Meigs Field

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Meigs Field
Posted by: Franky.LEoN (---.Alorica.com)
Date: April 26, 2008 01:36PM

I'm not expecting to see any current pictures of someone actually coming in for approach since the fields been closed. Just maybe a few shots to remind us of Daleys tact, foresight and subtlety. I just am holding some hope that the someone, sure as hell not daley, but someone might get it operational again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2010 02:50PM by appleuzer.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Meigs Field
Posted by: Serhii (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 01, 2008 04:58AM

You should fly in and land there, just to make a point. Of course, you'll be infamous - reviled and loved at the same time. And oh yeah, arrested.

AD:

Posted by: johncobb (---.dps.state.ny.us)
Date: December 21, 2010 10:34AM

I and so many other Democrats are so happy to hear that Daley is not going to run again - while I no longer live in Chicago, i've sat back and watched in horror as that "Mayor" carved X's into Meig's runways in the middle of the night.

What a sneaky bastard.

What would have happened if there was an emergency and a Life Flight was needed?

He didn't give a crap about anything else other than his own self-serving agenda.

And he could give a crap about Chicagoan's as a whole.

http://www.friendsofmeigs.org/

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 05:05PM

I'm glad the airport is gone.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2010 11:09PM

I agree davey7. The only real purpose for Meigs Field, at least for the last couple of decades, was only for the elite. The new, long term plan to give Northerly Island back to all the citizens is a much more equitable use for it. Daley pays homage to the views of Montgomery Ward and keeps the lake access available to all.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 11:33AM

I also agree with davey7 along with the points made by b.a. hoarder, but I wonder if the airport could have been closed in a less dramatic fashion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 11:35AM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 05:35PM

Agreed with davey7, I don't like how Daley did it. But I think that land could be better used. Meigs field is now part of "forgotten Chicago"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 05:37PM by 222psm.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: December 22, 2010 06:32PM

The airport should have been a site similar to the Maier festival grounds in Milwaukee, It would certainly be more efficient than Grant Park for such. Although I'd did think Daley's approach to getting rid of Meigs Field was a bit too stealthy.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2010 12:11AM

I do agree that it wasn't one of Daley's better ideas from a PR standpoint, but on the other hand it surely avoided a prolonged and costly court battle had he done things through the legal system.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 15, 2016 10:38PM

When was Meigs Field torn down or is it still there and not in use. I left Chicago in 1991, however, growing up we would go down to Grant Park and/or the museums and always took the opportunity to watch the pipper cubs take off at Meigs.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-66.myvzw.com)
Date: January 16, 2016 12:18AM

SWEDE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When was Meigs Field torn down or is it still
> there and not in use. I left Chicago in 1991,
> however, growing up we would go down to Grant Park
> and/or the museums and always took the opportunity
> to watch the pipper cubs take off at Meigs.

The runways were torn out, and it was landscaped.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2016 10:00PM

Thanks Jeff.

AD:

Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2016 03:49AM

I have to disagree with those that think only elites fly. I've known several blue collar guys that owned and flew airplanes. When I was a kid it was a thrill to go to 12 street beach and watch the small planes fly in and out. There used to be a helicopter service that flew from Midway to Meigs to O'Hare. I once used that service in 1972, It cost $10 one way.

I think it was more elitist (and sour grapes) to close Meigs to build a park no one uses. If they wanted to go back to nature, Northerly Island should have been dismantled as it was man made for the 1933 World's Fair. Heck everything east of Michigan Avenue is unnatural landfill. Should it be sunk back into the lake?

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact