Nelson Algren Sites

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Nelson Algren Sites
Posted by: mkasprzy (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 07:22PM

I want to start by saying this is a great site. I am very interested in Nelson Algren and was wondering if anyone ever came across photos of Algren in his Wabansia Apartment? I know Shay published a few of them but I imagine there are others. Or do others know of any other sites that he frequented (i.e. bars) that may still be around? Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Nelson Algren Sites
Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 08:48PM

mkasprzy, You may be interested in this:

I recently purchased an old movie (DVD), made in 1963, called "Goldstein". Nelson Algren "makes an appearance in the film which he recounts the tale of Lostball Stahouska."

I wouldn't have known about this old movie had it not been for the Forgotten Chicago feature: The Extension And Removal Of Ogden Avenue. Two photographs in this feature article piqued my interest.

However, . . . be forewarned that the film is totally crazy. ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2012 03:48PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: Deejo (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 03, 2012 01:10AM

There is a map of sites related to Algren here:

http://www.nelsonalgren.org/map.htm

I know his family home on S. King Drive is still standing - it was for sale a couple years ago. His other boyhood home on N. Troy street (discussed in City on the Make) is also still standing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2012 01:11AM by Deejo.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 04, 2012 08:20PM

There has been a lot of great discussion about the movie Goldstein here, then and now photos, etc.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 10:05AM

Also, you can search Nelson Algren at: Studs Terkel: Conversations with America

http://www.studsterkel.org/

AD:

Posted by: Bill_Baar (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 05:52PM

I went to O'Rourkes http://www.chibarproject.com/Memoriam/O'Rourke's/O'Rourke's.htm just after Algren left Chicago for New Jersey because I had read Algren used to drink there. The Bar Tender told me Algren was a pain in the tail, and especially rude to women.

I remember Roger Ebert was sitting at the bar too. He describes the look of the place in the link above although I think the picture of O'Rourkes was a later incarnation of the place. I remember it as more of a corner location at Sedgewick and North. I remember the picture of Brenda Behan real well.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact