Re: Snappy Service System
Date: March 21, 2013 06:08PM
The mystery of this long forgotten restaurant chain deepens. On March 20, the Forgotten Chicago research department went to the Newberry Library to go through Chicago white and yellow pages from 1925 to 1959, looking for “Snappy Service System” restaurant locations. The Snappy Service System restaurant recently revealed at 1141 North Ashland was curiously not listed in any of the phone books examined.
Following are the Snappy Service Systems restaurants listed from 1934 (the first time these restaurants are listed) until 1959 (the last phone books examined):
• 6340 North Ashland, 1934 through 1939; restaurant and general office
• 3229 North Ashland, 1935 only
• 3757 North Broadway, 1935 and 1936
• 57 West Chicago, 1935 and 1936
• 3309 North Ashland, 1936 only
• 21 South Ashland, 1936 and 1944 to 1946
• 1156 North Western, 1945 to 1959
• 1603 West Madison, 1947 to 1949
• 5605 West Chicago, 1948 to 1955
• 6351 North Western, 1948 only
If an individual restaurant did not have a phone, they would not be listed in an Illinois Bell phone directories. Also, there could be a chance that a franchise location may not be listed, or be in a different directory (the Newberry has a combination of white and yellow pages). The location at 21 South Ashland was curiously not listed from 1937 to 1943, although it may have closed and reopened.
Worth noting is the large number of businesses selling food that used “snappy” in the title. These include Snappy-Snack Hamburger Shop, Snappy Meat Service, Snappy Grill, Snappy Sandwich Shop, Snappy Snack Tap, Snapp’s Food Mart and Snap Snap Snack Shop. These locations are not listed above.
If anyone has more information on the history of this chain, please let us know