SOKOL TOWN OF LAKE

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
SOKOL TOWN OF LAKE
Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.sub-75-203-106.myvzw.com)
Date: June 15, 2013 04:30PM

Anyone out there remember a gymnasium on 48th and Honore (School Hall)
which was the home of Sokol Town of Lake? Old pictures would be great.

That Sokol also had a children's camp @ 103rd. and Willow Springs Road on Tuma Lake.I spent a few summers there.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: SOKOL TOWN OF LAKE
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2013 11:29PM

[b]On the north side of that lake was boy scout camp kiwanis. On the northeast corner of 48th & honore was koshuko hall a polish place. I know my spelling is off but I was raised in that areaof the back of the yards. As scoutwe swam on that lake and sometimes saw the girls on the other side. That was in the late 40' and early 50's.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 17, 2013 07:11PM

Richard,
you are correct about Camp Kiwanis. Every Wednesday we had Campfire night and 7 Cheers to the Boy Scouts and they would answer back with 7 RAH RAH'S Back to us.

Old School Hall was torn down in the late 60s or so but was on the NORTH WEST corner of 48 Th and its front door was on Honore.

AD:

Posted by: Bill_Baar (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: June 17, 2013 07:15PM

Here's a link to the book on their 75th Anniversary in 1963. http://www.worldcat.org/title/sokol-town-of-lake-seventy-fifth-anniversary-1888-1963/oclc/173277176 You'll have to Cedar Rapids Ia and the National Czech and Slovak museum to find a copy. I google mapped 4800 S Honore and there are two buidlings that are candidates. The big one looks too Industrial though and I'm not sure what to make of the other. It has a curious window. Look closely and you'll seen bowling pin designs in the window. It's an old bowling ally I guess. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=4801+S+Honore+Chicago&hl=en&ll=41.806717,-87.670856&spn=0.01246,0.027874&sll=41.806639,-87.670991&sspn=0.000553,0.000871&t=h&gl=us&hnear=4801+S+Honore+St,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60609&z=16&layer=c&cbll=41.806639,-87.670991&panoid=6t1mcPTkQ7G9LAtP1W_dbg&cbp=12,88.32,,1,6.57

AD:

Date: June 18, 2013 12:53AM

4801 the south east corner was a tavern and a small bouling alley upstairs. The north east corner was a polish hall Kushusko hall if I spelled it right.

AD:

Date: June 18, 2013 11:19AM

[b]Mistake: The hall was on the NE corner of 48th & Wood Street not Honore and is now an empty lot.[/b]

AD:

Date: June 18, 2013 12:14PM

Richard, what's that massive building on the NW corner of 48th and HONORE? It's pretty big for a residential neigborhood!

AD:

Date: June 18, 2013 04:43PM

[b]That was a an apartement building before the houses were there.[/b]

AD:

Date: June 18, 2013 04:45PM

[b]On the southwest corner waws a power station for the area. What is it now?[/b]

AD:

Date: June 18, 2013 06:59PM

It's still there... one big empty building I guess https://maps.google.com/maps?q=4800+S+Honore+Chicago&ll=41.806712,-87.670852&spn=0.000553,0.000871&oe=UTF-8&hnear=4800+S+Honore+St,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60609&gl=us&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=41.806712,-87.670852&panoid=c_5rFvl-c0bzMCMQc1YFdQ&cbp=12,247.42,,0,-1.25

AD:

Date: June 18, 2013 07:34PM

It's still there and for sale. http://www.loopnet.com/Property-Record/4800-S-Honore-Street-Chicago-IL-60609/DEF6LgA4w/

AD:

Date: June 18, 2013 07:44PM

Check the interior of the bowling alley accross the street. http://ilforeclosurehomes.com/PropertyDetails?pid=08211272&ls=MLSNI&presented_by=yes&use_close=true&show_address=yes&show_description=yes&show_virtual_tour=yes

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2013 09:55PM

Wow, what a time capsule!

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: June 19, 2013 09:43AM

Very cool, would be awesome to snoop around in person.

AD:

Posted by: Mary Lou Bruhnke Kozub (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2013 03:41AM

Oh my goodness, just joined this forum and see so much that I remember. I was born and raised at 4804 S. Wood St. I was born in 1938! I was also a member of Sokol Town of Lake. Went to camp for 10 plus yrs. We have an annual picnic still at the campsite with a commemorative sign for the camp. You may be able to see some recent pictures at Sokol Tabor, still a very active group.
As for the tavern on the NE corner of 48th and Honore, it was Svedlinka's and the owner was called Swede possibly for Sved but pronounced Swede. I have pictures of my father, Swede, Joe Vonash (spelling ?) the manager of School Hall, and my uncle. They went fishing together every year!
The tavern with the bowling alley on the SE corner was Marchiniak's. My brother, age 87, was a pinsetter and bowler there.
The tavern on the SW corner of 48th & Wood St.was Dziopa's, pronounced Juppa. The hall on the NE corner of 48th & Wood was Kociushko's. Boy the weddings that were held at School Hall, Dziopa's and Kociushko Halls! And the food........
Anyway, just wanted to share my memories. Na Zdrowie new friends

AD:

Date: August 27, 2013 11:49AM

Mary lou: Great to meet somone from that area. I am familiar with all the things you mentioned. I am 77 years old and raised in the Back of the Yards also. I hung out at 48th & Hermitage in the lower 50's. Also I have one question. Would you know of a Frank Stachowski that lived at 4806 s Wood. I am also a Stachowski but not sure of the connection. I also went camping at camp kiwanis acroo tuma lake where you all camped. Benn to wedings at that hall also. Lived at 50th & wolcott all of the 50's. [/b]

AD:

Date: August 27, 2013 05:52PM

[b]If I remeber right there was a Marchiniak'staver and licuare stoe on the north east corner of 48th & Paulina The bpwling ally had a spiral staircase going up from the tavern. Last I was in there was in the early 70's and remember the lady behind the bar that my friend stanley had his eye on. I also hung around at a hotdog resturant at the north east corner of Marshfield and 48th st. across from A&P.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 08:01PM

Been a long time since I checked in but the massive building on the north west
corner of 48th and Honore Was Not an apartment building. It was SCHOOL HALL and was owned by Sokol Town of Lake. After it was torn down about 1968 or so, four homes were built .Does anyone have pics ?

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2015 12:12AM

Talking about all the old halls, taverns and funeral homes bring back many good and sad memories. I went to St Michaels on 48th and Damen, however, we went to alot of polish weddings and funerals at these various places back in the 50's 60's.

AD:

Date: April 27, 2015 01:23AM

[b]I lived at 50th & Wolcott in the 50's across from Cornell park and hung around 48th & Hermitage and the park with the rebels at times, That was a different world then.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2015 11:46AM

Hi Rich, Hope all is well. It sure was different then. Sometimes I miss the good old days. You wonder who is still around.

AD:

Date: April 29, 2015 09:45AM

[b]That building housed a lot of single older men as I can remember.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: April 30, 2015 12:17PM

There is an exhaustive history of these sokols available in a book that Berwyn Frank turned me onto. A History of Czechs in Chicago, by Rudolph Bubenicek, details a lot of the development of these groups. The book was written in 1939, in Czech, and recently translated into English and published by a genealogical association. I am about half way through it, and it is really quite extensive. Here is a link to order it:

http://www.csagsi.org/shop-our-store/history-czechs-chicago-bubenicek

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact