1950 Community Settlement Map by the City Dept. of Development and Planning

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
1950 Community Settlement Map by the City Dept. of Development and Planning
Posted by: appleuzer (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2011 07:28PM

found this on [url=http://www.windycitizen.com]windycitizen.com[/url] today, worth a look:

-Mike Damian
ForgottenChicago.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2011 07:29PM by appleuzer.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: 1950 Community Settlement Map by the City Dept. of Development and Planning
Posted by: Elaine W (192.175.17.---)
Date: February 09, 2011 12:35AM

I suspect that somebody "photoshopped" this, because there are several discrepancies here. The first thing I noticed was that one of the ethnic groups was labeled "black" but in 1950 the much more common expression was "Negro." Then I realized that the date on the top--1950--does not correspond to the Mayor's name--Richard J. Daley. Daley was elected in 1955; Martin Kennelly was mayor in 1950. The northwest area of the map also seems to show O'Hare airport, which was annexed to Chicago sometime in the 1950's. This needs more research to figure out what it really is.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 04:04AM

Well, the O'Hare area boundries are not in bold, showing old and new city limits. It is dated 1976 in lower right, so it's a historical map, not one created in 1950.

AD:

Posted by: Elaine W (192.175.17.---)
Date: February 10, 2011 12:28AM

Thanks, Tomcat. I couldn't read all the small print, like the 1976 on lower right. Richard J. was still mayor in '76, so that part makes sense. I assume what was done was to take data from 1950 (probably from the census) and reprint it later, which also includes changing the language (from Negroes to Blacks). Come to think of it, 1976 was the Bicentennial of the American revolution, and there were a lot of events related to US history connected to the celebrations, so reprinting historical maps of Chicago in 1976 makes sense.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact