St. John of God becoming St. Raphael the Archangel

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
St. John of God becoming St. Raphael the Archangel
Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 02:48PM

For those interested, here's a link to a flickr set that details the construction site of a new church being built in northern Lake County.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/k9jdk/sets/72157627114661800/

A Back of the Yards church, St. John of God, was disassembled and its exterior parts are now begin used to build the new St. Raphael the Archangel church on Route 45 a short distance south of Rt 173. St. John of God was originally located at 1238 W. 52nd street.

The interior of the new church is coming from St. Peter Canisius, another shuttered Chicago church.

The new church's organ is coming from the Medinah Temple, now a Bloomindale home store.

As you can see, this is quite a unique project. Interesting for me, because my mom and dad and their families lived in the Back fo the Yards area and I now live close to the new church that was once St. John of God.

This is also being discussed on the FC facebook page.

Here's a WBEZ link with more background information:

http://www.wbez.org/bey/2010/03/photos-south-sides-st-john-of-god-church/17799

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2011 05:39PM by daveg.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: St. John of God becoming St. Raphael the Archangel
Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 03:03PM

Correct me if I am mistaken, but wasn't St. John of God at about 53rd and Throop or Ada, just north of Sherman Park? Wasn't there a St Rafael's somewhere around the south side. I seem to remember playing them in basketball in the mid 50's or so.

AD:

Date: December 12, 2011 03:56PM

jak378 - I'm fairly certain St. John of God was located on 52nd between Loomis and Racine. 52nd is the northern border of Sherman Park.

I'll poke around and see if I can find anything about St. Raphael in Chicago.

AD:

Date: December 12, 2011 04:22PM

Looks like St. Raphael was located at 6020 S. Laflin, closed in 1989.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=152940633021#!/group.php?gid=152940633021&v=info

AD:

Date: December 12, 2011 05:14PM

Forgot to mention, St. Peter Canisius was located at 5057 W. North Ave.

More on its story located here:

http://stpetercanisiusschool.com/scliveson.html

Nice video of the dedication ceremony of St. Raphael the Archangel can be seen in the link.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 10:35AM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 02:49PM

Thanks Daveg. It seems to me that St. John of God was in operation into the 90's. I seem to remember a large closing ceremony there around that time. It was actually just across the street from Sherman Park.

Thanks for the reminder of St. Raphael's. I was fairly certain it was in that area somewhere. It was odd, in that I went to St. Basil at 55 and Honore, and for a year or so lived at 58th and Bishop, which was much closer to St. Raphael than it was to St. Basil. Unfortunately 59th Street was the border between the two, and back then the Diocese was pretty rigid about honoring boundaries. It was just as welll though since I was in 7th and 8th grade when we moved there and wouldn't have wanted to switch for a year or two anyway. It was a long, cold walk to school though in Janury and February.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 04:33PM by jak378.

AD:

Posted by: lursa1967 (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: December 29, 2011 12:04AM

My mother grew up in the parish and lived there till the 40's. She, my uncles and cousins were married there. Last time we were in the neighborhood was in 1984 for my cousin's wedding which occurred right after the crying Madonna incident. Mom lived on Throop street and my aunt and uncle lived on Elizabeth. Their houses have since been torn down. Mom is now 90 and I can not wait to take her to see the church rebuilt.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2011 11:02PM

[b][/b]

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact