Lakefront memories

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Lakefront memories
Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2012 09:45PM

I remember viewing the Palmolive Beacon (formerly known as the Lindbergh Beacon) from the lakefront on summer nights in the 40s. It had a mesmerizing affect on me; seeing a powerful beacon of light sweeping the night sky above the city lights and lake. It rotated twice a minute, and was claimed, in the 30s, - "newspapers have been read by its light in planes 27 miles away".

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Lakefront memories
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2012 10:20PM

[b]When sailing at night we knew the direction by that blue search light. I'm 76 yrs old.[/b]

AD:

Date: September 09, 2012 01:09AM

Another Lakefront memory:

When I was a kid, just after World War II, there were two aircraft carriers docked just south of Navy Pier. During the war there was a need to train pilots to land on aircraft carriers and the Great Lakes were considered secure waters. My father and I used to fish from the docks near the stern ends of the ships -- the USS Wolverine and USS Sable -- partially under the extended landing decks. My father and I never caught any fish, but the exciting thoughts of pilots maneuvering their planes onto and off the decks above us compensated for my lack of fish. ;-)

Both ships were sold for scrap in 1948.

AD:

Posted by: JimCina (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2012 02:20AM

They were converted paddlewheelers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wolverine_%28IX-64%29

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2012 03:50AM

Gee, I could also remember when the Playboy Building (Palmolive) was directly beaming.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 09, 2012 12:46PM

There was an issue with the beacon on the Palmolive building when the John Hancock center went up. Since the beam broadsided the new building there was either a shield constructed to block it or the beam was reset to stop short of hitting the JHC and reverse itself stopping short on the other side as well. Anyone remember exactly how this was resolved?

I remember seeing the beam pass overhead from my bedroom window up in Edgewater into the 1970’s.

AD:

Date: September 09, 2012 02:07PM

I don't know when this written, but does give some background regarding the problem that the beacon caused in the recent past.

http://www.njaa.org/light/lp09.html

see also,

http://www.lhdigest.com/Digest/StoryPage.cfm?StoryKey=3065

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 02:14PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: justmacs06 (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2012 03:37PM

I seen the beacon on about two weeks ago while driving on lake shore drive.

AD:

Date: September 10, 2012 01:51AM

Another memory:

The new North Avenue Beachhouse seems to be about to sink. The original lake steamer boat house, that I have memories of, seemed much more seaworthy. I wonder who the architect/designer of the original was in the 1930s, when it was built. It was, in my opinion, an unique design.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2012 08:05AM

I remember when Navy Pier was used for shipping in the 1960's. My Dad would take me down to the pier and we would go up on the observation deck and walk the length of the pier and watch the ships load and unload cargo. If I remember right, The Chicago Fire Department had there gym across the street from the pier. I have an old picture of the pier from Forgotten Chicago. It also shows the old Lake Shore Drive "S" curve and you can't Lake Point Towers because it wasn't built yet. I will try to find it again and post the location and the picture here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 08:08AM by rjmachon.

AD:

Date: September 10, 2012 03:33PM

This topic reminds me of a poem by Carl Sandburg called Picnic Boat.

http://carl-sandburg.com/picnic_boat.htm

AD:

Date: September 11, 2012 03:15PM

rjmachon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember when Navy Pier was used for shipping in
> the 1960's. My Dad would take me down to the pier
> and we would go up on the observation deck and
> walk the length of the pier and watch the ships
> load and unload cargo. If I remember right, The
> Chicago Fire Department had there gym across the
> street from the pier. I have an old picture of the
> pier from Forgotten Chicago. It also shows the old
> Lake Shore Drive "S" curve and you can't Lake
> Point Towers because it wasn't built yet. I will
> try to find it again and post the location and the
> picture here.

Lake Point Tower may still be the world's tallest purely residential building. I can still remember its blazing sunset reflections from a South Shore hi-rise window.

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 01:56PM

Does anyone remember the fog horn on lake michigan? Does it still blow?

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.wi.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 02:22PM

When I was a kid in the early 50's a teacher from the neighborhood used to take several of us boys on excursions around the city. I think our parents paid him 3 or 4 dollars every Saturday for this. He was extremely knowledgeable about Chicago and showed us different neighborhoods, museums, parks, monuments etc. One of the things he did ocasionally was drive out on the breakwater at some point. Does anyone remember just where that was possible. I clearly remember it with the waves washing up near the car. A friend from those days also remembers it. I can find nothing about an entrance to the breakwater. Anyone???

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 06:27PM

@ Zorchvalve, Yes I can remember that fog horn now that you mention it.

@ Jak378, I was thinking that it was the breakwater at Montrose Harbor. I remember some old military area there in 1973, or what was left because it had closed already and would park there and go walking around. I have to ask my brother because he use to go fishing off that pier.

AD:

Date: September 27, 2012 08:54PM

zorchvalve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone remember the fog horn on lake
> michigan? Does it still blow?

I can't say that I remember the sound of a fog horn in all my early days on the lakefront. But I wonder if it was a foggy night -- before opening day of the 1933 Worlds Fair -- when Sally Rand rode her white stallion along the Fair's North Island; portraying Lady Godiva.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 14, 2012 02:19AM

In the late '70s we would head to Lincoln Park near North Ave. to play volleyball every Tuesday night. The Park District would set up several nets.

After a few hours my eyes and the back of my throat would burn. If you looked up at the sky that hot summer, it was always yellow. This was before all the anti-pollution laws were enacted.

The city was so polluted during that summer that a few of us were determined to get away for the 4th. We did; went up to Lake Geneva where the sky was clear.

It's funny, we just accepted that we'd have to live with that kind of pollution in Chicago in the summer. Thank goodness things have progressed.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact