Accidental Celebrity Sightings

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Accidental Celebrity Sightings
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 09, 2012 10:15PM

Back in the 70s a friend and I decided to wind up an evening at the Division St. clubs with a drink at the Pump Room.

I approached the glass doors and while talking to my friend I started pushing instead of pulling on the handle. I felt a push back and when I looked up there was Harry Caray laughing at us from behind the glass. We finally let him escape.

We saw him dining at his restaurant a few times too.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Accidental Celebrity Sightings
Date: December 09, 2012 10:20PM

During that wonderful time of the Cubs playoffs some friends and I were circling around trying to find parking near Rush St. Down a dark side street we spotted Nick Nolte looking like a homeless person.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: December 10, 2012 01:12AM

One fine day in the late 1970's I was exiting the B. Dalton bookstore on Wabash. As I went to enter the compartment of the quickly moving revolving door, I found myself face to face with Roger Ebert who was exiting it at the same time. Never even had the chance to say hello.

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2012 02:41AM

Don't know the actors' name--He plays the big/taller brother on Everybody Loves Raymond
Spotted him on Lincoln @ Webster talking with someone on the NW corner.

Also on Lincoln, further north, at Southport & Wellington:

David Schwimmerer (sp?)
first time he was looking for someone through the windows of S & G Restaurant & waiting for them outside.
then ~ a week later outside the Anthenaeum (St. Al's Auditorium) on Southport near the same corner.

I'm told Schwimmerer got his start with a troupe of thespians that still rehearse together there.

AD:

Date: December 10, 2012 03:29AM

I worked at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. Many prominent Chicagoans served on their board of directors.

Once I got on the elevator with Ernie Banks. The next time it was Ann Landers. As usual, I couldn't think of a thing to say.

Also, in connection with RIC, when the new hospital was completed there was a gala celebration and the actress Patricia Neal was the guest of honor (she recovered from a severe stroke years before).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2012 03:32AM by fleurblue.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: December 10, 2012 12:52PM

I once had to take a language test in downtown Chicago. The written test was in the morning, and then there were individual spoken tests in the afternoon. Between the two tests, you had several hours of free time. I wandered up Michigan Avenue to Neiman Marcus, and was wandering around the store. An older gentlemen, elegantly dressed, with two very beautiful women on each arm, came up to me and asked me how I liked the store etc. It wasn't until later that I realized it was the famous merchant, Stanley Marcus.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: December 10, 2012 01:51PM

I was spending a week at my cousin's house, and my aunt and uncle worked at Merchandise Mart. while they worked we would roam the mart. We where playing in the elevators and Ron Majors got in, we just looked at him and he smiled at us.
Latter in the day as we got off an elevator Jane Byrne got in with her entourage.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2012 02:30PM

At Trader Vic's, in the Palmer House, a friend and I saw Martin Luther King with his wife and another man pass by our table.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2012 08:24AM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: rockislandfan (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2012 08:44PM

This is slightly off topic, because it happened last week, but I swear I saw Taylor Kinney from Chicago Fire at the Churchill Field dog park. The man was wearing a hood, but I could see his face clearly. It was the slight gap-toothed smile and scruffy beard that tipped me off. Anyone know if he has a dog? Is he living in Bucktown or Wicker Park?

Cheers,
Jeff

AD:

Date: December 10, 2012 09:01PM

I didn't actually see this but I read about it after the fact.

Katherine Hepburn was in Chicago and staying at the Drake Hotel. She had recently recovered from hip surgery and walking was part of her daily routine.

She was spotted walking down Oak Street Beach, bending every few feet. She was collecting litter. On the return trip she walked briskly back to the Drake.

When asked why she was cleaning up the walking path she said "because it's good exercise - my doctor told me to bend down for my hip." "But another reason is that I'm doing something useful--and--I get to enjoy my work looking at a clean path on my return."

AD:

Posted by: Vern H (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 11, 2012 04:53AM

I have seen Jesse Jackson sr at St Joseph's hospital several times.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 03:39PM

Here, in Wicker Park, they have shot so many movies that we are all pretty jaded about seeing actors.
They shot Last rites of Joe May in the apartment across the gangway from mine, and the dressing room trailers were parked right in front of my building.
When ever people asked what was going on, I told them that Dennis Farina was cr@??ing in the street in front of my house.

But my favorite story came from a biology teacher in my highschool.
When he was in grad school, he was married and living on a shoestring and he would brown bag his lunch every day.
He found a peaceful spot on the stoop of one of the buildings and on nice days he would go out and eat his lunch there.
He met another guy with the same idea. A little Italian fellow who wore work clothes.
They got to be friends, sitting in the sun, trading sandwiches and deserts, talking about sports and the weather and otherwise passing pleasant lunch breaks.
This went on for most of the year, when a buddy of the teachers sees him in the hall and says, "I saw you out on the stoop. What were you talking to Enrico Fermi about."

The teacher was dumbfounded, he had always figured he was a janitor.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 09:01PM

[b]Back in the 60's I worked at a TV shop on Maple & Dearborn. From there I ran service calls down Lake Shore Drive and all around the Gold Coast area. I met mant TV stars weather and newscasters like Kup was one of them. I was at the Nuggents home in the north shore suburbes. I also did service at Mister Kelly's. I met the stars of Bozo's Circus , Ray Rainer and I could go on and on. That was a great experience working in that area of Chicago.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2012 09:02PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: December 14, 2012 09:52PM

Years ago some friends and I decided to get Greek food in the Lawrence/Lincoln area. It was once as popular for Greek places as Greektown is now.

The restaurant was empty except for one table occupied by a couple. We sat down and ordered. I kept looking at the man at the other table. Then we all started sneaking glances.

The man was Mike Royko with the young woman that would soon be his second wife. He seemed irritated that we spotted him. Typical Royko.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact