McGinty's Tavern near 73rd and Cottage Grove

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
McGinty's Tavern near 73rd and Cottage Grove
Posted by: tomc (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2012 01:54AM

Does anybody remember McGinty's Tavern near 73rd and Cottage Grove. My neighbor,Joe Shanley played the fiddle there and especially on St.Patrick's Day. He not only played it at the tavern, but brought it home and played it all night next to our apartment. Joe Shanly was a streetcar conductor and lived at 6621 So.Ingleside. We lived next door at 6619 So.Ingleside. The Shanley's had 3 very beautiful daughters. Both Mr. and Mrs, Shanley were from the Old Sod. They moved from the neighborhood about 1950. TomC

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: McGinty's Tavern near 73rd and Cottage Grove
Posted by: Red10238 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2013 10:55PM

I believe you are referring to Joe and Mary (McGloin) Shanley . Always thought he was an Insurance man but maybe the streetcars , He played music at McGinty's with my uncle Edd Noone Tommy Burke and yes when they were practicing at our house it went on for quite awhile.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 10:27PM

Hi Red,
I speak on occasion with Tom Crane, the person who posted above about McGinty's.
He sent me a photo of Jean Shanley and Phyllis Miller in front of the Shanley house on Ingleside which you can see here:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821940@N00/8434880682/]Jean Shanley & Phyllis Miller, Ingleside Ave.[/url]
He also passed along his thanks to you for your response!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2013 11:43PM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 26, 2015 03:59PM

Hi,

I noticed your post about MicGinty's Tavern near 73rd and Cottage Grove, Chicago. My Great Uncle Edward McGinty owned that Tavern. His residence was 7425 Cottage Grove Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. His spouse was Margaret McNaulty.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what happened to that Tavern or if anyone might have a photo? I know my Gallagher relatives when they immigrated from County Mayo, Ireland all were heading to stay with their relative Edward McGinty. There names were. James Gallagher, Michael Gallagher, Anthony Gallagher, George Gallagher and Catherine Gallagher. Anthony Gallagher and his brother George Gallagher remained in Chicago. According to what their nephew told me, Ed McGinty used them for labor in his tavern.

Our family is also connected to the Noone Family. Someone made mention to a Ed Noone playing music in that bar I'm not certain if their Ed Noone was related to our Noone Family from Carradoogan, County Mayo, Ireland.

Any information would be greatly appreciated about McGinty's Tavern.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2015 05:01PM

Pauline, you might want to move your question to "Questions and Answers" because I don't know if anybody will see your question in all this spam in "General Discussion". I am a northsider myself and I am no help to you on MicGinty's. Sorry.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-70.myvzw.com)
Date: September 26, 2015 09:17PM

We can keep this thread near the top by making extra comments.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2015 10:21PM

OK

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 28, 2015 12:35AM

I don't recall McGinty's however, I sure knew alot of Irishmen at St Rita HS a Dennis Gallagher ran track with me.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-103.myvzw.com)
Date: September 29, 2015 03:48AM

Back to top.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2015 04:46PM

Btt

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact