69th and Wood Street

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
69th and Wood Street
Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 09:19PM

Is there anyone out there from the great old Italian neighborhood that ran roughly from Ashland to Damen and 67th (Marquette) to 71st? The area was anchored by St. Mary of Mount Carmel church & school. Although Catholic, St. Mary was not part of the Chicago archdiocese. It was a Carmelite mission staffed by Carmelite priests and nuns many, if not most, came directly from Italy. I attended school there in the 50's and some of my classmates were fresh off the boat Italian immigrants. The Nuns would get us started on a lesson, then walk to the back of the classroom and repeat instructions in Italian to our new students. It was a great neighborhood and I have many fond memories of growing up there.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: 69th and Wood Street
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2012 09:42PM

[b]I remember the park and hang out in the 50's. The "Son's of Italy" was the street gang in that area. I tthink it was Ogden Park. Anybody remeember the store hang out across the street on the south side of the street?[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2012 11:36AM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 07:17PM

Louis George's had great Italian food.

AD:

Posted by: tommy wilson (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: December 13, 2012 08:52PM

CAL MARS ON ASHLAND CLUB CORSICA 79TH WESTERN
ONE OF MY FAVORITES LITTLE EVA'S ON 69TH ST JUST WEST OF BUCKS CITI SERVICE GAS STATION ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE STREET

AD:

Date: December 14, 2012 12:30PM

YOU ARE ON THE MONEY ABOUT A WONDERFUL NEIGHBORHOOD THAT SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN LEFT TO DIE.

AD:

Date: December 14, 2012 01:13PM

It was a long time ago and a different world. I recall being only 5 or 6 years old and my Mother would send me for groceries with a list and an envelope with about $3.00 to cover the cost of peppers at Ambrozino's (sp?), bread at Naples Bakery and Italian sausage at Sarli's. All were located about two blocks from our house. You could never allow a child to do that in today's world. FYI, for those no longer on the Southside, Naples relocated and remains open in Evergreen Park on 95th street.

AD:

Date: December 14, 2012 08:24PM

BELL PEPPERS .29 CENTS A DOZEN
NAPLES BAKERY 1LB LOAF BREAD .18 CENTS
A STICK OF PEPPERONI .25CENTS
RUDY SARLI SOLD ITALIAN SAUSAGE .59CENTS A POUND
A GALLON OF MILK FROM MARVEL DAIRY .59 CENTS
I CAN STILL SEE THE BACCALA STICKING OUT OF THE WOODEN BARRELS IN FRONT OF CASCIO'S
STORE ON 69TH STREET. MATTE GRANADA WAS THE OLD MAN WHO TOOK CARE OF THE FRUITS AND VEGGIES ON THE SIDE WALK IN FRONT OF THE STORE.
THIS WAS A PERIOD IN TIME THAT CANT BE OUTDONE
I MISS IT ,BUT CANT COMPLAIN BECAUSE I LIVED IT

AD:

Date: December 14, 2012 08:34PM

i started out at saint marys and ended up at saint herman raster
the patron saint of thugs

AD:

Posted by: Larry L (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 20, 2013 05:41PM

I lived in the apartment building at 69th and Wood - next to the gas station on the corner and across from Louis George. I went to St. Mary of Mt. Carmel and graduated in 1956 and on to St. Rita HS.

I remember all the old grocery stores and Naples Bakery. Naples Bakery started out as a front for a booky joint but they finally got some bakers from Italy and made it into a REAL bakery.

When I'm back in Chicago, I stop in at Naples in Evergreen Park and stock up!

AD:

Date: May 20, 2013 10:26PM

As a kid we lived on the 6800 block of Wood in my grandmother's two flat. We soon outgrew the apartment and my parents bought a house further south in the city, but my Grandmother stayed until around 1975 and was one of the last (on her block, anyway) to move out. I recall seeing men playing cards on warm Sunday afternoons on a table set up outside that gas station. There was always a gallon jug of Italian wine close by. I also recall sometime in the early 60s when the police raided a couple of homes close to Louie Georges parking lot. My dad said it had something to do with vending machines. And anyone who lived there has to remember the great St. Rocco Festival at St. Mary’s and the fireworks show at Rastor. Great memories....

AD:

Posted by: s68563b (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 08, 2013 01:47AM

we would park next to Granadas Funeral Home, while our ma would shop at Casios, Napels, or the butcher shop,then on the way home, rip off a fresh piece of bread thet stuck out of the grocery bag.

AD:

Posted by: rnikischer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 23, 2014 02:45PM

I'm a little younger - went to St. Mary's and graduated from there in 1970. I lived near 69th & Honore. I loved that time in my life - it was the best. People sitting on their front porches late into the night during the summertime, and no matter where you were in the neighborhood someone knew who you were and didn't hesitate to call your mother if you stepped out of line. Even the police officers knew us and once in a while if we got stupid they would bring us home and I wished they would just cart me off to jail instead. I was friends with Pete Granata and we would play in the funeral home once in a while. Then go to Pine Crest Dairy and mooch free chocolate milk from the workers who were always glad to oblige. Like many of you I got my grocery list and went to Cascio's (never Ambrosino's - don't ask me why) then off to Naples Bakery and Certified Grocers a little further West. I can't forget the produce stand on 69th street just west of Honore and the snack shop next door to it.

Summertime softball on the corner using the 4 sewers as bases.

St. Mary's summer festivals and processions. I was an alter boy and we loved to serve 8am mass to get out of school for a while. Father Angelo Del Vecchio was the head pastor and was a giant of a kind hearted man. Father Al who would pitch quarters with us on the sidewalk in front of the rectory and play poker with us on Friday nights. He swore like a trooper and we loved him too.

I've driven back to the old hood several times in the past ten years and it's heartbreaking. Many home demolished and bare lots all fenced in where life teemed and memories were made.

We finally moved out in 1973 to the SW suburbs but it was a true treasure to relive some of these memories.

Thanks all.

Ralph

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 09:39PM

[b]The burbs are nice but not like old nieghborhoods. ack of the Yards myself and still miss it. Oaklawn now[/b]

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2014 11:17PM

We lived on Marquette .Rd. Four or five doors east of Delpiorie s taylor shop. There son Tony was a couple years older then my brother and me, we hung around with him after school. They had a small house attached to the taylor shop. We knew someone on every block from Ashland to Damen, 67 th to 69th. We were alter boys, and walked those street in the procession,of the Feast of St May Of Mt. Carmel. Ralph nikischer... I believ you were in my brothers class. Ck out St. Marys of Mt. Carmel Church and School. in this forum.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: June 04, 2014 11:05AM

I have alot of memories of this area, but wasn't the fireworks show for the Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in July ? Around 1964 I'd guess (I was pretty little) one of the guys putting on the fireworks show was injured and went off in an ambulance.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2014 08:36PM

Does any remember the Covered Wagon from this area ? I think I was there when quite little but can't remember exactly where it was. I also remember Louie George's, ate there as late as 1972 or 73.

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 16, 2014 09:27PM

Abe Lincoln is still on 69th. and Wolcott.(Wolcott Street was originally named Lincoln Street, but its name was changed in 1939 to avoid confusion with Lincoln Avenue.)

AD:

Date: June 17, 2014 04:40PM

I may be wrong, but I think the Abe Lincoln bust on Wolcott was installed as part of the depression era WPA (Works Progress Administration). I can recall from my childhood that several corner side street parkways in that neighborhood had flag poles sunk in a star-shaped concrete base with the initials WPA and I think Abe's bust may have those initials as well. My Mother used to walk us from home at 69th & Wood to the 63rd & Ashland business district and I recall those flag poles from our walks there and back. I vividly recall one on the SW corner of 68th & Hermitage.

Anyone remember the name of the tavern of the NW corner of 68th & hermitage?

AD:

Posted by: Gerald Olsen (222.127.174.---)
Date: June 24, 2014 02:16AM

Many thanks to mikbasile and ambroseandmario for helping me remember that Abe Lincoln bust on 69th and Wolcott. As a proud graduate of the 1947 kindergarden class of St. Mary of Mount Carmel I had forgotton it was there.I grew up in West Englewood in the 1940's and lived at 67th and Wolcott.

AD:

Date: July 06, 2014 03:42PM

the original whips moaners club was located 68th hermitage n.w.corner. lefty's was the bar on the n.e.corner.whip moved to 69th and hermitage later on.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact