FC5 Contest

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
FC5 Contest
Posted by: Jacob (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 03:03PM

<A HREF="http://forgottenchicago.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/10/Masoleum-Style.jpg" target="parent3">Click here to view image.</A>

<strong>There is literally no end to the surprising discoveries we here at Forgotten Chicago come across in our research.</strong> The image above (click link) is not Benito Mussolini’s Italy, circa 1942; this building was pure Chicago. Pictured is a little-seen image of a little-remembered, little-documented, and almost completely forgotten local building. Our contest:<strong>

1. Just what <i>is</i> this rather grim building?
2. Where was this built?
3. What year was this completed?
4. What architect(s) were responsible for this building?
5. What is on the site of this building in 2012?</strong>

<strong>The first FC Forum member to correctly identify all five questions above</strong> will receive a complimentary (though subject to our schedule) private Forgotten Chicago tour -- any previously conducted FC walking tour for up to 30 guests; interior visits (if applicable) will be based upon availability.

<strong>This contest will be conducted in the FC Forum,</strong> where the winner will also be notified. Registering for our Forum is quick and easy, and may be done <A HREF=http://forgottenchicago.com/forum/register/ target="parent3">here</A>

<strong>To enter this contest, simply reply to this thread.</strong>The first person to answer all five questions correctly (based on the date and time of their Forum post) will win, and will be notified in the Forum.

--
Jacob Kaplan - Editor
Forgotten Chicago

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: FC5 Contest
Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: December 10, 2012 12:49PM

Here's my try....
1) Orignal Mc Cormick Place
2) 23rd Street & Lake Shore Drive
3) Completed 1960
4) Alfred Shaw
5) East Building of current McCormick Place
6) I will never forget this as it burned on my mother's birthday, and the big snow of 1967 was about the same time.

Ken

AD:

Posted by: BobHerm (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2012 05:54PM

With respect, this building should be forgotten. Call it an experiment.

1) Addition on the Clark St side to the Chicago Historical Society (Chicago History Museum)
2) East side of Clark St, north of North Ave.
3) 1972 or so
4) Alfred Shaw.
5) Same building, but they did a complete re-build in the '90s, that included a facade replacement, and it greatly improved the looks and user-friendliness of the buildings.

AD:

Posted by: QlassiQue (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2012 12:27AM

We have a winner! The building was indeed the (first) addition to the Chicago Historical Society (now Chicago History Museum). We've updated the article with the contest answer, as well as a schematic we found showing the 1988 Holabird & Root addition. which completely covered this building.

BobHerm, contact patrick@forgottenchciago.com when you'd like to schedule your complimentary FC walking tour for up to 30 guests!

AD:

Posted by: larryharp (117.247.126.---)
Date: March 03, 2015 06:17AM

Some contests give you a choice between paper or online entry. Choose paper whenever you can and pay the postage. Emailing submissions (unless as a Word attachment) can play havoc with your careful formatting. Read tips from [url=https://reviews.clazwork.com]essaydoc.com review[/url]

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact