short street Garfield Ridge

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
short street Garfield Ridge
Posted by: paw (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 01:06AM

I would have to guess one of the shortest streets in Chicago ( with houses on it would be 57th place between Major and the alley behind Massasoit 1/4 block like 3 houses on each side.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: short street Garfield Ridge
Posted by: Serhii (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 03:16PM

It is quite small...it would qualify for the tiny streets page if it were named something other than 57th pl. And the fact that Major ave is an alley makes it more odd. Do you know the history of this oddity?

AD:

Posted by: paw (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 08:10PM

I don't, but you are correct Major is an alley that serves only to connect to 57th and it certainly wouldn't seem that the houses would predate the railroad. There is an even odder house in an alley directly north two blocks, but it is literally in an alley and it has an address that is posted on a wooden sign on 56 th street as I wrote about previously. This house seems to be an old farmhouse and makes more sense that it would be built around.

A truly unique short street is Gullikson north from (7100 W. 63rd st.) It is essentially a condo parking lot and the two condos are the only addresses. It is probably too long, in total 3/8ths of a block.My question is where does the street end and the lot begin? It is realtively new, but the street does appear on google maps.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 03:36AM

I'm from NW side and closer to O'Hare are cul-de-sacs and short streets. There is Joyce Ct, off of Melvina near Irving Park, maybe 1/4 block long. And Castle Island av near Lawrance an Cumberland.

But then again, most of the Ohare, Edison and Norwood Park area is a salad bowl of short non-grid streets.

AD:

Posted by: paw (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2008 07:01PM

Gullikson is actually a street that existed back in the 1930's and was cut down to its present size.

AD:

Date: March 10, 2008 01:00AM

This short street is actually in Clearing, but there is an spur of Harlem Ave that is a side street with houses on one side, from 65th street north for a block. The real Harlem curves and heads over the Bedford Pk tracks.

It's the edge of Chicago, staking its claim saying 'this is ours!'

AD:

Date: March 10, 2008 02:19AM

Yes I actually took the old harlem spur the other day and it goes from 64th to 68th unconnected to Harlem now. You can also see the old route of the street where it went through it is a dirt path.

AD:

Date: March 10, 2008 01:11PM

My question is when did the overpass come in? It looked like the old street still went through even after the overpass was built in some old maps.

AD:

Date: March 10, 2008 01:15PM

On a side note, In Ursula Bielski's Chicago Haunts book she states that the the girl she believes to be the inspiration for the Resurrection Mary story was killed in a car accident on Old Harlem and 68th while crossing the railroad tracks.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.careered.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 05:08PM

Supposed to eventaully build an underpass for 63rd st under Harlem and the RR, but who knows when?

SunTimes had a list of RR crossing projects posted a few years ago, and some are done like Grand Ave in Franklin Park, but most not started yet

AD:

Date: March 10, 2008 07:50PM

Would seem to need the central one more since the overpass exists on Harlem.

AD:

Posted by: Jacob (---.arm-bsr1.chi-arm.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 10:49PM

Yeah, but the crossing on 63rd really sucks as well. Wish they'd build another underpass under the Belt RWY as well (the N-S railroad just east of Cicero). There isn't one south of 47th.

--
Jacob Kaplan - Editor
Forgotten Chicago

AD:

Date: March 10, 2008 11:34PM

Agreed, Yeah the trains were so bad on Archer and Cicero the CTA buses would reroute to 47th when I was on them after waiting half an hour.

AD:

Date: March 11, 2008 07:45PM

Anyone cross 65th tracks by Harlem? They are the worst maintained.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.careered.com)
Date: March 12, 2008 03:50PM

Along 65th, on the city side, condos are going up in place of parking lots for the Bedford Park businesse. Seems to be a better use of land.

City messed up years ago in not grabbing all the land that went to Bedford and Burbank, etc.

AD:

Date: March 12, 2008 07:28PM

Yes they are building rather high priced townhouses on Nottingham. Nottingham forest or something. Not a great location, but I guess better than the houses built up to the tracks on 59th.

AD:

Date: March 13, 2008 03:59AM

My guess is demand for new housing for city workers is pushing contruction in the 'suburban' areas of Chicago. Same with far NW side too.

AD:

Date: March 13, 2008 12:41PM

Yeah for sure, but they are in quite weird places. Also, every other house in Garfield Ridge is building up.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact