Northwest Side Eateries Long Gone

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Northwest Side Eateries Long Gone
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 14, 2012 05:20PM

There were plenty of restaurants that my family visited over the years that no longer exist...alas.

Steer & Stein was a favorite on Cicero south of Addison. Good burgers etc. in a pub-like atmosphere.

Spoke and Yoke was located on Central just north of Irving (I think). Steaks and american fare.

The Wishing Well near Elston and Irving.

Heidelberger Fas Lincoln. Great atmosphere. You can add Zum Deutchen Eck on Southport to the list.

The Leather Bottle on Grand. Great burgers.

Is Plentywood Farm still in operation?

The Northern Chalet on north Milwaukee near Libertyville.

Rustic Manor in Gurnee. North woods decor and incredibly long waits.

I have great memories of all these places. Celebrated birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, etc. at many.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Northwest Side Eateries Long Gone
Posted by: olafrance01 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2012 06:54PM

Plentywood Farm was torn down to make room for yet another subdivision in the 90s. Another place with great memories for me, The Mill Race Inn, in Geneva closed last year. But Gulliver's on Howard is still there, that was a college favorite. I haven't been there in years as I now live on the East Coast.

AD:

Date: October 15, 2012 10:18PM

Too bad about Plentywood Farm and Mill Race Inn. Both served good food and had great atmosphere. Gullivers lives on...

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2012 12:56PM

Fleurblue, loved Gullivers incredible pizza on Howard east of California back in the mid 60s. Do you remember the fabulous Pie Pan restaurant on Cicero ave at Peterson?

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2012 08:08PM

Black Steer at 6400 W.North

Ferndell's at North nr Pulaski

Tastee-Hastee Dog at 5400 N.Milwaukee

AD:

Date: October 16, 2012 09:49PM

Shoreline, I don't remember the Pie Pan but I just thought of the Magic Pan creperie in Old Orchard and in Chicago. Also the Jojo's chain which is now occupied by Baker's Square. The Rusty Scupper had a location in Lincoln Park and near River Rd. on the Northest side. It was an interesting seafood place.

AD:

Posted by: jk (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2012 07:56PM

Chipast, wasn't Tastee-Hastee the one that included lettuce on their dogs?

And I remember the Red Star Inn after it moved to Irving Park.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 18, 2012 12:48AM

shoreline Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Do you remember the fabulous Pie Pan restaurant on
> Cicero ave at Peterson?

--I was never in it shoreline, but I remember it well. We passed it in our car driving home from Grandma's on many Sunday evenings. Kids had to look at it because there was a fair sized plaster-like ice cream cone attached to the corner of their roof. We always assigned it different flavor each time we passed ("Hey look! It's strawberry-marshmallow today!")

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2012 10:29AM

They also had a Gulliver's in Niles on Milwaukee, north of Dempster on the west side of the street in the late 80's. They sold the property to some furniture store.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2012 11:11AM by rjmachon.

AD:

Date: October 20, 2012 11:03AM

[b]Does anyone remember LaScales Pizza and Resturant that was on Higgins Ave. just east of Harlem Ave.? Next to the bar on the corner. Then they moved to a new location on Harlem Ave. about 6600 North Harlem, in the late 1990's. John was the owner and ran the place with his wife. They closed up now and I was just wondering what ever happen to them. I knew John but lost touch with him when I moved out of the city. [/b]

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 01:16PM

fleurblue Wrote:
> Shoreline, I don't remember the Pie Pan but I just
> thought of the Magic Pan creperie in Old Orchard
> and in Chicago. Also the Jojo's chain which is
> now occupied by Baker's Square. The Rusty Scupper
> had a location in Lincoln Park and near River Rd.
> on the Northest side. It was an interesting
> seafood place.

The Magic Pan at O Orchard was my wife's favorite because of a certain vegetable soup specialty. I was in Jojos many times at their location on Devon just east of Lincoln Ave. It was a decent late evening food option. I liked Rusty Scupper as well. The food was slightly upscale with better than average prime rib and fish. I think it was on Higgins just west of the Marriot Hotel and east of E River Rd.

AD:

Posted by: Bruce Kelleher (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 05:16PM

Was it Round Robin or Red Robin on Diversey west of western...Rockwell maybe.

AD:

Date: December 05, 2012 03:24PM

I'm pretty sure it was the Round Robin. Yummy chicken in a basket with a small container of honey on the side as a condiment.

AD:

Date: December 05, 2012 03:30PM

As a kid I heard about Matt Iglers "home of the singing waiters"--I think on Lincoln. I begged my folks to go there but we never did go. Anyone remember it?

AD:

Posted by: QlassiQue (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2012 04:42PM

Speaking of JoJo's, in my research I found four examples in the suburbs: the first was in Des Plaines and opened in 1971, as well as one each in Morton Grove and Schiller Park. By 1977, there was a JoJo's at the NW corner of Mannheim and Madison in Hillside - according to Google Street View, the building remains, although it appears empty. JoJo's built very distinctive buildings - does anyone know if the Chicago location on Devon east of Lincoln remains? Thanks - -

AD:

Date: December 05, 2012 05:29PM

@ Qlassique, The Jojo's on Devon and Lincoln is long gone. The only Jojo's buildings left remaining standing, as of a few years ago is at Harlem and Foster and Mannheim and United Parkway (Schiller Park) that I know of. These three Jojo's I use to go to all the time. Remember the fire places in the middle of the restaurant, then replaced by the aquariums? I like the waiting room with the big round bubble window.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: December 06, 2012 12:11AM

My folks frequented a place called the Rye Nut on Peterson Ave. and Kimball. I can't remember anything about it besides the name.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 12:06PM

Two "restaurants" that I remember were at the corner of Armitage ad Western. round The Clock on the SE corner and Top Notch on the NE corner. Across the street was the old Oak show, and Margies which is still there.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: December 07, 2012 12:22PM

My grandfather's nephew had a restaurant on the corner of Fullerton and Cicero called Snacktime. My grandfather had made a career out of retiring, as he originally had a store and restaurant on the west side, and periodically went back to work when he got bored, and ultimately retiring, only to do it all over again. "Papou" was kinda bored and lonely after my grandmother died, so he went over to help out his nephew at Snacktime, and worked 12 hour shifts as the night manager for years, when he was well into his eighties! I am sure some of the people who went there remember "Uncle Gus," my grandfather. He stopped working a few months before he passed away in 1971.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2012 05:29PM

jk Wrote:
> Chipast, wasn't Tastee-Hastee the one that
> included lettuce on their dogs?
>
> And I remember the Red Star Inn after it moved to
> Irving Park.

I think so.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact