7-Up Bottling building at 4544 W. Carroll by Naess & Murphy

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
7-Up Bottling building at 4544 W. Carroll by Naess & Murphy
Posted by: frworksonpaper (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2012 01:49PM

After reading Patrick Steffes' article, Five Years of Forgotten Chicago, Part 2: Research, I came across this image of a Seven-Up bottling plant Patrick referred to in his article:

This is a 1961 Hedrich Blessing photo of the newly completed structure.

This building, located at 4544 W. Carroll in Chicago, was built for Joyce Beverage in 1961 and was designed by Naess & Murphy. By 1984 the Joyce family had sold their company. The building was subsequently occupied in 1987 by the Chicago office of the Illinois Department of Employment Security. After the steel building was demolished in the late 1990s or early 2000s, a cinderblock building was erected on its original foundation. Today, close inspection reveals a few remnants of the original steel frame of Naess & Murphy's design:

Here is the site today:

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: 7-Up Bottling building at 4544 W. Carroll by Naess & Murphy
Posted by: QlassiQue (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 27, 2012 02:34AM

Thank you so much for this detailed information on this striking building! We have undated the article on the first five years of FC research to include include your contribution.

We've also updated this article with a recently discovered ad for the former Dixie Square Mall in Harvey, along with with what may be the Chicago area's most forgotten enclosed mall, Meadowdale Mall in Carpentersville.

Thanks again for this information and the great photos - much appreciated!

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 06, 2014 11:24PM

Interesting and nice building. Knowing some employees from 7up they always told me the plant was near Lake Street. Joyce also had a warehouse in Skokie. Most in the area have consolidated and moved everything to Northlake. The 7up water tower can be seen from the interstate.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 13, 2014 07:42PM

I hadn't realized that the Hedgerow on Hyde Park Blvd was Booth, Nagle & Hartray. It was changed slightly iirc right after completion, but I can't quite remember how.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact