or other property, such as the sw 1/4 of the northeast 1/2 of section 36, or something like that, They are still used extensively in rural areas. I believe Town of Lake's north border was 39th street, and the south border was 87th, which would be 6 miles. The Encyclopedia of Chicago lists the east border as State St., an d the west border as Crawford (Pulaski), which would only be 5 miles. They did sometimes alter the basick dimensions for natural obstructions and probably because of some political interference of some kind.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2012 12:16AM

[b]We all saw it as another name for the Back of the Yards.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2012 05:13PM

There actually was a "Town of Lake". It had a charter and a board of trustees, who,(based on the historic trib archives) were a bunch of crooks and/or incompetent.

They were cheerfully swallowed up with the annexation but seemed to maintain some community identity up into the 1950's. There was a TOL chamber of commerce and a TOL community senate. In the archive, after 1960 the phrase "Town of Lake" peters out. It only seems to be used in conjunction with the TOL VFW Hall and in some ads for an appliance store called the Town of Lake Utilities,

AD:

Posted by: Steve B. (74.7.39.---)
Date: January 24, 2012 05:57PM

The "Back of the Yards" was one of two neighborhoods in what was called "New City", the other being Canaryville to the east. New City was a small part of "Town of Lake", which got its name from the swamp that prevailed all the way to Western Avenue, which at that time was the western city limits. I lived above that "Town of Lake VFW Post # 5216" on 43rd and Honore. The Back of the Yards Neighborhood Council may have more specific information regarding this area.

AD:

Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: January 24, 2012 08:07PM

There is a "Town of Lake" Directory online, complete with all the names of the board of directors, etc. Just click on the "Read Online" link to see the directory. I did a quick search and couldn't determine if the dairy is listed in there.

http://www.archive.org/details/townoflakedirect00rrdo

AD:

Date: January 24, 2012 08:28PM

This history of Cook County book gives a good overview of the Town of Lake starting on page 322:

http://books.google.com/books?id=MtUpAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA324&dq=%22town+of+lake%22+cook+county&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qD0fT7W3I4aYgwfNpZGcDw&ved=0CDwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22town%20of%20lake%22%20&f=false

AD:

Date: January 24, 2012 08:34PM

The township of Lake does still exist, although people rarely identify with the townships anymore. The boundaries of Lake Township were historicaly 39th street to the north, 87th street to the south, State Street to the east and Cicero Avenue to the west, but were extended at some point to include the Chicago neighborhoods of Clearing and Garfield Ridge afer they were annexed to the city from 1915-1923.

AD:

Date: January 24, 2012 09:11PM

[b]I looked on google street view and couldn't fint the sign at 46th and laflin. I'm from back of the yards and very familiar with the area.[/b]

AD:

Date: January 25, 2012 10:31AM

Thanks for all the information guys. I am still searching for information. My late father-in-law was a vintage bottle collector and probably could of gave me some insight. Richard I looked too and the sign is covered by a tree on the parkway. THe building is just north of the McDonalds on google street view. Next time I'm over there I might just knock on the door. Many times the property's owners know the history of their building. My family used to to be members of the Settler's Club on the corner down the block.

AD:

Date: January 26, 2012 12:48AM

[b]Thanks for the information. I will look again.[/b]coops4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for all the information guys. I am still
> searching for information. My late father-in-law
> was a vintage bottle collector and probably could
> of gave me some insight. Richard I looked too and
> the sign is covered by a tree on the parkway. THe
> building is just north of the McDonalds on google
> street view. Next time I'm over there I might just
> knock on the door. Many times the property's
> owners know the history of their building. My
> family used to to be members of the Settler's Club
> on the corner down the block.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (70.58.230.---)
Date: January 31, 2012 08:18PM

What an interesting post! I looked up that area in the old Sanborn Fire Maps and found, in Volume 13 from 1925 (section 50), that there was a milk depot located at 4631 Laflin. The earlier map/version of Volume 13 gave no indication of any dairy or milk depot at that location. I then looked up the Cook County Assessor's records on the 4631 Laflin building which shows it to be approx. 101 years old. As far as finding any information about the Dairy itself, I have not been successful at all. I will keep searching, though!

[url=http://www.cookcountyassessor.com/Property_Search/Property_Large_Image.aspx?transfer_string1=http://www.cookcountyassessor.com/Property_Search/Property_Large_images_Output/20053090130000_AA.JPG]4631 S. Laflin Photo[/url]

[url=http://cookcountyassessor.com/Property_Search/Property_Details.aspx?Pin=20053090130000]4631 S. Laflin[/url]

AD:

Date: February 01, 2012 07:08PM

That is great. That 4631 S. Laflin building is one I was talking about. I looked into old dairy bottles from the Chicago area. There must be some old embossed bottles if it was a milk depot,... unless it sold milk to independent distributors.
Thanks.

AD:

Date: February 02, 2012 12:11PM

[b]Most all buildings that come right up to the side walk were some kind of business like a grocery store or like you say a milk distributor. You can see on the picture that it was once bricked in as so many old stores in Chicago.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2012 12:12PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: February 07, 2012 07:19PM

Here's an interesting little blurb in Chicago's Health, January 1916 publication (Google Books), Pg. 153 in the upper right column, about a John Matusik being fined $5.00 for failing to properly label caps on milk bottles. I thought perhaps having the last name might help you in your search.

[url=http://books.google.com/ebooks/reader?id=CCAiAQAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&pg=GBS.PA153]John Matusik[/url]

AD:

Date: February 08, 2012 09:43PM

Wow...you're good. That is a very interesting piece you dug up. Thanks.

AD:

Date: February 09, 2012 05:25PM

You're very welcome! I'm not really that good, just very persistent! :-)

AD:

Date: February 14, 2012 11:50PM

[b]I looked up the address on Polk's Chicago 1929 directory but it didn't show any kind of buisines there at that address. It must have been before 1929.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 11:51PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2013 05:29PM

There was a dairy on the corner 0f 48 Th. ans Seeley; ie. Seeley Dairy. I have one of their old milk bottles and some rare old 8mm footage of the trucks lined up waiting to be loaded, sometime around 1957. My dad was an independant milk distributor who sols Seeley Milk unti their demise , about 1970?

AD:

Posted by: sarabaloch (39.48.138.---)
Date: May 03, 2013 04:31AM

Thanks for sharing such a great information with us its really informativeand impressive and interesting . i m looking forward to see more post like that keep it up .

[URL=http://www.chicagoairportlimos.us/]Cheap Limo Service in Chicago[/URL]

AD:

Posted by: mookie (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 15, 2013 04:38PM

Seeley Dairy was my favorite place to go.
As a kid I stopped there in the morning for chocolate milk.
As a teen at night we all hung out on that corner.
I used to live at 4714 s. seeley.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2013 06:01PM

[b]Well I guess we were nieghbors. I'm from 50th & Wolcott across from cornell park.[/b]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 11:35PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: November 08, 2013 11:26PM

I may of found a bit of info on this dairy/depot. Thanks to shekaago, I Google searched 'Matusik dairy' and came up with an article from the Daily News from 22 May 2010. The Matusik named was shortened from Matuskiewicz, Polish immigrants who had a southside dairy in Chicago. Joe Matusik and his wife may have run/owned a milk depot which was supplied by their farm. My guess is that the article talks of their son, born in 1919, a year when the dairy farm and/or depot would of been operational..I know the Back of Yards neighborhood is very old so I am not sure of when they speak of a dairy farm if they meant this location or another. Thanks Shekaago.

AD:

Date: November 11, 2013 02:32PM

Coops4, very interesting find!

AD:

Posted by: KCgeno (---.dyn.everestkc.net)
Date: March 18, 2014 05:18AM

I grew up at 55th and Oakley. We got our milk delivered to the door by Angelo Lordis, in his Seeley Dairy van. I remember in the late '60s (early '70s?) that Seeley was bought-out by Wanzer.

I also remember my mom and I walking past the Seeley plant at 48th and Seeley when I was pretty small. We shouted "Hi Angie!" to Mr. Lordis.

I found an obit in the Tribune a couple of years ago, for Angelo. Nice guy! I remember him well. I believe he was born in Greece.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-85.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2014 02:59PM

KCgeno Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I grew up at 55th and Oakley. We got our milk
> delivered to the door by Angelo Lordis, in his
> Seeley Dairy van. I remember in the late '60s
> (early '70s?) that Seeley was bought-out by
> Wanzer.
>
> I also remember my mom and I walking past the
> Seeley plant at 48th and Seeley when I was pretty
> small. We shouted "Hi Angie!" to Mr. Lordis.
>
> I found an obit in the Tribune a couple of years
> ago, for Angelo. Nice guy! I remember him well.
> I believe he was born in Greece.

Sorry to hear about Mr. Lordis' passing. I went to Marquette Elementary with his son George. They must have been polar opposites in temperament, and that's all I'm going to say about it!

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 19, 2014 01:26AM

In my Edgewater neighborhood the milk was delivered by the Twin Oaks Dairy. Don't know where it was located or what became of it, but I do remember the gallon bottles that were vaguely cube shaped so that four of them could fit snugly in a crate. The company mascot was imprinted in red on each bottle. It was a squirrel named Tod ([b]T[/b]win [b]O[/b]aks [b]D[/b]airy) and there were a couple of acorns as well to drive home the point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 01:15AM by Mornac.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 08:18PM

My Father first delivered Seeley Milk Their Motto Was Drink Seeley For Really Good Milk. after Wanzer bought out all of the old Seeley accounts they closed the Dairy. most of the customers weren't happy with the wanzer products and the independent distributors like my dad, bought into a new company that was owned by the distributors. It was TWIN OAKS Dairy. they had several loading stations including one on Southwest Highway and Lawndale. The squirrel on the truck was actually a chipmunk named Tod for Twin Oaks Dairy. I still have 2 Seeley Dairy Milk Bottles and a metal Cooler from Twin Oaks Dairy

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2015 09:12PM

[b]What was the address of the Seely Dairy /[/b]

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2015 01:49PM

More info and pictures on Seely Dairy: Rich I think they were in zip code 60661.

http://www.seeley-society.net/attic/attic14.html

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact