western avenue bridge

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
western avenue bridge
Posted by: paw (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 03:39AM

Didn't the canal bridge used to have a curvy metal design spanning both sides. Was this removed? Or was that at Kedzie? I know the old Damen canal bridge had it before being rebuilt.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: western avenue bridge
Posted by: paw (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 06:45PM

I'm guessing the curvy designs were Kedzie and Damen. Anyone remember them? Are there any other bridges left like them?

AD:

Posted by: Serhii (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 04:19AM

http://www.trolleybuses.net/chi/htm/usa_h_chi_mh_9500_rt52kedzieindustrialcanal_19680922_ss.htm

Link to a pic of the Kedzie bridge. There are some circular designs visible above the back of the bus.

Here's another - http://www.trolleybuses.net/chi/htm/usa_h_chi_mh_9512_rt52kedzieindustrialcanal_19680324_ss.htm

AD:

Posted by: paw (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2008 06:31PM

Wow that is different than I remember. I wonder if there was an interim design. Or if the other bridge was not Kedzie either. Same idea though.

AD:

Date: March 10, 2008 01:38PM

I never use it but I just went over the Ashland Canal bridge on Google and that is kind of the design I am talking about. It was definitely on Damen ands one other street. Maybe Kedzie had the style shown in trolleybus and the Asland style cause Damen had both I beleive.

AD:

Posted by: Jacob (---.arm-bsr1.chi-arm.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 10:46PM

Damen was actually a long art deco viaduct over the railroads (later the Stevenson too) and the canal. It was rebuilt along with the Stevenson reconstruction. The actual bridge probably was a bascule design similar to Ashland (and many other bridges in the city). Pictures are hard to come across for that one.

Of course, there was the other famous viaduct on Damen, between Pershing and 47th. Also hard to find pictures of... anyone know of any?

--
Jacob Kaplan - Editor
Forgotten Chicago

AD:

Date: March 10, 2008 11:32PM

It was two distinctly different metal designs. one was like Ashland, one covered.

AD:

Posted by: hipoldguy (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 11:14PM

Google Earth if far from up to date...they show the Archer overpass at Ashland, it has been gone for a couple years.

AD:

Date: March 12, 2008 07:32PM

Streetview looks right. That has to be a few years ago though.

AD:

Date: March 13, 2008 12:46AM

Btw. I am dumb. There are several bridges with the old Damen (uncovered) design. Canal, halsted, California, and Cicero in addition to Ashland. No excuses cause I crossed Cicero many times. I mean yes Damen was more wide open and longer and had duel designs and overall was the coolest, but I truly convinced myself there were only two with that style and that Cicero was not one of them.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact