Northtown Theatre

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Northtown Theatre
Posted by: joel (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 28, 2008 03:29PM

Great Idea! Something I noticed:when the Northtowm theatre on north Western was demplished, a huge painted ad was revealed on the side of the building immediately to its south. This must go back eighty, ninety...years? Joel

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Northtown Theatre
Posted by: Jacob (---.arm-bsr1.chi-arm.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 06:46PM

Yes, the theater was completed in 1931, while the building the ads are on seems to date from the 1920s, so the ads must be from the late 20s or so.

--
Jacob Kaplan - Editor
Forgotten Chicago

AD:

Re: Nortown Theatre
Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 03:08AM

I saw The Who there in 1979 on closed circuit TV. That concept of concert viewing didnt take off, though. And it is Nortown, not Northtown,

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 12:03AM

There was a huge (but faded) "house sign" for the Nortown on its north wall, that probably dated back to the opening of the theater. There are surviving pictures of the sign in better days, and I remember seeing the faded remnants right up to the demolition.

AD:

Posted by: paw (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 06:59PM

It's amazing there is a map of movie theaters on the Encyclopedia of Chicago that shows the decline of movie theaters in Chicago. There were 100's of theaters in the 1930's and now there are 29. probably a lot of lost treasures.

AD:

Date: March 08, 2008 07:03AM

Well, blame TV, VCR's, DVDs, Plasma/big screen TVs. cable and the net. Kinda hard to save all of them. Sure would be nice if all still in busniess, but they need filled seats.

AD:

Posted by: billdolan (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:44PM

About 10 years ago or so, during a rehab of one of the storefronts in the theater building, an original dry cleaners sign from the 30s was exposed. It was eventually covered up by a sign for the internet cafe that occupied the space until demolition.

http://www.dolanart.com

AD:

Posted by: jessesgirl (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2009 11:55PM

I believe it was called the Nortown. I saw Sonny and Cher there in the late 60's after watching their movie. They were not announced that they would appear. What a wonderful surprise and such a great childhood memory.

AD:

Date: August 13, 2009 11:12PM

I saw The Who there also on CC TV. It was a reaction to the stampede deaths at a "Festival Seating" show in Ohio a few months prior. Was like watching a movie, not same as real thing.

The lot is vacant still where it stood.

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 12:15PM

Jacob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, the theater was completed in 1931, while the
> building the ads are on seems to date from the
> 1920s, so the ads must be from the late 20s or so.

Lill Coal Company was one of the last (if not *the* last) retail coal dealers on the north side, closing abruptly in 1973. It was also the last customer of the CTA's overnight freight service.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2012 09:25PM

Wasn't Lill Coal Company on Berwyn Avenue right next to the CTA Redline tracks?

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 01:01PM

Well, You could also blame the slipshod, thoughtless development of the area, Like many other once thriving areas. Which had some decent shops, places to eat, shows, etc. Which unfortunately many have seemingly vanished & turned into homoginized, bland, dull districts.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact