History of the 606

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
History of the 606
Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2015 05:10PM

History of the 606

http://www.the606.org/about/history/

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: History of the 606
Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: June 09, 2015 06:38PM

It's nice they made this trail, but for me, it kind of goes from nowhere to nowhere else. I used to bike to work (south loop) from the northwest side (Addison and Harlem) and it was really difficult to find a route where you wouldn't get hit by a car. The lack of westbound sidestreets with lights at crossings of north/south streets was always a major problem getting home. If they had extended the 606 west along the Milwaukee road track, even just a narrow paved path on the edge of the right of way, it would have been a great way to make it downtown from my area. Right now, you're pretty much on your own until you hit yuppieland.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2015 07:35PM

I admit it, I've always been a cynic, but..... I do think the 606 is beautiful and will do much to improve quality of life and probably property values in that area too. On the other hand I do question the $95M price tag, seems a bit excessive for a trail that as I understand it is thirty feet wide at most. 2.7 miles X thirty feet = 435,000sq.ft. For $218/sq.ft. think of the high end house I could have built! Again, I think it's great and a plus for the city but somehow the price seems out of line. "The City That Works", but for who?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2015 07:36PM by b.a.hoarder.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: June 10, 2015 12:49PM

I can only say that after living most of my life here I am convinced that the primary reason for improvement projects and city services is to provide kickbacks to the political faithful, and any public benefit associated with these projects and services is merely incidental.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 25, 2015 03:27PM

in the mid-'60s there was a local street gang that called themselves Simon's City and their graffiti was all over the bloomingdale line (606) side embankments. this was before artistic neighborhood murals

AD:

Posted by: daveg (12.31.132.---)
Date: July 08, 2015 02:18PM

Here's a detailed FC written article on the Bloomindale Line. There was a FC walking tour of the Line a while back given by the author. Excellent.

http://forgottenchicago.com/features/the-bloomingdale-line/

My Flickr album of the tour:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/k9jdk/sets/72157635547756005/

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact