Books about community areas in Chicago

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Books about community areas in Chicago
Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2012 07:48PM

There are 77 community areas in Chicago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_areas_in_Chicago

I have lived in two community areas of Chicago; Lincoln Park and Garfield Ridge. There have been at least two books written about the Lincoln Park community, but none, about Garfield Ridge, that I am aware of. Clearing, a community next to Garfield Ridge, does have a fine history, that I have read.

And, I have wondered, if there have been any other histories of communities of Chicago.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Books about community areas in Chicago
Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: October 01, 2012 08:11PM

As you may have noticed, we have started the Clear-Ridge Historical Society and are working toward the Gafield Ridge history you are asking about. If you read the Wikipedia article about Garfield Ridge this is something we put together. If you are on Facebook check out our site it has a lot of great pictures. The Clearing Book, written by Robert Hill, is a great history of the area, including some of Garfield Ridge. We are actually reprinting that book complete with photos, maps, etc. I also worked on a website that is still up and has some pictures and info about Garfield Ridge www.garfieldridgehistory.weebly.com .

Regarding your question about the communities, the Arcadia company offers a series that has many Chicago communities. These are essentially photobooks, written usually by local historians and that are published by Arcadia. The Chicago communities include, Chicago Lawn, Beverly, Portage Park, Bridgeport, Back of the Yards and a few more. Check out their website for more info:

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/

Independent titles occasionally crop up. I have seen more than one about Beverly, Back of the Yards and several north side communities.

AD:

Date: October 01, 2012 10:18PM

I was thinking of authors, and their books, along the lines of Robert Milton Hill and his book -- A Little Known Story of The Land Called Clearing.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 01, 2012 11:51PM

Hi Nordsider, I also wrote an Arcadia book about the Little Village neighborhood of Chicago. Before my book there hadn't been anything written more then a page or two about the neighborhood's history. I found that to be more challenging and exciting that I was pretty much the first to take on writing about the neighborhood's history. That's the great thing about the Arcadia series, they allow a person like me who isn't a college professor or a professional historian to do a project like that. I will have to admit though, it could also be a problem. There are more then a few Arcadia books that leave a lot to be desired. You just have to fish through some of the so-so ones to get to the better ones.

And for one last shame[i]ful[/i] plug.....

http://www.amazon.com/Chicagos-Little-Village-Lawndale-Crawford-Publishing/dp/0738577375/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345181761&sr=8-1&keywords=frank+magallon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 04:16AM by Berwyn Frank.

AD:

Date: October 02, 2012 09:20AM

Berwyn Frank Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Nordsider, I also wrote an Arcadia book about
> the Little Village neighborhood of Chicago.
> Before my book there hadn't been anything written
> more then a page or two about the neighborhood's
> history. I found that to be more challenging and
> exiting that I was pretty much the first to take
> on writing about the areas history. That's the
> great thing about the Arcadia series, they allow a
> person like me who isn't a college professor or a
> professional historian to do a project like that.
> I will have to admit though, it could also be a
> problem. There are more then a few Arcadia books
> that leave a lot to be desired. You just have to
> fish through some of the so-so ones to get to the
> better ones.
>
> And for one last shameful plug.....
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Chicagos-Little-Village-Lawn
> dale-Crawford-Publishing/dp/0738577375/ref=sr_1_1?
> ie=UTF8&qid=1345181761&sr=8-1&keywords=frank+magal
> lon

I just purchased your book via my Kindle e-reader and look forward to reading it.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: October 02, 2012 11:55AM

Just a quick note. Frank's book is **not** one of those "that leave a lot to be desired." Highly recommended IMO.

AD:

Date: October 02, 2012 09:42PM

I have now read Chicago's Little Village:: Lawndale-Crawford by Frank S. Magallon. The book is especially well written, and includes many interesting photographs. I too, highly recommend it.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 11:17PM

Wow, we are living in the technical age....you read my book on your kindle! Cool!

Thanks you and Dave for the nice comments!

Frank

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact