trolley turnarounds

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
trolley turnarounds
Posted by: marge (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 02:14PM

Hi, just wondering if you are aware of the turnaround at 7300 West Belmont Avenue (on the south-east corner). This is great website and thanks for putting it up. Marge

p.s. I'm 67 years old and this is the first time I've responded to a web page (I'm not sure that I use all the correct terminology, but I'm learning.)

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: trolley turnarounds
Posted by: appleuzer (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 03:07PM

Marge,

Thats incredible!
Thank you so much for your support! Im really happy to hear that the Tribune article has introduced this site to you and many more people who would've otherwise never discovered forgottenchicago.com.

Its never to late to become internet savvy, BTW.

Thanks again.
-Mike Damian
ForgottenChicago.com

AD:

Posted by: Vern H (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: April 25, 2008 02:33AM

There was another one on Belmont just east of Central. Last time I went by there it was two parking lots but I believe this is the location. I just looked at Google Earth and it was at Belmont and Lotus.

Does anyone remember a "Y" turnaround at Central and Hutchinson north of Irving Pk rd? If memory serves, the trolley bus had to back in to turn around! There were more of these but it's been many years and I don't remember where they were.

AD:

Posted by: jjcairo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 19, 2008 11:35PM

i beleive there was one on grand and monclair near the picture show? after that you walked a couple of blocks and caught the diesel bus to go west into elmwood park. there was one that ran on chicago ave that ended and turned around at austin preveous to that the green hornet street car used to have a turn table on chicago and california. the north ave bus turned around at narragansett that's still there.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2008 01:10PM

The Grand bus turn around is still there. Also there is a vintoage neon sign nest to it for the 'Terminal Coffee Shop'.

AD:

Posted by: celticjunker1 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 16, 2012 11:00PM

There was a gigantic bus barn on 103rd St. just east of Beverly/Vincennes. My dad told me that previously it was a trolley turnaround. I remember seeing a trolley on south Vincennes as a child.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 04:13PM

Drove by Grand and Mont Clare stop recently, and the old neon "Coffee Shop" sign is gone. :(

AD:

Posted by: Business7007 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2013 08:50PM

The trolleybus wires that extended off of main streets for a short distance down often side streets were for what they call "short-turning" the trolleybus before it actually reached the end of its line. The trolleybus had to back in just past the wire switch on the mainline and down the short length of wire over the side street and then pull out on to the main street again going in the opposite direction. This might be done of there were too many buses going one way and not enough going the other way. This was a dispatcher call but you can be sure that the people on the short-turned trolleybus were not happy when they had to exit and wait for the next bus to continue their trip. Short-turning was always done with a street supervisor who ordered the driver to do it and took the heat from the folks whose trip was disrupted.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact