Pre-fire House at 2024 W. Warren to be demolished

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Pre-fire House at 2024 W. Warren to be demolished
Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2012 03:46AM

Here are some awesome negatives that came right out of 2024 W. Warren Blvd., purchased by frworksonpaper.

The first one is standing right in front of the house looking west on Warren in the mid 1950s. Note that you can see the interesting "lattice" or whatever that funky front porch wood design is on the house next door at 2028. Everything in this view is now sadly gone.

The next view is the beautiful Mrs. LaVonia Bailey standing next to the couple's brand new 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air sedan.

The last one features Mr. Bailey's 56 Chevy parked on a street which I think may be Madison St. A couple of businesses in the back ground are Keller's Corset Studio, Madison(?) Luggage, and on the corner, The People's Gas Light and Coke Company.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2012 04:29AM by Berwyn Frank.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: October 31, 2012 10:30AM

Great detective work and pictures! Makes you wonder how much history is still put up and forgotten in the basements and attics around the city!

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: October 31, 2012 09:26PM

Wow, are those great photos!

Frank, you're right; the last photo was taken on Madison, at Keeler, viewed looking east. The Keller Corset shop at 4153 Madison and the building one door east are still standing - the corset shop is now a Jackson-Hewitt, according to the Google Street View.

The son of the Keller Corset company founders was Sheldon Keller, a comedy writer who worked with Sid Caesar, Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks.

AD:

Posted by: frworksonpaper (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2012 10:28PM

The ghost sign at 4153 W. Madison.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49023084@N07/5419039679/in/set-72157625858321529/

AD:

Date: November 02, 2012 02:29AM

Wow! Wardell, I didn't even notice your post! Great info, I knew it had to be somewhere around Madison & Pulaski with the photo showing such a vibrant shopping district!

frworksonpaper, awesome ghost sign as well!

On a sad note it's such a shame what's happened to that area. I will have to show this phto to my father who was living right there at this exact time. His family lived at 4054 W. Adams right up the street. [url=http://forgottenchicago.com/forum/1/3084/page=7/_subject_]I documented in another thread[/url] how the building he grew up in lasted until 2009 when it was torn down after a devastating fire.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2012 02:43AM by Berwyn Frank.

AD:

Posted by: mkasprzy (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 06:20PM

Does anyone know if people are saving any of the historic building elements? Would I be able to go by and salvage items?

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 03, 2012 01:23AM

Berwyn Frank Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mornac, the U.S. Marine hospital was located at
> 4141 North Clarendon Avenue, Chicago. Here is a
> circa 1908 image of it from the collection of
> poster frworksonpaper.
>
>

--GASP!!! I work two blocks away from there and I drive by that address every morning. These days it's a privately owned pay parking lot.

Thanks to everyone for the photos and other info on this topic. It's fast becoming the gift that keeps on giving.

AD:

Posted by: brookish (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2012 09:24PM

I just have one question. Why or why when I lived in Chicago did I never find any super cool and historic house estate sales???? I was practically in a tithy looking at the pictures. Thanks to all that posted!!

Berwyn Frank, do you have a "secret in" for the estate sales? Or do you just check out estate sale finders online?

AD:

Date: November 03, 2012 09:37PM

Brookish, no "secret ins," heads up, secret handshakes, or anything like that. I just keep an eye out at advertisements, word of mouth, etc. The real "heads up" I got about this sale was when I was looking, and the address was finally posted, I said "hmmmmm." I NEVER see estate sales in the impoverished neighborhoods on Chicago's south and west sides, and when I do they are usually nothing interesting. I then did my usual "estate sale investigation" of checking tax records, property photos, looking up obituaries, and if it's in Berwyn and Cicero, I look back through my old city directories to gauge how long the people have been living there. If it's interesting, I attend. You have to sift though a lot of crap to get to the good ones. This was one of the good ones.

The other cool thing is having a place like this to tell people about it and get the "urban explorer" juices of others flowing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2012 09:58PM by Berwyn Frank.

AD:

Posted by: brookish (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2012 09:44PM

Thanks Berwyn Frank. I'm duly inspired!!

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 07:46PM

This is completely off topic, but I have to ask. In the picture of the '56 Chevrolet on Madison St, the street lights in the background are the very old ones, probably the earliest ones that I remember. I am puzzled because I swear that on the south side, Back of the Yards area we had the "modern" vapor lights that were over the middle of the street before 1956. Like most other neighborhoods for those of us in grammar school the street lights were the signal to get in the house, I graduated from grammar school in 1955 and I am sure those lights were in place for several years before that.

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2012 02:34AM

While we're briefly on the topic of Madison;
What stetch was known for harboring (& enabling) alcolohic, "street Bums" in the mid '60's?

I'm told its how & where a relative spent the last dacade of his life before freezing to death 2 weeks before the Blizzard of 1967.

Only know, his Nickname was 'Red', 'Booger', or "Booger Red"

AD:

Date: November 15, 2012 04:33AM

Lance, the strech of Madison St. you are refering to was known as "Skid Row." I believe Skid Row went from the river west to Halsted (or maybe a little bit further west).

AD:

Posted by: Bill_Baar (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: December 31, 2012 01:50PM

Skid row went further west than Halstead. There were still bars west of Halstead that catered to the skid row demographic. I worked as far away as 1033 West Van Buren at Philmaid Lingerie and we would have to shag winos off the loading doc in the morning. There was industry further west but certainly skid row denizens too.

AD:

Posted by: RGrover (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2013 12:19AM

I'm guessing that this house will be torn down soon. I drive by there on my way to work and noticed a bull dozer parked next to it this morning.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2013 11:58AM

[b]I ministered in the 80's at the Olive Branch and the Bible rescue Mission on Madison street. Also at Chicago Uvited at 58 s. Des Plaines.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2013 11:58AM

[b]I ministered in the 80's at the Olive Branch and the Bible rescue Mission on Madison street. Also at Chicago United at 58 s. Des Plaines.[/b]

AD:

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact