DeMars

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
DeMars
Posted by: adgorn (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 01:38AM

I noticed on your "more things change" page the photo of an old DeMars Coffee shop. Ironically, you also have a photo of the old Marigold marquee on the same page. Ironic because there was another DeMars right around the corner from the Marigold on Broadway just north of Grace. Used to go there for breakfast after church on Sundays as a kid. They had those jukebox things at every table. I enjoyed flipping the metal pages and looking at all the songs.

Alan

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: DeMars
Posted by: CDean1262 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2008 06:26PM

The DeMars picture you show as Chicago & Wood was in fact @ the corner of Chicago & Paulina, and is indeed closed.

AD:

Posted by: hipoldguy (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 09:50PM

The only remaining DeMars that I know of is on Western in Blue Island. Very nice people, large menu.

AD:

Posted by: celticjunker1 (76.29.96.---)
Date: April 08, 2008 04:26AM

The DeMars in Blue Island has the BEST homemade potato pancakes around. Went there today and as I sat in a booth by the window, looked at the top of the old three story office building on the N/W corner of Western Ave. It says "Blue Island State Bank" Carved into the stone across the front. Also some pretty fancy Arts and Crafts style playing with the way they layed the bricks at the tops of the single pane windows that line the south side of the bldg. It could be a sweetheart but taxes are way out of line there. Too rich for my blood.

AD:

Posted by: rockislandfan (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2008 07:12PM

I recall a Marty deMars restaurant across Van Buren from the old La Salle Street Station. The best malteds and grilled cheese sandwiches a kid could have. Was that part of the same chain?

AD:

Posted by: jclillig (---.lew-16.depaul.edu)
Date: April 10, 2008 01:55AM

Not exactly the right thread, I guess, but the mention of the Marigold Bowl prompted me to mention that the structure across the street that is now a church used to be the old Marigold Gardens, where wrestling and boxing were held (sometimes televised) in the 1950's.

The lot that the church is on (including the big parking lot and the IHOP site) was known as the Marigold Gardens at least since the early 1900's, and was originally a beer garden.

I know there are pictures of the Gardens on the Library of Congress American Memory site (from the Daily News Archives) but maybe someone knows of other photos of the boxing/wrestling era?

AD:

Posted by: curtis (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: April 21, 2008 04:16PM

Yes, the DeMars shown was at the corner of Paulina, not Wood. Although it was a lovely vintage vignette (in the early 90's), I always felt it was a crying shame that the food was prepared without any evidence of care. It was truly unremarkable, ubiquitous diner chow. No sweet memories linger.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2015 11:11PM

Btt

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2015 11:38PM

[b]Troky: What is btt?[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2015 08:21AM

Btt is back to top

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2015 08:22AM by Trosky.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2015 10:14PM

Wasn't there a DeMars on Granville just east of Broadway?

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: September 28, 2015 01:10PM

And, wasn't there a DeMars Coffee Shop on the 4000 block of North Avenue, near the old Tiffin Theater?

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: September 28, 2015 04:24PM

Bringing it back to the top of the list

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-103.myvzw.com)
Date: September 29, 2015 03:51AM

Back to top.

AD:

Posted by: West Town (64.107.32.---)
Date: September 29, 2015 10:46PM

bump

AD:

Posted by: West Town (64.107.32.---)
Date: September 29, 2015 10:49PM

When I was growing up in West Town it was a Sunday morning ritual after going to 9AM mass at Holy Innocents we'd stop at DeMar's at Paulina & Chicago for breakfast and then hit the Hub bakery for fresh bread and pasteries on the way home.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 30, 2015 11:19AM

those rituals are the ones I treasure

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact