Dime stores

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Dime stores
Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 07:28PM

What are your memories of going there.
The lunch counter where you got a root beer float.
the halloween costumes in a box
toys
15 cent nail polish
plastic flowers
evening in paris

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Dime stores
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 12:49AM

On 47th and Ashland we had a woolworth a Kreski and a Niesner all next to each other.(I know my spelling is off). They all had the familiar red background sign abouve with gold letters.

AD:

Posted by: FranCarmen (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 01:47AM

One of the last to go...Jay-Neal's on Armitage just east of Racine. A bit of trivia. Jay and Neal were the names of the owner's sons, and Jay started the Artists Frame Service, now on Clybourn as well as Jayson, a home goods store also on Clybourn.

http://francesarcher.com

AD:

Date: January 24, 2010 03:58AM

We would go to kresge in lincoln square by western ave near the walgreens. when we were in eight grade we would buy the pink and white nail polish they sold for 15 cents.
they sold the halloween costumes in boxes that never fit right.
you could buy records also.

AD:

Posted by: FranCarmen (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 04:02AM

That's my old neighborhood. I started kindergarten at Budlong, and walked to story time at the library which now houses the Old Town School of Folk Music. One of the buildings that was torn down to accommodate the McDonald's on Lincoln had a dance school on the second floor, and I started classes there at age three. We used to eat dinner at the Walgreen's, for a special treat!

AD:

Date: January 24, 2010 05:17AM

My friend went to a dance school on the second floor I don't know if it is the same one it started with the letter h.she had a old teacher who played the piano and was in the play the wizard of oz.
we would go to walgreens when they had the soda fountain and then it had a restaurant.

AD:

Posted by: theseos (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 02:48PM

Growing up in the Six Corners neighborhood in the early to mid 70s the Woolworths on Milwaukee Ave. was the "dime store" my grandma used to take me to as a little boy. I remember it smelled like moth balls inside and had a little dining area where we would get apple pie and vanilla shakes. I recall that it had a pet department and I used to enjoy looking at the birds and fish for sale there, if I recall right, I could've sworn they used to sell monkeys or at least had A monkey in a cage there. I believe the whole building is gone now, it was next to the Klee Building, now there is a condo development on the site.

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: February 11, 2010 05:28PM

i remember my ma taking me to a dimestore calleed "Woolley's" or "Wooley's" on i think 55th. it was on the north side of the street and somewhere east of kedzie? it was a really old, small dimestore, very dark inside with wooden floors and that "old store" smell. i loved it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 09:50PM by crowamonghens.

AD:

Posted by: MIKETOUHY (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 07:47PM

Anyone remember Van's Variety in Edison Park?

Anyone know how many years that was in existance?

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2010 10:54AM

I'm thinking that Van's was on the 6600 -6700 block of Northwest Hwy on the east side of the street. This would go back to the early 70s.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 13, 2010 10:34PM

Do you remember the store on Central and Montrose (I think called Carr's). I'm sure it was privately owned and was one-of-a-kind. They sold a variety of dime store stuff and candy, but specialized in party wares. Tablecloths, tiny plastic baskets and mints and netting to make wedding and shower favors. The store was crammed with counters and wooden drawers which held all the craft supplies for the party favors. I enjoyed browsing through the aisles. I think it closed in the '90s--maybe earlier. It was a classier version of the party stores of today.

AD:

Date: February 14, 2010 01:24AM

Archer Variety in the Ridge shopping center on Archer and Mayfield (nr Austin). I remember as a child, being in there on a sunny morning and looking at all the fake flowers and sewing notions.
There was also a "Ridge Department Store", which was the first floor of a small 20's bungalow. They used to have old-fashioned wooden draweres that they kept ladies' slips and stockings in. VERY vintage, even in the 70s. And a childhood schoolmate lived in the apartment above it.

AD:

Posted by: Artista (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 03:40PM

HI LIz, I'm so glad to have found this site. Our dime store was Woolworth at North ave and Pulaski. To see that store burn down later on in the mid 70s was saddening.I remembered thinking about the animals safety at the pet department in the back of the store. I'm a proud Chicagoan so this site is a goldmine of info!

AD:

Posted by: Tim (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2010 08:15PM

The Woolworths on Bryn Mawr just east of Broadway had a lunch counter along one wall. Other than that, what I rememeber most are tables/counters spread throughout the store. The tops were segmented into smaller bins and were filled with trinkets, sewing items, etc.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.cybermesa.com)
Date: February 19, 2010 01:42AM

RE: Carr's/Karr's (sp?) Yes! I do remember Karr's just south of Montrose on Central. Now there is a Walgreen's on the site. There are no more shops like that anywhere now. I also remember Ben Franklin stores. There was one in my neighborhood on Belmont just west of Oak Park Ave. The penny candy selection was the best!

AD:

Posted by: Artista (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 03:08PM

Hey ,at the Cicero/Irving pk/Milwaukee 6 corners, which store was it that had parking on the roof? I remember which structure it is but forgot what the store was.

AD:

Posted by: StrayKitten (66.28.242.---)
Date: February 19, 2010 05:22PM

Artista Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey ,at the Cicero/Irving pk/Milwaukee 6 corners,
> which store was it that had parking on the roof? I
> remember which structure it is but forgot what the
> store was.

It was Kee's.

AD:

Posted by: ffd412 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 09:33AM

I also grew up in Lincoln Square (67-97) I remember both Jupitars Dime stores, one in the 4700 block of Lincoln & the other at Damen & Lawerence down the block from Sears.In reference to the McDonalds in the Square, the property was first Geekgis(spelling ?) a greek supermaket & there was also a greek nightclub just to the south on the corner of Lincoln & Gunnison which I watched burn down fron the St. Matthias school playground during resess around 1974, maybe thats why I wanted to be a firefighter when I grew up? Also my younger brothers first job was one of hash slingers at the Walgreens resturant. Lincoln Square was a great place to grow up!! PS. I never forgot that fire, thats why I am a engineer/paramedic in south suburban Frankfort.

AD:

Date: February 20, 2010 03:26PM

There was a JupitEr in Green Oaks shopping center at 95th and Cicero, too. after that, they turned it into a Giant Auto parts. i remember they had those shopping carts with the tall poles attached so they couldn't get out the door with them.

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 06:18PM

I remember an independent store known as Charles Variety on Morse Ave about a block west of the L station during the late 50s or early 60s. I think they had occupied the former site of a store front A&P or a National and doubt they had other locations.

AD:

Posted by: scottnchgo27 (---.spiral-helix.com)
Date: May 06, 2010 06:25PM

A neat old store was Blackstone on Belmont near Long Ave. Kind of hobby/craft store, you could buy anything you ever needed there. We would buy our model cars, paint and glue there. Model trains, race cars for the AFX tracks, felt, styrofoam for school projects, rubber balls, baseball cards, candy, enerything a 12 year old could want!! Not to mention the scented markers! Orange was the best.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 09, 2010 12:58AM

[b]Do you remember a small theater on 55th just east of California? What was it's name? Gayity?[/b]

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2010 02:52AM

Oddly enough I just received a box of candy from Gayety's the other day. In the box was a brief description of the business so I checked the website for more info. They are in Lansing,IL now but were started by the Grandfather, a Mr. Papageorge, right next to the Gayety Theater. Apparently Papageorge thought Gayety was a better sounding name for his firm. The only location given for where they started is "South Chicago", too much of a coincidence not to be the same.
BTW, the chocolates were great.

AD:

Posted by: celticjunker1 (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 09, 2010 10:14PM

After a Saturday morning of swimming at the "Pump" on 103rd St, we'd walk east a few blocks to Raike's Dimestore. Like most dimestores they had huge floor to ceiling display windows that overflowed with a colorful plethora of all that they sold within. My personal favorite was "Atom Bomb" perfume. A very tiny bottle resembling an atom bomb with a baby blue cap. It cost 19 cents if memory serves and smelled like every other perfume did back then.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2010 01:33AM

In the 60's my mother would take me to the dime store, a Woolworth on Chicago Ave near Laramie. I would ask "why aren't you calling it Woolworth"?

One of the last Kresge's was at Belmont and Central and I used to get plastic model cars, and other toys. There was a fire in 1976 or so, and I rode my bike fairly close to the back door of store after fireman hosed it down. I saw the toy dept wasn't too badly burned, and wished I could have gotten some of the model kits beforehand, but I'm sure they were trashed.

I am sure nowadays they'd not let anyone that close to look at damage!

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-243-214.myvzw.com)
Date: May 11, 2010 12:35PM

I remember shopping at that Kresge's on Belmont and Central too! The old creaky wooden floors and all the great stuff they had to browse through. My mom and I would board the Belmont "trolly" bus to get there and thought the ride on those old busses was great fun! I also remember the fire and afterwards the Goldblatt's next door smelling like smoke for ages. There's now a nice fruit and veg store called A & G in the former Goldblatt's space. Shopped at the Penney's that used to be across the street too then later worked for them when they moved and opened their store at the Brickyard Mall. My mom used to get her hair done at the Mid-America Beauty School that was just down the street at Belmont and Linder. We'd also shop at Blackstone's at Belmont near Long. So many memories...

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2010 12:40AM

My favorite memory of dime stores was all the toy cars of almost every make and model on the street. Now, kids are into video games of car racing.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 04:10AM

The correct spelled name was Kars, And it WAS a great old-line variety store. It was also kind of like going into an antique store, Sort of say. Like seeing a 1968 Dating Game home board game, Late 1960's Colgate 100 mouthwash, 1940's Tintex Dye & so on. The place unfortunately closed in 1983.

AD:

Date: September 27, 2010 04:42PM

b.a.hoarder Wrote:
> Oddly enough I just received a box of candy from
> Gayety's the other day. In the box was a brief
> description of the business so I checked the
> website for more info. They are in Lansing,IL now
> but were started by the Grandfather, a Mr.
> Papageorge, right next to the Gayety Theater.
> Apparently Papageorge thought Gayety was a better
> sounding name for his firm. The only location
> given for where they started is "South Chicago",
> too much of a coincidence not to be the same.
> BTW, the chocolates were great.

The original Gayety was located on Commercial Avenue (around 88th or 89th Street?)next to a movie theater. They were there for many years. My dad, who was born in 1920, grew up in the area and used to go to Gayety there when he was little.

AD:

Date: September 27, 2010 04:49PM

scottnchgo27 Wrote:
> A neat old store was Blackstone on Belmont near
> Long Ave. Kind of hobby/craft store, you could buy
> anything you ever needed there. We would buy our
> model cars, paint and glue there. Model trains,
> race cars for the AFX tracks, felt, styrofoam for
> school projects, rubber balls, baseball cards,
> candy, enerything a 12 year old could want!! Not
> to mention the scented markers! Orange was the
> best.

Blackstone was a neat old store! The store consisted of a "string" of little stores next to one another. The walls between were not taken out; there was just an opening, a door that you had to go through to get from one "store" to the next. This meant you had to go up and down the aisles the right way, or you'd be on the wrong end of the aisle for the door and have to backtrack. They had a huge wedding specialty department to make shower and wedding place settings and even wedding veils. The ribbon assortment was outstanding. The people who worked there had been there for what seemed like forever. They were plain neighborhood people and certainly knew their store!

AD:

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact