Kars dimestore

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Kars dimestore
Posted by: cathyg (---.enh.org)
Date: March 18, 2014 08:21AM

Thank you for the posted information on this glorious Chicago store!!! I would go there with my mom when I was young, growing up in the 70's. Still remember the creeky floors & many drawers of stuff! the hanging costumes kind of scared me as did the crowded nature of the packed store, in general. Would give ANYTHING to see some photos. Please post or advise if anyone has seen an images. Magical place, indeed :)

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Kars dimestore
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2014 11:37PM

[b]Where was it?[/b]

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (70.58.230.---)
Date: March 19, 2014 09:18PM

Cathyg: Here is a link to a photo of the old Kars sign from a post on dime stores from a while back in the Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forum. Kars was located on the east side of Central, just south of Montrose.

[url=http://www.trolleybuses.net/chi/htm/usa_h_chi_ps_9333_rt85centralpensacola_19631111_ss.htm]Kars Dimestore - Central South of Montrose[/url]

AD:

Posted by: cathyg (---.enh.org)
Date: March 25, 2014 01:43AM

Thanks very much for the photo link...shekaago! I have seen this but fun to see again. If you come across any interior photos, please let me know. Take care :)

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2014 02:25AM

That place was a treasure & classically bewildering. Wasn't as open space-indoors. It was let's say cluttered aisle to aisle. Unlike most stores had a more open space ceiling atmosphere. This place was different from most other stores.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2014 05:41PM

I think there was a Kars on Devon just west of Western Ave. in the 1970's. The Kars on Central is long gone. Now a Walgreens, what else is new.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact