Pre-fire House at 2024 W. Warren to be demolished

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Pre-fire House at 2024 W. Warren to be demolished
Posted by: Lance Grey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2012 11:31PM

Great photos!
She could have / might have been quite a painted lady in her day.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 30, 2012 12:08AM

"She could have / might have been quite a painted lady in her day."

Really Lance? I am not sure about that. I thought a lot of houses like this one from the 1860s and 1870s were painted straight white or "pigeon gray" back in the day.

AD:

Posted by: Brule Laker (---.c3-0.mart-ubr1.chi-mart.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: October 30, 2012 12:34AM

I was at the house today and the contractor who bought the red mouldings told me the house will be demolished tomorrow. Photos can be found on my Flickr site.

AD:

Date: October 30, 2012 01:06AM

Here are a couple more pics. The first one is of the boiler which was actually on and working when we were there! There were also those huge tanks in the basement that I think used to hold heating oil or something?

The second is of a counter or cabinet that the poster frworksonpaper bought (he might want to add to this comment) along with the original fire place mantle. On the back of this cabinet is written:

Dr. Bensen U.S.M. Hospital Chicago.

Burle, I would be surprised if they actually demolished the house tomorrow. When we were there there was still gas, electric, and water running into the house. Could all three of those be shut off that fast?

AD:

Date: October 30, 2012 02:36AM

I did some digging on the owners of the house. In 1929 the house was occupied by Houston & Marian Buckner.

In the estate sale write up they talked about the owners Edward V. Anthony Jr. and Lorraine Anthony. About how they were living there during the 1968 riots along Madison St., etc. Someone in the household attended the Tuskege Institute in Alabama in the early to mid 1940s because there was year books from there which were gone before we got to the sale. The estate sale write up also mentions that that someone attended DePaul. Here are their obituaries:

Edward V. Anthony, Jr.
age 89, passed away July 6, 2012 at Meadowbrook Nursing Home in Naperville, IL. He was the son of the late Edward V. Anthony, Sr. and Fannie Lane Anthony of Gallatin. He was preceded in death by his wife, Lorraine O. Anthony and his brother, Foster E. Anthony, Sr. He leaves to cherish his memory, his beloved son, Edward V. Anthony, III, granddaughter, Mary Sharon Vaughn and great granddaughters, Melody and Emma Wainwright and other family and friends. Service will be Saturday, July 14 with wake at 10:30 a.m. and funeral at 11 a.m. at Strawther and White Funeral Home, 150 North Blakemore Avenue, 230-0810. Interment will follow in Gallatin Cemetery.

Lorraine Anthony
January 05, 2003

Lorraine Anthony, nee Osborne, beloved wife of Edward V. Anthony Jr.; loving mother of Edward V. Anthony III; loving grandmother of Marysharon; and dear godmother of Doretha Hinton; fond sister of the late Henry T. Osborne and Katherine Vinson; loving aunt of Rita Vinson, Roderick D. Vinson Jr., Yvette Anthony Williams and Foster E. Anthony Jr.; cousin and friend to many. Visitation Sunday, Jan. 5, 2003, 6 to 8 p.m. at Pickett's Johnson Funeral Home, 409 W. North Ave., Chicago, IL 60610, 312-642-5359. Funeral services will be held Monday, Jan. 6, 2003 at St. Matthews Methodist Church, 1000 N. Orleans St., Chicago, IL 60610, 312-337-7111. Lying in state wake 6 to 7 p.m. Funeral services 7 to 8 p.m.

Then I went and looked at the property records and it says that the Anthonys bought the property from Robert and LaVonia Bailey in August 1994 for $15,000. At the sale I found a membership card from the Holy Name Society from 1948 and the name on the card is Robert Bailey (his address from that time was 2429 W. Lake St.). Here is his obituary. Notice that he is listed as a well known electrical contractor which was memtioned in the estate sale write up, but credited to Edward Anthony. Also, Mr. Bailey's 1960 Chevy van he used for his job was still in the garage of the house.

Robert Bailey
August 16, 2006

Robert Bailey, 86, of Chicago, beloved husband of LaVonia, nee McCord. Went to be with his Lord and Savior August 14, 2006. Mr. Bailey was a well known electrical contractor in Chicago. In addition to his wife LaVonia, he is survived by his daughters Iris, Ilene (Leo II) Boler, Inez Hill, Roberta, and Roslyn; grandchildren Robert III, Sonya, Kevin, Glen, Eva (Gregory) Bright, Richard (Karita), Ramon (Sharmika), Alvino (Sarah), Rahsaan (Tamika), Leo III, Nicole, Shayla (Kenneth) Washington, Damian, Rynae, Natasha, and Kiara; 25 great-grandchildren and three greatgreat-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his sons Robert II, Michael and Henry. Visitation 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at Wallace Funeral Home, 2020 W. Roosevelt Rd., Broadview. A wake will be held at 10 a.m. followed by a Funeral Mass at 10:30 a.m. Friday, August 18 at Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica, 3121 W. Jackson Blvd., Chicago. Interment Queen of Heaven Cemetery in Hillside. It is suggested in lieu of flowers, memorial donations be sent to your local chapter of the American Diabetes Association. For info, call 708-344-1288.

When I look at Mr. Bailey's obit I don't see Edward or Lorraine (nee Osborne) Anthony listed as members of the departed's family. Kind of strange. I wonder if they knew the Bailey's and were just friends? Why would they buy and move into a house filled with the departed's belongings?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 02:38AM by Berwyn Frank.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 30, 2012 02:42AM

Any guess as to how old the cabinet is? An obituary for a Dr. John Benson shows up in an 1899 edition of The Medical Standard. Born in 1859, upon graduation from medical school entered service at the U.S. Marine Hospital in Chicago and in 1890 became the head physician at Dunning.

AD:

Date: October 30, 2012 03:25AM

Wow! That's more great info, however, I am not sure when the cabinet dates from. It was in the third, or back addition of the house. My friend who bought it said it looked later then the houses vintage.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2012 11:23AM

I'm trying to imagine what the view of the Fire of 1871 was like from the windows of this house. The Fire did not reach the house; and raged east of the Chicago river, but the view must have been frightening.

AD:

Posted by: Brule Laker (---.c3-0.mart-ubr1.chi-mart.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: October 30, 2012 12:31PM

The contractor taking out the red window frames told me the demolision is scheduled for today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 05:14PM by Brule Laker.

AD:

Posted by: frworksonpaper (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2012 02:31PM

Here is the ad from the Tribune from 1872.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77214093@N03/8129166058/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 07:07PM by frworksonpaper.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: October 30, 2012 03:16PM

Frank, re: the Anthony/Bailey ownership question...I found that both 2024 and 2028 (assume that's the address of the house/lot next door) were owned by Mr. Anthony. Maybe there was some sort of gentleman's agreement about tenancy and ownership.

AD:

Date: October 30, 2012 03:55PM

More great info Wardell. That makes perfect sense. Mr. Anthony DID own the house next door at 2028 and after his death it has been torn down. Now they are going to tear down the house at 2024 which he also "acquired," making a lot of room for one of those big buildings that sandwich the two old houses.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2012 07:27PM

I could not resist this off-topic comment: Tad Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's son, in 1866, attended the Brown School on Warren Avenue between Page and Wood Streets; about two bocks east of the home at 2024.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 31, 2012 12:05AM

Anyone know where the U.S. Marine Hospital was located?

AD:

Date: October 31, 2012 12:33AM

We just made Curbed Chicago!

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2012/10/30/2024-w-warren.php

AD:

Date: October 31, 2012 01:02AM

Mornac, the U.S. Marine hospital was located at 4141 North Clarendon Avenue, Chicago. Here is a circa 1908 image of it from the collection of poster frworksonpaper.

Here is a picture of the whole cabinet that frworksonpaper removed from the house. The writing about Dr. Bensen is on the back. The cabinet looks pretty old, someone added wheels to the bottom of it.

AD:

Date: October 31, 2012 01:34AM

House is still standing...lights are on in the upstairs room facing the street...

AD:

Date: October 31, 2012 01:37AM

I knew it wasn't going to get torn down today. A LOT goes into tearing something down and some "contractor" telling someone something third hand was to far fetched. When somethings going to get torn down you have to get all the utility services terminated, fencing, notices stuck on the front door, etc., etc.

AD:

Date: October 31, 2012 02:03AM

Just a few more tidbits about names associated with the house's early years:

-Jos. Hambleton and a Chalkley J. Hambleton were partners in forming the Cook County Abstract Company in 1885. Chalkley wrote a popular book about his time spent in the Pikes Peak gold rush of 1860 titled [i]A Gold Hunter's Experience[/i].

-JH Braynard (see 1872 Tribune ad posted above) and Chalkley Hambleton are both listed as board members in the 1874 Annual Report of the Board of Public Works to City Council.

AD:

Date: October 31, 2012 02:52AM

Wardell, how are these people associated with the house? What 1872 Tribune ad?

AD:

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact