Edgewater Beach Hotel

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Edgewater Beach Hotel
Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 02:37AM

A few cool pics I bumped into in today's online Trib:

http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune.com/chi-130404-edgewater-beach-hotel-pictures/

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Edgewater Beach Hotel
Posted by: QlassiQue (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 11:44AM

Thanks for posting this link to these great photos! Join Forgotten Chicago today, Saturday, April 6th at Noon for an entertaining presentation on Chicago’s Shoreline Motels in general, and in the Edgewater community in particular. We’ll be sharing rarely seen images of these motels, as well as giving a sneak peak at the fourth and final installment in this series.

No RSVP necessary; we hope to see you there! More information is at [forgottenchicago.com] and here: [www.edgewaterhistory.org]

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 09:24AM

Just a note,

The women Ruth Ann Steinhagen who shot and nearly killed Eddie Waitkus, star first baseman of the Philadelphia Phillies, on June 14, 1949 at the Edgewater just past away this last December 29,2012. The incident is one of the inspirations for the 1952 baseball book The Natural, made into a film in 1984.

AD:

Posted by: jd (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 06:11PM

I heard this story years ago. An advertising writer lived at the Edgewater Beach Apartments. One day after a grueling day trying to come up with a new slogan for his client at the office he decided to stop in at the bar of the hotel before going home. While he was sucking down his scotch on the rocks a guest of the hotel walked in and ordered a Budweiser. The bartender told him "Sorry, the truck's late. We're out of Bud right now". The guest replied "Well, if you're out of Bud, you're out of beer", and ordered a mixed drink instead.

The ad copywriter went to work the next day and presented the client with their new tag line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgrUCprTuUs

And who says that no good comes from sitting in bars?

AD:

Posted by: sarabaloch (39.48.138.---)
Date: May 03, 2013 04:38AM

Appreciate it regarding placing that connect to most of these wonderful images! Join Forgotten Chicago these days, Saturday, April 6th on Noon to have an enjoyable display on Chicago’s Coast Motels on the whole, as well as inside Edgewater neighborhood specifically. We’ll end up being discussing almost never observed photographs of such motels, together with offering some sort of sneak top with the fourth as well as final installment in this particular sequence.

[URL=http://www.chicagoairportlimos.us/]Cheap Limo Service in Chicago[/URL]

AD:

Posted by: QlassiQue (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 16, 2013 05:58PM

FYI, since our April Shoreline Motels presentation was full at the Edgewater Historical Society (standing room only and about 25 people turned away), we are offering an encore of this presentation this Saturday, July 20 at 1:00 PM at the new Edgewater Public Library. We hope to see lots of FC fans there - get there early!

AD:

Posted by: ChicagoSam (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: July 17, 2013 11:07AM

Here is a great post about the Edgewater Hotel and Apartments I found via Google. There are over 20 photos.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LivingHistoryOfIllinoisAndChicago/permalink/548515861875860/

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 09, 2013 01:59AM

When the lake is quiet you can look down and see the big pink blocks of (stone? marble? I don't know) that once made up the hotel's beach walk. I guess they were dumped there to bolster the shoreline when the hotel was razed.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 12, 2013 04:20PM

Where are the stones in the lake?

AD:

Date: November 14, 2013 03:18PM

I know that none of the building debris ever got dumped into the lake. As for the hotel's beach walk, that was always a concrete sidewalk. I lived just west of there in the mid 1960's and went by the hotel all the time going to the beach. Those blocks of stone you see in the lake just east of there have been there since the mid 1960's that I know of.

AD:

Date: November 14, 2013 05:04PM

Wasn't Lake Shore Drive built on fill east of the existing beach walk, now that I think about it?

AD:

Date: November 14, 2013 05:38PM

I believe it was Davey7. I think what querencia was saying is that they dumped building stones along the lake when tearing down the old Edgewater Hotel. I pretty sure that they didn't do that. There have blocks of stone in the lake along the retaining wall just east of the hotel site as far back as I can remember from the mid 1960's. I use to hang out at the beach then and there was always signs posted about swimming off the walk there because of submerged stones in the lake. I always thought that they were left over from the installation of the retaining wall than ran along the lake from Foster Beach north to what is now Lane Beach Park.

AD:

Date: November 15, 2013 02:02PM

yeah, there are tons of big rip rap and stones in the lake there. I think some have been painted pink between Hollywood and Foster beaches.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact