best chicago southsde pizza

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
best chicago southsde pizza
Posted by: tommy wilson (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 11:28AM

WELL LETS HEAR WHAT YOU GOT

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: best chicago southsde pizza
Posted by: tomc (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 12:09PM

Nobody can beat Sanfratello'slocated in Glenwood. Get there early because there is always a crush at the door. I like the thin crust best.TomC

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 12:31PM

The absolute best, not just in Chicago, but in the whole USA is Nick and Vito's at 85th and Pulaski. I have had pizza all over Chicago and in most parts of the US, and nothing compares. I can't wait to get up there again.

AD:

Date: December 22, 2012 12:32PM

CHICAGO PIZZA ONLY DONT CROSS THE BORDER FOLKS

AD:

Date: December 22, 2012 12:34PM

jac378 seems to be pizza smart

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 12:48PM

My comments from an earlier topic on pizza..... On the southwest side there was Buddy's at 79th and Hermitage and Onesti's on 71st just east of California (still there, but undoubtedly under different ownership). Back in the day, virtually all neigherhood pizza on the southside was thin crust. I don't recall ever having deep dish until I got old enough to drive and would take a date to Gino East,Uno's or Due's. In fact, to this day thin crust remains far more common and popular out south. Fox's on Western, Rosangelos at 95th and California and Vito & Nick's (very thin) and several others still make great thin crust pizza. I've got nothing against deep dish, but it kills me when the media always refers to deep dish when talking about Chicago style pizza.

AD:

Date: December 22, 2012 01:51PM

THIS PLACE IS LONG GONE BUT THEY HAD A GREAT PIZZA 50s 60s
BERNIE AND BETTY'S LOCATED AT 76TH SO. HALSTED.
ONESTI ON 71ST AND CALIFORNIA HAD SOMEONE FROM BERNIE'S IN THEIR OPERATION IF MY MEMORY IS CORRECT' MAYBE THEY WERE RELATED.HELP ME ON THIS ONE

AD:

Date: December 22, 2012 02:44PM

I actually worked at Onesti's in the early 70's but cannot recall the name of the owner. It was Italian, but not Onesti. He lived just east of 71st and Western and was into stock car racing.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 04:10PM

Vito and Nick's, later just Vito's, at 5640 S. Ashland, not the same people as 85th and Pulaski also had great pizza. It was where I learned to like it. I always kind of turned my nose up at it, until 1 halowee when we went in there and they gave us slices of cheese pizza. I was converted.

One of the owner's was always in the front window making the pies. They used sliced Mozzerella, not the crumbled stuff in use today, homemade bulk sausage, their own sauce and other freshe stuff. When done, they would remove it from the oven to the work table and cut it with a large shears. No pizza cutter.

I think they only served pizza, mostaciolli and spaghetti, and sandwihces like beef and sausage. No alcohol. They did not deliver, but we only lived 2 doors down from them

AD:

Posted by: locoengineer (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 11:58PM

The best? Palermo's on 63rd & Hamlin! Unfortunately due to relocating to the suburbs I haven't had theirs in 13 years! They've had some of their relatives open locations in the various SW suburbs but by far the original owners of 63rd made the best!!!

AD:

Date: December 23, 2012 12:36AM

I drove by the 63rd st. Palermo's just the other day. It's still there and looked to be open.

AD:

Date: December 23, 2012 01:50AM

Palermo's another great pizza choice

AD:

Date: December 23, 2012 01:56AM

Is Little Joe's pizza on 63rd Street still in operation?
It was a favorite of mine way back when.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2012 03:11AM

Time for a road trip Tommy, Little Joe's is in Tinley Park and New Lenox now. Same family as far as I know.

AD:

Posted by: continentalbill3@yahoo.com (166.181.3.---)
Date: December 25, 2012 03:11AM

[b][color=#FF0066]THERE WERE & STILL ARE SO MANY GREAT PIZZA JOINTS IN CHICAGO AND THEY ARE MOSTLY ALL GOOD. PIZZA IS A VERY INDIVIDUAL TASTING FOOD & WHAT ONE SAYS IS THE BEST ANOTHER ONE WILL NOT. HOWEVER THIS IS DIRECTED TO TOMMY YOU MUST HAVE GROWN UP IN THE SAME NEIGHBORHOOD I DID IF YOU REMEMBER THE BUSY BEE UNDER THE L TRACKS WHERE ALL THE COPS USED TO EAT, AND DR. LUCIAN WITKOWSKI WAS THE DOCTOR AND WANDA WAS HIS NURSE AT THE CLINIC JUS SOUTH ON DAME , THEY WERE PERSONAL FRIENDS OF MY MOM. HER NAME WAS NINA CZUWAROWA AND SHE WORKED FOR EMIL DENEMARK CADILLAC ON 3860 W. OGDEN AVE. DENEMARK SQUARE CHICAGO. BACK TO THE DIVISION STREET STUFF WE HAD THE D&D RESTAURANT AND TO DIE FOR CORNED BEEF I CANT REMEMBER THE NAME OF BUT THEY HAD ALL MALE WAITERS. GOING WEST ON DIVISION ST. YOU ARE SO RIGHT ABOUT NATES BARBER SHOP AND WEBERS POOL HALL ACROSS THE STREET AND RICKIES RESTAURANT WHERE ALL THE POLITICAL DEALS WERE DONE BEFORE THEY WENT TO COURT. LOL THEN AT DIVISION & WASHTENAW WAS JOE PIERCES WHO ALSO HAD GREAT CORNED BEEF AND JOES HARDWARE STORE WAS ACROSS FROM MY HANGOUT THE VISION SHOW NEXT TO HARRYS ICE CREAM PARLOR. THEN THE DIME STORE I THINK WAS ACROSS THE STREET FROM THAT AND IM GETTING TOO LONG WINDED FOR THE AVERAGE READER BUT THEM WERE THE DAYS...I WILL POST TO YOU AGAIN TOMMY :)-D[/color][/b]

AD:

Date: December 25, 2012 04:17PM

I GREW UP ON THE SOUTHSIDE 69TH PAULINA AREA
I DEL. MILK ALL OVER THE CITY AND BECAME SOME WHAT OF A FOOD JUNKY
SO I KNEW ALOT OF THE GOOD JOINTS RECENTLY HAVING A COVERSATION ABOUT
ROCKY'S SHRIMP SHACK JUST SOUTH OF NAVY PIER 142 STRETTEVILE ON THE LAKE FRONT
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN .GREAT SHRIMP.
SO MANY PLACES GONE FOREVER'AT LEAST WE WERE THERE.

AD:

Posted by: continentalbill3@yahoo.com (166.181.3.---)
Date: December 27, 2012 06:10PM

[b][i][color=#FF3333] BINGO.....DAMEN & DIVISION BROWN & KOPPELS CORNED BEEF. REGAL AUTO SHOP NEXT TO IT AT THE ALLEY. (:P)[/color][/i][/b]

AD:

Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: December 27, 2012 07:46PM

My favorite used to be Santucci's which used to be located at about 60th and Cicero, then next was Chesdan's in Brighton Park also gone now (relocated to suburb's). I guess now it would be Danny's Pizza on Archer and Menard or Obbie's also on Archer a little further west.

AD:

Posted by: stevieg314 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2012 04:08PM

[b]I grew up in Burbank IL, and my all-time favorite pizza is still and always will be Phil's Pizza on 89th & Ridgeland in Oak Lawn. Superb toppings, perfect sauce, and lots of cheeese makes this pizza a true Chicago area classic. Try it one time and see what i mean! (The sign says "Since 1970" , but i thought it opened a littler later than that) Enjoy![/b]

AD:

Date: January 08, 2013 08:35PM

archer and cicero la bella's pizza
all the pasta you can it for one dollar
year 1960 .
located on archer north side of street just east of cicero
do you remember?

AD:

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact