the building at approx 3262 N. Narragansett ave

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: the building at approx 3262 N. Narragansett ave
Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 04, 2010 10:26AM

I understand, that Chicago cold is no joke, I've gotten spoiled with south Louisiana's mild winters. But we have had snow 2 times this winter, only about an inch or two but it's enough to shut down all the schools and government offices.
It's funny to see the drivers down here try to drive in snow, talk about a traffic nightmare!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.tmodns.net)
Date: March 04, 2010 11:28AM

Artista and 222psm -- If it would help, I can try to take some photos of the track that remains south of Diversey early next week. I live north of Belmont and just west of the old track bed but unfortunately nothing remains of the tracks (that I am aware of) north of Diversey except for some obscure clues to their long-ago existence.

AD:

Posted by: Artista (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2010 11:51AM

Hi Sheekaago (maybe the best user name here..lol) No problem if you'd like to get involved. I live on Natchez next door to the Galewood Metra. I was thinking of taking shots from Grand ave passing the Brickyard up to Diversey. Then to shoot north of Diversey of 'what use to be' for instance the residential area that use to be 'Kimball candy co' etc etc. all the way up to the Dunning spot. Another area that grabs my attention,,not that it has any connection to this,, is the club area at Narragansett and Gunnison, south west corner. Across the street from 'Elliots'(another very cool place that should be profiled soon)

AD:

Date: March 04, 2010 11:57AM

Shekaago that would be awesome, especially if you can get pictures of the obscure clues. Thanks in advance.

AD:

Date: March 04, 2010 12:19PM

Artista, that a good idea, thats how they did the Remnants of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's Brookdale Spur on the main site.

AD:

Posted by: graylander773 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2010 02:20PM

Hey guys I have some rough pics of this rail area actually. Will post shortly. *As well as the CTA/ComEd substation details :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 02:20PM by graylander773.

AD:

Date: March 04, 2010 04:39PM

Graylander~~~~ that's AWESOME if you could. Id LOVE to see the substation details as well ,,thanks

AD:

Date: March 04, 2010 04:58PM

Hey! Here is the link-- hope you like them. This is a very interesting story about Dunning and I love reading about defunct rail lines in Chicago.

The substation is beautiful-- look at that School St. entrance! :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48076639@N04/

I've also wondered about the rail line that lies at approx. 4600-4700 West, bordering on Kenton. It spans most of the length of the west/NW side. Is this still in use by Metra or freight?

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2010 06:14PM

That is a fantastic building. There's a very similar one (with probably a smiliar use), albeit abandoned, just south of 62nd Street on Prairie.

AD:

Date: March 04, 2010 07:00PM

Those are some EXCELLENT pictures! thank you so much graylander! That Old style fire hydrant is a amazing find. I also love reading about defunct and current rail lines. Thanks for getting the details at the sub station, It's hard or not possible to see on google maps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 07:02PM by 222psm.

AD:

Date: March 04, 2010 07:31PM

graylander773 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I've also wondered about the rail line that lies
> at approx. 4600-4700 West, bordering on Kenton. It
> spans most of the length of the west/NW side. Is
> this still in use by Metra or freight?

Those seem to be freight only, there are no Metra stations that I could find all up and down that line. I'm going to try and find out who owns the tracks. But they seem to be still in use, as further south it looks like they serve a bunch of industries.

AD:

Date: March 04, 2010 07:49PM

Re: the Dunning/School St pictures, thanks! I thought the hydrant was cool as well. I couldn't believe that old rail ties were kept around/in use near Nashville Ave. area.

I live near Addison and Milwaukee so the NW side is my backyard and I know it has a lot of history. Let me know if there's ever anything up here I can document... :)

Re: the Kenton Ave tracks, that would make sense. It looks like the Kenton Ave. line starts around 68th and runs to the 90/94 split where it merges with the Metra UP-NW line.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2010 03:57AM by graylander773.

AD:

Date: March 05, 2010 03:29AM

Gray' !! GREAT JOB. I could not have done any better. Thank you so much. By the way , i looked at that building 'Wardell mentioned on the Google maps street view. Another great old building similar to that of the Narragansett one albeit much LARGER. Thanks Wardell , ill be driving by that one too. By the way , im very curious about that vintage railroad roundhouse that is supposedly near Cicero and 22nd. It was mentioned and linked at a different topic here at FCF. I didnt spot it on the Google map aerial.Any of you know of it?

AD:

Date: March 05, 2010 09:33AM

Awesome photos, Graylander773! Thank you for posting them. And thanks, Artista. I love this site and would be so happy to be of any help. I'll do some exploring this weekend and see if I can find any other remnants of the tracks. The "Club" area you mention would be great to explore too. I believe there also used to be a golf course where Elliot's now stands.

AD:

Date: March 05, 2010 12:31PM

Thank you for the feedback, I am really glad you enjoy them. It was fun taking them!

I actually had a hard time picking out and detecting "clues" between Diversey and Addison where these tracks once were. Like I said there are the rail ties around Roscoe and the general narrowness of Nashville Ave where the rail right of way could/would have been. I think at Irving Park Rd, where the rail would have crossed, there is still a rise in the grade--you feel like you're going over tracks but there's nothing there.

AD:

Date: March 05, 2010 01:03PM

I'm glad to have started this topic and also glad to see that there are others here that share the same type of enthusiasm. When another walking tour is scheduled I hope you all will join in. 222 , I work for a major airlines at O'Hare so ill send you a 'buddy pass' then you'll have no excuses not to~ lol...I have been pondering the idea of contacting the current owner of the Narragansett property(more than likely ComEd),to see if i could get a walk through/tour of the building for the purpose of profiling for this website "ForgottenChicago". I don't know how successful I could be in that proposal, but i may try. Maybe the creators of this site can offer me tips.

AD:

Date: March 05, 2010 03:38PM

Good idea Artista!! :)

AD:

Date: March 05, 2010 08:16PM

I'd love to take a walking tour, thanks for the offer Artista.

the round house is here
N 41° 50.740 W 087° 44.447
copy and paste in google maps hit "search" and it will take you to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2010 08:25PM by 222psm.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 12:51AM

222, from the S those tracks near Kenton are part of the Belt Railway of Chicago and they do not terminate at 68th St, they continue ESE to a yard near 95th St. on the E side of the city. Going back N they parallel Kenton until they veer to the W and connect to the Milwaukee Road (or at least it was the MW RD, I don't know who has ownership now). The BRC, a consortium of 6 or 7 RR's, operates the Clearing Yard. BRC transfers cars to it's yards so they can be added to the correct train and also provides services for local industries.
The other tracks just to the N were Chicago & Northwestern and from the looks of things on Google maps used to connect to the Belt but now terminate as a single track around Cortland St.(1900 N).
I machined engine components for locomotives for 35 years at Electro-Motive in McCook. My primary interest in RR's is the diesel loco, but I would be happy to join the tour also.

AD:

Date: March 06, 2010 01:53PM

I see that now b.a. I was in map view, and in that mode it does not show the "cut" in the line, but in satellite mode you can see it at Cortland. Thanks.

AD:

Date: March 08, 2010 10:34AM

Hey Grey' the photo of the School st side entrance way has an accidental artistic value to it. The colors and balance~very cool. When i drove past it I thought it such a shame to see it painted over like that but at least there isn't degenerate graffiti.

AD:

Date: March 08, 2010 08:16PM

Thank you, I love that picture and I LOVE those lighting sconces. The School St. doorway looks beautiful and magical at the same time, LOL. I mean, who would design a municipal servicing station in that style nowadays? I wonder what it originally looked like.

AD:

Posted by: Johnny Sauganash (206.222.43.---)
Date: March 09, 2010 08:25PM

Interesting note about those tracks at 6600 West ... They at one time connected to a line that ran along what's now Forest Preserve Drive and Sunnyside Avenue.

See this map from 1904:
http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/lib/public/full_screen.html?http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps/chi1900/G4104-C6P3-1904-T3-N/

It looks like this line connected what's familiarly known as the Milwaukee District West and Milwaukee District North lines. It also explains why Forest Preserve Drive is so wide (for a street that has little commerce and really doesn't "go" anywhere), and also Sunnyside, which is a side street that's as wide as Montrose in some spots.

AD:

Date: March 09, 2010 11:46PM

Wow good catch Johnny, that's one railroad I never knew existed, it's hard to tell if it connected to the Dunning tracks. If you look where it comes off the C.M. & ST. P. near Milwaukee you can see the "Y". There is no "Y" at the Dunning track. But that may be just how it was drawn on this map, very cool.

I also see the street I grew up on, Richmond St was originally Humboldt St, now that something I definitely did not know! That's what I love about this site, you always learn something new.

AD:

Date: March 10, 2010 03:04AM

Johnny,, awesome 1904 map!! I wish i could go back in time to that period (ONLY for a couple of days) to see what life was like then. Amazing find and thanks.

AD:

Date: March 21, 2010 04:36PM

I never would have noticed that rail line running down the old Indian Boundary Line, now Forest Preserve Drive! Thanks for the info, Johnny. I've now looked at several maps from the early 1900's and that rail line was definitely there. Very, very cool!

AD:

Date: March 21, 2010 11:23PM

I dont know if our latest interest caused this or not but on the 18th of this month of March(last Thursday)there was a construction crew that had patch repaired the Narragansett side of the building. And i do mean PATCH work. Hopefully they plan to do REAL repairs to the brick facade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 11:25PM by Artista.

AD:

Posted by: Vern H (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 05:34AM

Hey Johnny Sauganash,

I LOVER the map from 1904, by chance is there one of the south side too? If so, do you have a link?

Thanks!

AD:

Date: March 23, 2010 11:04AM

Artista Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont know if our latest interest caused this or
> not but on the 18th of this month of March(last
> Thursday)there was a construction crew that had
> patch repaired the Narragansett side of the
> building. And i do mean PATCH work. Hopefully they
> plan to do REAL repairs to the brick facade.

If any one has a chance or time to take some pics and post, please do!

AD:

Posted by: Johnny Sauganash (206.222.43.---)
Date: March 23, 2010 02:24PM

The rest of the map is divided into two additional sections, Southeast and Southwest:

Let's try this again:

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/lib/public/full_screen.html?http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps/chi1900/G4104-C6P3-1904-T3-SE/

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/lib/public/full_screen.html?http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps/chi1900/G4104-C6P3-1904-T3-SW/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2010 05:56PM by Johnny Sauganash.

AD:

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact