Terra Cotta Horsehead

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Terra Cotta Horsehead
Posted by: Lex (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 12:07PM

Anyone know anything about the almost lifesize terra cotta horse head mounted on the Clybourn street side of the Midtown Tennis club (on the corner of Damen/Fullerton/Clybourn)? As I've driven by on my way to elsewhere I've managed to catch something written about a "dairy" but I'm not sure that's correct. Why would you have a horse head, rather than a cow's head mounted on a dairy? Any ideas or info anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Terra Cotta Horsehead
Posted by: Serhii (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 01:02PM

Horse heads on buildings usually mean you are looking at a former stable. Could have been a dairy stable? There is a plaque by that one, I seem to remember something about the great fire, then again, maybe not...

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 12:05AM

Along the west side of the IC Electric (aka Metra Electric) tracks, down by Kensington Junction (about 115th St), there is a terra cotta horse head on the facade of a building facing the tracks.

AD:

Posted by: JonnyOYeah (---.stc-1.depaul.edu)
Date: March 13, 2008 12:15PM

Not a horse head, but 47th street West of Kedzie and before Archer used to have a nice stone cow's head for a dairy distributor. Building is now a mechanic's shop.

Horse heads are still barely present at the former Pullman Stables on Cottage Grove and 111th Place "bowing down to face [Pullman's daughter] Florence." Site is also a mechanic's shop now. Go figure.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-102.myvzw.com)
Date: December 23, 2015 04:51AM

Supposedly, there has always been a building with that horse's head on it, since the first building went up. We'll see how long it survives after the City puts in their goofy run-around to kill Elston traffic.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.uchicago.edu)
Date: December 28, 2015 01:34PM

Before Midtown Tennis was built, that site was once the Columbia Hardwood Lumber Company. No idea why the horse's head terra cotta, unless it came from the building where they kept their wagons and teams.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2015 04:33PM

[b]21st @ Paulina another horse head.[/b]

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact