Olson Park and Waterfall

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Olson Park and Waterfall
Posted by: robcat26 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2012 06:06PM

Does anyone have any photos of Olson Park? This was a park developed at Diversey and Pulaski in 1935 by the Olson Rug Company, and featured a rock garden, duck pond, bird sanctuary, and a 35-foot waterfall. It closed in the late 1970s to make way for a parking lot.

I'm currently co-authoring a book on Avondale and Chicago's Polish village, and we're planning to devote an entire chapter to this park. We have several photos already, but we know there must be more/better photos out there. Any photos and/or leads would be greatly appreciated!

Rob

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Olson Park and Waterfall
Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2012 08:23PM

Rob, I believe if you do a search on this forum you will find some photos. Additionally, go to the Forgotten Chicago facebook group archives, several photos there. And of course, should be lots out there on the internet.

AD:

Posted by: PHILC (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2012 05:49PM

I used to live at Diversey and Neva and it seemed there was always a billboard at Diversey and Harlem with a picture of the park on it advertisiing Olson Rug. This was in the early 1950s.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2012 06:36PM

Some photos and a great article right here (on this site):

http://forgottenchicago.com/columns/northwest/olson-waterfall/

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-73.myvzw.com)
Date: January 18, 2016 02:39AM

BTT.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 19, 2016 02:35PM

Going down to the waterfall was a big deal when we were kids. My older cousin found out that you could walk behind the waterfall and he found a valve where you could shut off the water. He got banned from the place after that.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-98.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2016 03:27AM

I wonder if the waterfall could be restored, if the building was converted to condos?

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact