odd house at 2001 n Nordica

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
odd house at 2001 n Nordica
Posted by: Vern H (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2013 12:29AM

There's an oddly shaped house at the above address, it's been there since the 60's. I've heard several different stories about it, one was it was a contest prize. Does anyone know the real story about this house?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: odd house at 2001 n Nordica
Posted by: Vern H (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2013 12:49AM

I found this. [url=http://dimbeautyofchicago.blogspot.com/2009/09/love-of-my-life.html]link[/url]

AD:

Posted by: Deejo (108.246.120.---)
Date: June 05, 2013 04:19AM

Here's another link:

http://yochicago.com/the-miracle-house-in-galewood/26273/

My mother grew up down the block, and she always said it was a prize in a contest, but that the family who won didn't want the house, so they sold it. She said it was called, "Miracle House."

Also, this thread:

http://forgottenchicago.com/forum/1/3898/3994/re__the_small_shop_at_6930_w_armitage#msg-3994

discusses a shop about a half-block east on Armitage from Miracle House.

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown (---.c3-0.drb-ubr1.chi-drb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: June 06, 2013 12:59AM

A drawing was displayed in a big Art Institute exhibit in the 1990s, so the catalogue [i]Chicago Architecture and Design, 1923-1993: Reconfiguration of an American Metropolis[/i] contains this record:

[code]
Belli and Belli. Plot plan and elevation of a house for St. Williams Parish, "The Miracle House,"
Armitage and Nordica streets, October 13, 1953.
[/code]

St. Williams, at Sayre and Wrightwood, is itself quite the Belli and Belli mid-century extravaganza, with a compound (church-school-convent-rectory) occupying all four corners of the intersection.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2013 03:06AM

I am glad it didn't get torn down! I used to drive by it a lot in the80's, when it was a bit worn out. Worried it was going to get leveled.

AD:

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2013 05:41PM

I worked in that area for 4 years and used to walk past it on my lunch break. I was told (I never verified this) that the home was 100% electric, and that it was built as a "home of the future" that, from the description I was given, sounded like The Jetsons' house, where appliances were "hidden" to keep them out of the way, and at the touch of a button they'd "pop out" for easy use. I had forgotten about that place until I read the preceding posts. It definitely warrants some investigation.

Another really odd house in the area is on the Oak Park side of North avenue, at the corner of Greenfield (1400 north in Chicago numbers) and Fair Oaks (about 6520 west). Apparently, the owner is an architect, possibly the one who designed the place. Used to walk past that one, too, and have taken a lot of photos of it.

Mikey

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact