Dime stores

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Dime stores
Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 03:25PM

ffd412 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also grew up in Lincoln Square (67-97) I
> remember both Jupitars Dime stores, one in the
> 4700 block of Lincoln & the other at Damen &
> Lawerence down the block from Sears.In reference
> to the McDonalds in the Square, the property was
> first Geekgis(spelling ?) a greek supermaket &
> there was also a greek nightclub just to the south
> on the corner of Lincoln & Gunnison which I
> watched burn down fron the St. Matthias school
> playground during resess around 1974, maybe thats
> why I wanted to be a firefighter when I grew up?
> Also my younger brothers first job was one of hash
> slingers at the Walgreens resturant. Lincoln
> Square was a great place to grow up!! PS. I never
> forgot that fire, thats why I am a
> engineer/paramedic in south suburban Frankfort.

You mean Gikas Bros Supermarket????. On Lawrence nr St.Louis?????. Which existed at that time?????. On the exact topic, There was also a variety store named Harriet's on the next block.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Date: September 29, 2010 05:54PM

From what I heard, There used to be a variety store at 13200-13300 S.Brandon called Reliance, Which supposedly had a fire. I wonder if anybody knows, Was it in the daytime or nighttime?.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-211-195.myvzw.com)
Date: November 20, 2010 04:01PM

Here's an old photo of the Kars sign on Central. The site from which this photo comes is about old trolly lines but has some great photos of bygone Chicago.

[url=http://www.trolleybuses.net/chi/htm/usa_h_chi_ps_9333_rt85centralpensacola_19631111_ss.htm]Kars Dime Store Sign[/url]

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2010 12:43PM

Jules 5&10 on Milwaukee Ave a couple blocks off of Armitage.

AD:

Posted by: StrayKitten (66.28.242.---)
Date: December 03, 2010 05:52PM

shekaago Wrote:
> Here's an old photo of the Kars sign on Central.
> The site from which this photo comes is about old
> trolly lines but has some great photos of bygone
> Chicago.
>
> Kars Dime Store Sign

Great picture of Kars!

AD:

Date: December 15, 2010 06:22PM

StrayKitten Wrote:
> shekaago Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Here's an old photo of the Kars sign on
> Central.
> > The site from which this photo comes is about
> old
> > trolly lines but has some great photos of
> bygone
> > Chicago.
> >
> > Kars Dime Store Sign
>
>
> Great picture of Kars!

The exact front of the store & The interior were classic.

AD:

Posted by: adgorn (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 12:54PM

On a recent episode Homer Simpson said "What's a dime store?"

AD:

Posted by: HOLTANEK (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 05:26PM

The Harlem Irving plaza had 2 "dime stores", W.T.Grant and Woolworths. Both had "restaurant counters" where we'd buy banana splits, hot dogs,etc. Also, we'd buy all the latest 45s,albums, and in 1964, they had an entire aisle of Beatles stuff. I bought my pet turtles,hamsters, and goldfish there as well.

AD:

Posted by: Jazzman (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: June 08, 2011 09:37PM

[b]Grand and Harlem…[/b] Kresge and Woolworth were side by side… I have yet to find another place that served Cherry Ice Cream Sodas as good I ever had there.

---------------

[b]Six Corners neighborhood the Woolworths on Milwaukee Ave[/b]
You could enter from Milwaukee or Cicero. It sat abandoned for many years….
It was demolished to make way for parking facilities for the Klee Building.

------------------------------------
[b]
Woolworths Downtown[/b]…. Always had great HOT DOGS at the snack bar in the front window.. Anyone remember the HOT peanut machines ? Or the guy always chopping vegetables trying to sell the Chopper.

--------------------------------------------------

Someone Mentioned…. [b]Mid-America Beauty School[/b] (Belmont and Linder) -- at one time that was a Jewel Food Store.

-----------------------

The 6 corners store with the parking lot. It was originally…
[b]The 12th Street Store[/b].. re-located from Roosevelt and Halsted. Later I think it was called KEY. The store never had an escalator to the basement – instead they had moving RUBBER walkways to the basement - similar to what is found at airports.

------------------------------------

And we probably ALL know…

WOOLCO was Woolworth. Went out of Business in the US in 1982. Canadian stores became Wal Marts

S S Kresge became [b]K mart[/b] in 1977… and now also owns Sears.

----------------------------

Grants Harlem and Irving -- Great Hot Dogs on Toasted buns...

-----------------------------------

Somebody mentioned… [i]Kar's just south of Montrose on Central[/i].

Anyone remember the Restaurant Next door(north) …
[b]Mandis The Chicken King[/b]….
Specialty was Chicken, but everything steaks and burgers were also great along with the novelty…. [b]they only had WAITERS[/b]! The family was related to Lou Mitchell of Breakfast fame on Jackson. Mandis eventually sold (to family) and it became Montral and it still retained the same great food and service.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2011 10:48PM by Jazzman.

AD:

Posted by: StrayKitten (66.28.242.---)
Date: June 09, 2011 01:22PM

I really miss dime stores! I remember when I was very small (in the 1950's) there was a dime store on the south side at 79th & Bennett called "Horny's Dime Store." I remember my mom leaving me by the coloring books in the back of the store and doing her shopping and coming back for me. And, I remember smelling the oilcloth on big rolls that they sold for tablecloths. I didn't like the smell then, but I wish I could smell it again now.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: June 09, 2011 05:49PM

The oilcloth smell comment brought back a memory, instantly. One that had been dormant for many many years.

Funny how our brains work.

AD:

Posted by: sbaer311 (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2011 03:52PM

Carr's was awesome!!!! There was another variety on Belmont and perhaps Central that was the best place for Barbie clothes!

AD:

Posted by: rgrazian (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 01:08AM

Anyone remember the Woolworth's on Chicago Ave. at Hamlin? Kitty-corner there was a great little wooden newsstand that sold candy, gum and such.

Anyone have any pictures?

Ron Grazian
graz99@prodigy.net

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 (---.86.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2011 12:55AM

The dime stores I remember were the Woolworth and the Kresge on Lincoln Ave at School St. near Lincoln, Belmont, and Ashland. IIRC, Woolworth was on the northwest corner and Kresge was on the southwest, right across the street from Wieboldt's department store. The Woolworth disappeared in the early '60s and the Kresge probably around '65 or so, but the Kresge had a lunch counter where my Mom would buy my sister and me large glasses of Coca Cola after shopping on hot summer afternoons.

I collected stamps back then and would buy bags full of old, cancelled stamps for 99 cents and they also had birds and goldfish, little turtles, and all the other things that could fascinate a little kid.

The dime stores have been gone for many years now, the Belmont theater is now condos as is Wieboldt's, and Goldblatt's is only a memory, too. Quite gentrified now, sad to say.

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2011 03:47PM

How about the woolworth and kresge on north ave, east of larabee?

AD:

Posted by: coops4 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2011 07:24PM

Crowamonghens, the Wooley's you are talking about was on the southside of 55th., between California and Fairfield. I remember in back of the store the owner/manager? would watch your every move from a second floor office window. It is currently a laundromat. There was also a small dime store east of there called Pixie's.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 09, 2011 07:33PM

coops4 Wrote:
> Crowamonghens, the Wooley's you are talking about
> was on the southside of 55th., between California
> and Fairfield. I remember in back of the store the
> owner/manager? would watch your every move from a
> second floor office window. It is currently a
> laundromat. There was also a small dime store
> east of there called Pixie's.

Boy that brought back a memory. I used to go to a dentist in that block and if I did not bite his finger off during the visit my mother would buy me a treat at the dime store. I also seem to remember a candy store of soda fountain either in the dime store or right there some where, which would also sometimes be the location of the treet.

AD:

Posted by: coops4 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2011 08:03PM

My mistake: the Wooley's was between California and Mozart. When I lived in the area, there was a 2nd floor dentist office closer to Fairfield across from Grocerland and next to a Jon's bakery and the meat market. There was also a barber shop around the corner on Fairfield.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 11, 2011 01:39PM

coops4 Wrote:
> My mistake: the Wooley's was between California
> and Mozart. When I lived in the area, there was a
> 2nd floor dentist office closer to Fairfield
> across from Grocerland and next to a Jon's bakery
> and the meat market. There was also a barber
> shop around the corner on Fairfield.

Yes, that would be correct. The dentist's name was Dr. Wagner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2011 07:34PM by jak378.

AD:

Posted by: Kat (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2013 01:33PM

I grew up on Humboldt Bv in the 60's to early 70's...I remember the Woolworths store, Walgreens, Jupiters...I remember going to the dime store for a burger and shake..they had the best shakes...and I remember the boxed halloween costumes too...thats where all my costumes came from lol..Sad to see they tore down the building we lived in and another one about a block and a half down from North Ave on North Humboldt...they now have a U shaped building there that does not fit in with all the old buildings and brownstones. I remember Elsa's store at the corner next to the train overpass that later was sold to Louie. My sister and I went to Richard Yates school and the Junior high or what they call middle school now was called the Upper Grade Center...fond memories

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2013 01:35PM by Kat.

AD:

Posted by: Kat (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2013 08:51PM

I had so many of those little turtles as pets along with the little plastic bowl with a little plastic palm tree in it...One of my turtles climbed out of the bowl and the Avon Lady stepped on it...I was devastated and never liked that lady after that...good thing they were cheap.

AD:

Posted by: slickchick (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: January 24, 2013 04:10PM

Anyone remmember Scott's five & ten on 22nd street and California? We used to walk up and down the aisle and look on the tables. I remember there used to be chickens on ice in the windows.

AD:

Posted by: Jim R. (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2013 12:29PM

There is still a dime store up and running at 6318 S. Pulaski called J & R Variety store. It has the old creaky wooden floors. I stop in a few times a year. Great stuff that brings back memories. The owners are very nice and friendly. If your in the area stop in.
Does anyone remember the dime store around 56th and S. Ashland. I remember going there in the sixties & early seventies. I bought a round nerf ball there in 1970 when they first came out.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2013 03:25PM

Jim R-Ido remember a dime store on Ashland, but wasn't it in the 5600 block
I lived in the 5600 block, above Kloekner's Florist, and, although I do remember a dime store, I don't remember it being in the same block as me. Wasn't it maybe next to the A&P?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2013 02:28PM by jak378.

AD:

Date: January 27, 2013 01:09PM

Jak378..I knew it was either 55 or 56th & Ashland. I don't remember the A&P.I remember the Burger King on 55th just east of Ashland.
What school did you go to and the years? I went to St.Basil until 1973.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2013 07:15PM

Jim R.
I too went to St. Basil, but long before you. I graduated from 8th grade there in 1955.That was before the Burger King and I am sure before Burger King was even in the planning stage. Everything on Ashland Ave. from 54th to 59th at least was of the mom an pop variety. The A & P was a chain and there was an auto parts store in the 5400 block that was part of sevel oened by the same person in Chicago. Walgreens was obviously part of a chain and they were on the northeast corner of 55th and Ashland. Dahill Realty was on the southeast corner, with the Boulevard Show, later Boulevard Ballroon and a candy shop on the northwest corner. KandK drug store was on the southwest corner.

A name just popped into my head. I believe that the dimestore was F & S Variety, which I believe stood for Father and Son. I could be dead wrong about that though.

Where did you live?

AD:

Posted by: Bill_Baar (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: February 04, 2013 07:10PM

My Grandfather's Dime store on West 103rd http://baarswestside.blogspot.com/2005/12/baars-five-and-dime-1260-w-103rd-st.html

He had another at 1544 E. 63rd Street.

AD:

Date: February 06, 2013 07:19PM

F & S is it! I remember it. We lived at 5542 S.Wolcott. It was a brick two flat. I wish we were still there. Moved out in 1973.

AD:

Posted by: olafrance01 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2013 10:44PM

My then GF worked at a dime store at the intersection of York and Butterfield in Elmhurst when I was in HS (60s), Kresge's(?). I used to pick her up after work, take her back to her sister's house and umm...... in the basment room where she lived.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2013 10:55PM by olafrance01.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2013 01:40PM

I remember McClintock's 5 & 10, on 63rd Street, just east of Pulaski....Wooden floors worn out down the middles with about 5 long rows of merchandise.Bags of glass marbles, Glass piggy banks, insense, yarn, westclock pocket watches for $2.99 ea. Gold fish and turtles, funny how You can remember back 55 years like it was yesterday. Mc Clintocks was 2 doors down from Dugdale's Butcher shop anyone remember whole fryers 19 cents lb.and spare ribs @ 29 Cents ?

AD:

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact