Harriet Reese House / Prairie Avenue.

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Harriet Reese House / Prairie Avenue.
Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2015 11:39PM

Anyone familiar with Prairie avenue will probably know the Harriet Rees house at 2110 Prairie. For many years it sat alone , one of the few originals left in the area. In recent years the area has been built up ,with new townhouses replicating the past.

Of course with all the rebuilding here and McCormack Place the developers came sniffing around ,putting the house in jeopardy of being torn down for a new hotel . Luckily someone reached a compromise and they have moved the building one block north. The following web site details the move.

http://chicago.curbed.com/tags/harriet-f-rees-house.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Harriet Reese House / Prairie Avenue.
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 10:26AM

[b]Very interesting. What was it's addrress on Prairie? I have always been interested about prairie avenue.[/b]

AD:

Date: April 30, 2015 04:40PM

It was at 2110 Prairie, I don't know the new address. I was there last October showing an out of town guest the sites. This old house was still at it's original location, surrounded by empty lots. People took a chance ,saved and restored the area. Even the old Marshall Field jr. mansion, that sat boarded up for years, has been spiffed up and sold as condos.

I'm not against commercial development but I hate when they zero in on an residential area like this when there is so much nearby that needs work. If they want an entertainment district they should build up the old levee area on Wabash.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 11:03PM

[b]Thanks I will look it up on street view.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: May 06, 2015 07:31PM

A lot of the development there is actually server farms (the old Lakeside Press Building for instance).

AD:

Re: Harriet Rees House / Prairie Avenue.
Date: May 07, 2015 03:49AM

I thought the Lakeside Press building was converted to housing. Is it mixed use?

AD:

Re: Harriet Rees House / Prairie Avenue.
Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: May 07, 2015 12:25PM

Nope, as far as I know all data center/server farm. It would have pretty shitty views looking out on the back of McPlace and the CN tracks. I mean, of course, the RR Donnelly (sp) building at Cermak. I think a big reason for it was the floor structure was built for presses which are very heavy and it has a huge floor plate which would make residential conversion difficult without cutting in a light well.

Jayg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought the Lakeside Press building was
> converted to housing. Is it mixed use?

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact