History of Hyde Park,Illinois

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
History of Hyde Park,Illinois
Posted by: tomc (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2012 02:04PM

Read a history of Hyde Park. Juat type A History of Hyde Park,cook,Illinois by Thomas Crane into your browser. Tom C

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: History of Hyde Park,Illinois
Posted by: tommy wilson (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: December 18, 2012 07:25PM

I remember the ymca and a place I
think they called the hobby house restaurant then another called enrico;s italian.
and for sure the cornell lounge all about 1965.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2012 09:51PM

[b]Many famouse people came out of Hyde Park. Steve Allen, Mel Torme and Amielia Arehart the woman pilot to name a few. Excuse my spelling please.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: tommy wilson (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: December 18, 2012 10:56PM

ON THE SUBJECT OF HYDE PARK AND FOOO AND 69TH STREET - WELL, HERE WE GO. AFTER OUR FAMOUS NEIGHBORHOOD RESTAURANT LOUIE GEORGE ON 69TH AND WOOD CLOSED, IT WAS RE-OPENED SOME YEARS LATER. ONE OF THE OWNERS WAS NO LESS THAN LYNN BURTON FOR CERTAIN, THE GUY THAT WAS ON TV ALL THE TIME SELLING USED CARS. A VOICE YOU'LL NEVER FORGET. AFTER HIS LIMITED ENGAGEMENT AT THE 69TH STREET ADDRESS, HE OPENED A RIB JOINT IN HYDE PARK, I THINK IT WAS ON 53RD STREET. HE ACTUALLY WORKED THE CARRY OUT PORTION IN THE FRONT OF THE STORE HIMSELF WITH THAT UNMISTAKEABLE VOICE, "WOULD YOU LIKE TO TRY OUR RIBS, SIR?". JUST ANOTHER TIDBIT ABOUT 69TH STREET RESTAURANTS, HYDE PARK, AND FAMOUS PEOPLE.

AD:

Date: December 19, 2012 03:20AM

Hi Tommy Wilson, I remember that rib house, but the name escapes me for now. They had ribs turning on a spit in the window.You could see the coals glowing beneath them. Not that we had the money to go in and buy ribs, but the heat from the window felt so good on a cold winter's night. About all that we did was stand outside and get warm. I think that the resturant later moved up to about 93rd or so on Stonry Island Avenue. It did not stay there too long.
I am going to take a stab at it say that it might have been the Kon Tiki. I know that it had an out of the way name.

aAll the best, TomC

AD:

Date: December 19, 2012 03:37AM

Hello Richard Syachowski,
As far as Amelia Airhart is concerned. She was my hero. I have collected quite a few pictures of her off of the Internet.They made a great movie about her staring Hilary Swank (of Million Dollar Baby Fame).
Also, my sister went to school with Mel Torme at Hyde Park HS. She did not stay too long as she transferred to an all girl's boarding school in Iowa. Then again,we all knew about Steve Allen. How about Hugh Hefner who once lived at 59th and Blackstone. He stood on the corner downtown when he lost his job at Esquire with just 5 hundred dollars in his pocket and then his thoughts went wild. Tom C

AD:

Date: December 19, 2012 12:18PM

[b]tomc: My brother in law was in Mel's class and the guys were gealouse of him and his talent.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: swampman (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 03:33PM

another on the list of famous people from hyde park is Paul Butterfield of the paul butterfield blues band. music wouldnt be the same without him.

AD:

Date: December 19, 2012 03:35PM

i now remember that rib house. it was located on 57ih street near kimbark and it was called the tropical hut. never ate there. it cost too much for a kids pocket.

Tom C

AD:

Date: December 19, 2012 10:14PM

[b]Remember the Piccadilly Theater?[/b]

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 02:22PM

We moved to the Back of the Yards, 5630 Ashland above Kloekner's flower shop, in 1949 when my mother remarried. We also lived for a year of so at 58th an Bishop. It was a great neighborhood. Before that we lived in a building, or buildings that my grandmother managed, Hyde Park Towers, at 810 and 818 East Hyde Park Blvd (51st and Cottage Grove), which was torn down around 1960 I think. It had been built as the Vermont Hotel, around 1892, to provide accommodations for the World's Fair. It was billed as an apartment hotel and thus had a lot of low income residents living there including several families of DP's from Europe. It was a great mix of people who were for the most part friendly and fun.

My grandfather worked at Armour Meat Packing in the Stockyards, and used to get tickets to various events, I guess because they supplied the hot dogs or something. Most notably was the roller derby at the Colliseum, which has been mentioned here several times, and also for the midget car races at Soldier Field, which were noisy and a lot of fun.

I am a little younger than a couple of you that posted here, in that I graduated from St. Basils in 1955, but I am beginning to understand the nuances of getting old.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: August 30, 2013 07:23PM

Tropical Hut was a swanky Tiki Steak House, they moved down to Stony Island past the skyway, can't remember the address. Ribs N Bibs has been at 53rd and Dorchester for eons.

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 07, 2013 01:10AM

One of the first McDonald's opened near HP over on Stony Island about 1955. Hamburgers were 15 cents but a coupon came in our mailboxes that made them 12 cents, about right for a student's budget then. But we had a neighbor whose family was very wealthy (ie knew how to make money) and advised him to borrow all he could from the university, saying it was for school expenses, and invest it in McDonald's stock. I have often wondered how much he made on that venture since I read that in the early days Ray Kroc couldn't afford to pay his bookkeeper so paid her in McDonald's stock and when she died she was worth $70 million.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact