Brown elevated trains

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Brown elevated trains
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2010 01:07AM

[b]Remember the brown elevated trains that had seats made with straw or wicker or something like that? Also street cars that you could stand on the outside step or hang on the back like we did going to school.[/b]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Brown elevated trains
Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: March 01, 2010 11:40AM

I remember the straw or wicker seats when I was a wee lad. I also remember chewing on the stuff on the top of the seat in from of me for some reason. I recall my Mom putting a stop to that pronto.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 11:48AM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 03:29PM

auuugh. i bet your mom didn't kiss you for MONTHS.

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 12:11AM

I may have ridden on those L cars when picking up the Evanston Express. The trains had cane seats and could have survived in service into the 60s.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 07:43PM

[b]Ithink I was a teen at the time of those old cars. Like in the 50's We would ride them from 51st to downtown when cutting school at Tilden Tech.[ /b]

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2010 01:07AM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Also street cars that you could stand on the
> outside step or hang on the back like we did going
> to school.

I remember riding the street car on Clark St during their last days in about 1956. Many of them were housed in a long defunct "car barn" located just north of Devon near the present police station site.

AD:

Posted by: JBK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 03:22AM

I remember in 1958 or so when I was about 8 yrs young soaking wet riding in a long green CTA streetcar with a conductor stationed by the back doors....Passengers used CTA tokens to pay the fare. I assume tokens were used at the time to prevent robberies, etc...

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 12:52AM

Keep posting................

AD:

Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 05:23PM

The Illinois Railway museum hauls out their streetcars yearly. I think around 4th of July weekend. I only remember riding a streetcar once, the Western Avenue Green Hornet, Christmas time 1955. The IRM has a working Green Hornet at the museum. They also have an original el station from somewhere in Cicero.
It still smells the same. What was that aroma? Tar? They also have the older streetcars, A world's fair street car,one of two of the Electroliners, a Marmon Harrington trolley bus and various other trains from all over the USA.
They have a dedicate group of volunteers.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 07, 2016 03:45PM

slightly closer (to the city) than IRM in union is FOX RIVER TROLLEY MUSEUM on rte 31 in south elgin. me and the mrs have been there and rode their restored old trains (incl. CTA stuff). just as enjoyable on the trackage they have

http://foxtrolley.org

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 07, 2016 05:53PM

I went out to the Illinois Railway Museum a few years ago and found one of the old Addison Street buses I used to ride to school. Years ago, there were not just one, but three Addison Street buses in the morning, and those in the know always rode the Addison Heights Express (Red Sign) rather than the Limited (Green Sign) or the regular route. East of Cicero Avenue, the Express only stopped at bus stops where another bus line or train connected, so you made a lot better time. All of the buses continued down Addison to Lake Shore Drive, then down Michigan Avenue, to Congress, State, Washington, and back over the same route. The Express and Limited ran on the outer drive from Belmont to Oak Street, the regular bus ran on the Inner Drive/Sheridan Road/Stockton Drive to Michigan Avenue. The old time drivers who drove the route always preferred the old former Chicago Motor Coach GM "Old Look" buses that were numbered in the 600's. It was bus #609 sitting in the barn in Union, and I spent many a morning riding that bus down to Addison St. to Gordon Tech! Today, the Addison bus ends at Lake Shore Drive, and if you're trying to get downtown you have to transfer to either the Logan Square, Ravenswood, or Howard trains, and it only takes about twice as long to get there as in the past.

AD:

Re:FOX RIVER TROLLEY MUSEUM
Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2016 06:03PM

The Fox River Museum also has the articulated 3 car 500 series el. There were only 4 built.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-98.myvzw.com)
Date: January 12, 2016 03:04AM

With one exception, the brown cars were all wooden l cars. That one exception was a wood car repainted in the Mercury Green, Croydon Cream and Swamp Holley Orange paint scheme used on the 6000's. It even had a single onboard headlight installed at each end, similar to the early 6000's (just no headlight under the left-hand window), right below the motorman's window. Wish I had that CERA bulletin out with the color picture of it and could state the number.

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown (---.rcn.com)
Date: January 13, 2016 02:31AM

^Car 1812.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-71.myvzw.com)
Date: January 13, 2016 04:10AM

Mr Downtown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ^Car 1812.

Thanks.

I never understood why they only did one car like that.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact