Pizzarias

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Pizzarias
Posted by: rjmachon (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 26, 2012 02:53PM

[b]Does anyone remember LaScales Pizza and Resturant that was on Higgins Ave. just east of Harlem Ave.? Next to the bar on the corner. Then they moved to a new location on Harlem Ave. about 6600 North Harlem, in the late 1990's. John was the owner and ran the place with his wife. They closed up now and I was just wondering what ever happen to them. I knew John but lost touch with him when I moved out of the city.[/b]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: jk (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2012 01:41AM

Nardo's! Crust ultra greasy on the bottom, formed into soft wet pillows on top from the steam generated underneath the impermeable layer of yellow cheese. The completely covered middle squares were the best because the crust itself had little flavor, but we would compete for the tiny triangular "corner" pieces where the extra sauce always seemed to hide.

Slicker Sam's in Melrose Park, the first place I had a deep dish. Didn't know what I was getting; described it to friends as a loaf of bread covered in sauce and cheese. Wish I'd had a chance to go back after my taste had improved.

AD:

Posted by: WDH74 (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 28, 2012 02:31PM

Dunning1 Wrote:

>
> Getting a little out of the area, I lived in the
> Bensonhurst area of Brooklyn for about ten years,
> and I remember going into the original Sbarro's,
> which was at the corner of 17th Avenue and 65th
> Street. I often was served at the counter by Mr.
> Sbarro himself. Last time I visited back there,
> the original store, which was more of a salumeria
> than a pizzeria, was gone, but I always remember
> Mr. Sbarro when I visit one of their pizzerias
> today.

I find that very interesting, since I honestly thought that Sbarro's was just a made up name for a chain of mall pizza places. It would not have occurred to me that they had their beginnings in a genuine NY-style pizza joint (or grocery store as it seems). I guess because they've been a mall staple for so long, and they don't make a big deal about their heritage like McDonald's does.

Not having grown up in the city I have no idea what pizza places were like. Out here in the suburbs we used to have a great place called Orlando's, which was owned by the parents of one of my schoolmates. Anyway they had the best pizza, but sometime in the 90's they changed the sauce formula, and it was just bland and awful. They're still in business, but I don't know how because i never see cars parked there, and they're kind of out on the edge of town.

I almost hate to admit it, but they opened up an Aurelio's near my folks' place, and it's pretty good.

AD:

Posted by: olafrance01 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2012 10:22PM

Gulliver's. Howard and California. Great pizza in the late 60s / early 70s and never carded for pitchers of beer. Still there, but I moved away years ago.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: October 29, 2012 06:41PM

WHD74-Again, apologize for being off topic, but click on the link below for an obit on Mrs. Sbarro who died recently. You can see a pic of the store as it looks today, but back in my days the storefront was an art deco masterpiece!

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/12/mama-sbarro-is-gone-but-void-is-noticed-in-bensonhurst/

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 07:26PM

Going bac to the 50's, there was a pizzaria at about 5640 S. Ashland, called Nck and Vito's until one of them sold out to the other guy and then it just had the one name, and I cannot remember which one it was.

The all arund best pizza in the world was, and still is, at Vito and Nick's at 84th and Pulaski. No relation to the other place on Ashland, just coincidence, I guess. Of course how much coincidence is there in 2 different Italian places being named Vito and Nick. Anyway the Pulaski place has been rated highly by several national magazines. It is thin crust only and delicious.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: November 05, 2012 07:43PM

jak378 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Going bac to the 50's, there was a pizzaria at
> about 5640 S. Ashland, called Nck and Vito's until
> one of them sold out to the other guy and then it
> just had the one name, and I cannot remember which
> one it was.
>
> The all arund best pizza in the world was, and
> still is, at Vito and Nick's at 84th and Pulaski.
> No relation to the other place on Ashland, just
> coincidence, I guess. Of course how much
> coincidence is there in 2 different Italian places
> being named Vito and Nick. Anyway the Pulaski
> place has been rated highly by several national
> magazines. It is thin crust only and delicious.

Many call the place on 84th and Pulaski -- Nick and Vito's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2012 01:06PM by daveg.

AD:

Date: November 06, 2012 07:29PM

daveg Wrote:
> jak378 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Going bac to the 50's, there was a pizzaria at
> > about 5640 S. Ashland, called Nck and Vito's
> until
> > one of them sold out to the other guy and then
> it
> > just had the one name, and I cannot remember
> which
> > one it was.
> >
> > The all arund best pizza in the world was, and
> > still is, at Vito and Nick's at 84th and
> Pulaski.
> > No relation to the other place on Ashland, just
> > coincidence, I guess. Of course how much
> > coincidence is there in 2 different Italian
> places
> > being named Vito and Nick. Anyway the Pulaski
> > place has been rated highly by several national
> > magazines. It is thin crust only and
> delicious.
>
> Many call the place on 84th and Pulaksi -- Nick
> and Vito's.

You may be correct., I really cannot remember. We were in Chicago recently and had a pizzaa,m and I cannot remember ever seeing a sign outside. I do know that Vito was the father, now dead and Nick the son, now quite old. One of the sons, who may also be named Vito now runs it.

AD:

Posted by: Jazzman (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: November 15, 2012 09:50PM

Posted by: Jazzman
Date: 11/15/2012 06:42PM

[b]Dunning1[/b] .... I too remember my folks taking me to the "Pizza Palace" at Narragansett and Diversey. You are correct it was there in the late 50's and probably into the early 60's.

Mr Edwards probably had to open up in the 1970s. It was always very good -- until the last few years of operation.

[b]gglow[/b] FYI .... you mentioned Jumbo Johns (Grand & Damen.). I remember my dad taking me there in the 1960s. This was after we went shopping across the street at a big Lionel train store.

I suggest you visit...Lolo's Sub Shop 7501 W Diversey Ave Elmwood Park, IL 60707

[b]They are some how related to the original Jumbo Johns[/b] and feature MUCH of the same menu including the square pizzas... and the famous Pizza Sausage Sandwich [i]( which is an Italian Sausage link rolled in a slice of Cheese Pizza.)[/i]

AD:

Posted by: Bruce Kelleher (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 05:18PM

Not really a pizzaria but Liquor Town on Damen & Diversey across from Lathrop really had great pizza in the 50s...thanks to Ciro. Used to get a kick out of watchin him flippin that dough in the air....

AD:

Posted by: Dunning Crazy (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2012 09:40PM

Yes, I remember LaScala's on Higgins. We also used to order from Mangia's on Addison and from Tony and Lil's on Irving (Six Corners area)

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 11:58AM

During the 60s/early 70s Giggios did hand tossed pizza in the front window of their store on the north side of Devon Ave a few doors east of California. I also remember seeing pizza delivery vehicles in the neighborhood every evening from Lauries at Foster and Broadway. A third local pizza option was IL Forno. The name still survives, but under different ownership.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 07, 2012 01:18AM

I remember a small pizza/Italian restaurant called "Marsi's" on the NE corner of Lawrence and Nagel. I don't know how long it was there but the pizza was great. The dinners were excellent. Sorry to see it go.

They had two storefront dining rooms, one for dinners and one for pizza.

As a frame of reference, Elliot's dairy was on the other corner and Butera directly across the street.

AD:

Posted by: tommy wilson (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: December 13, 2012 12:06PM

FOR THE 69TH STREET GUY'S FROM THE 1950"S IT WAS PETE'S PIZZERIA
ON 69TH STREET JUST BEFORE LOOMIS OR DUNN'S PIZZA ON HERMITAGE BETWEEN 67 AND 68TH STREET NEAR SAINT MARY'S CHURCH. I MISS MY NEIGHBORHOOD, HOW ABOUT YOU?
TOMMY.

AD:

Date: December 14, 2012 12:21PM

ALSO GREAT PIZZA AT LITTLE JOE'S ON 63RD ST AND HOW ABOUT PALERMO'S ALSO ON 63RD STREET.THE GREATEST BEEF SANDWICH OF ALL TIME LITTLE EVA'S ON 69TH STREET JUST PAST MARSHFIELD. SON'S OF ITALY TURF

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2012 01:22PM

Was Little Eva's the name of the beef stand located on the SW corner of 69th & Marshfield, just west of the bus barn or was that a different business? In the late 60's and early 70's I probably ate here once a week. Beef, meatball or sausage sandwich was around 60 or 70 cents. And when I was broke I could get a pepper sandwich for a quarter. I have new favorites, most notably Pop's, but to this day, that stand on 69th street had the best tasting Italian sandwiches I've eaten. And I recall the lady who ran it was very nice.

AD:

Date: December 14, 2012 09:15PM

LITTLE EVA'S WAS ONCE A BAR THAT LOST THE LIQUOR PERMIT
AND THEN CONVERTED TO FOOD ONLY.THEY SERVICED THE MILK DRIVERS FROM MARVEL DAIRY IN THE EARLY MORNING HOURS.EVA ALSO WAS OPEN FOR LUNCH AND WOULD USUALLY CLOSE ABOUT 3:OOPM. HER HUSBAND, JOHN, WAS A BOOKIE. HE WOULD ALWAYS SIT NEAR THE FRONT WINDOW UNDER A BIG PICTURE OF PRESIDENT FRANKLIN DELANO ROOSEVELT FACING 69TH STREET.THEY WERE BOHEMIAN, BUT EVA COULD PREPARE ITALIAN FOOD BETTER, YES, I SAID BETTER THAN MOST ITALIANS.IF SOME OF THE SAUCE OR GRAVY WOULD SPILL ON YOUR NAPKIN, YOU WOULD EAT THE NAPKIN.THEY LIVED ABOVE THE RESTAURANT WITH THE MILLER FAMILY.I WAS 13 YEARS OLD AND HAD A PRIVILEGE TO CHARGE MY FOOD.

AD:

Date: December 16, 2012 06:39PM

tommy wilson Wrote:
> FOR THE 69TH STREET GUY'S FROM THE 1950"S IT WAS
> PETE'S PIZZERIA
> ON 69TH STREET JUST BEFORE LOOMIS OR DUNN'S PIZZA
> ON HERMITAGE BETWEEN 67 AND 68TH STREET NEAR SAINT
> MARY'S CHURCH. I MISS MY NEIGHBORHOOD, HOW ABOUT
> YOU?
> TOMMY.

Wasn't Dunn's at 69th or 71st and Damen?

AD:

Date: December 16, 2012 07:47PM

THEY MOVED TO TO THE S.W. CORNER OF 67TH AND DAMEN YEARS LATER. THEY STARTED OUT ON HERMITAGE ON THE WEST SIDE OF STREET BUT THE PIZZA STAYED THE SAME

AD:

Posted by: murphman (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: January 01, 2013 02:10AM

Logalbos under the tracks on Southport. Remember the grease running down your arm as you held a slice. Good stuff! Changed the name to Red Tomato. Heard the same family owns it, just changed the name to satisfy the yuppie element.Also I believe the original Leonas on the NW corner of Belmont and Sheffield. Next to the Pullman Inn, which deserves its own place in infamy. Just south on Sheffield was the original Pat's. It was below street level. A friend of mine cut dough circles there, his stepfather either ran or owned the place at the time,mid to late eighties. Used to drink beer and shoot the bull there. Good old days!

AD:

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact