Little Village Hobby Stores on 26th street that sold model kits. Bakeries.

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Little Village Hobby Stores on 26th street that sold model kits. Bakeries.
Posted by: FBC2618 (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 04, 2012 04:36AM

Hi,
I'm looking for photos of the B&C Hobby Shop on 26th street that sold model kits in 1966. They had Aurora superhero and monsters kits in the window. When I was a kid I used to look in their window at the kits. Can anyone help?

And does anyone have a picture of Minarik's Bakery when it was on 26th Street?

Also looking for a picture of ACE Bakery on 1844 S. Blue Island Avenue in Pilsen in the 1950's.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Little Village Hobby Stores on 26th street that sold model kits. Bakeries.
Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: September 04, 2012 02:09PM

Don't have photos but do have a question. Where was the B&C located exactly? I grew up in the 26th street area in the 50s and the only hobby shop I recall was Linka's which was close to the Atlantic. Perhaps it was opened after our family moved from the area.

A frequent visitor here, Frank Magallon might be able to help. BTW, he's the author of an excellent reference of the Lawndale area.

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/9780738577371/Chicagos-Little-Village-Lawndale-Crawford

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2012 02:15PM by daveg.

AD:

Date: September 04, 2012 07:26PM

Hi,
B&C Hobby was located by Kedvale Ave. On the south side of 26th street. But first they used to be across the street where the pool tables are.

I asked the family but they never took pictures of their store!

Maybe Community Reporter archives have them as they took pictures for their local newspaper?

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 05, 2012 01:57PM

1967 directory shows B&C at 4047 W. 26th.

AD:

Date: September 05, 2012 04:33PM

Thanks for the B&C address. I think it's a restaurant now. I had asked the owners family who worked there but they did not know it.

In the address book was it B&C Hobby Store or B&C Bicycle?

They used to have factory built model kits in the window and when they closed in 1976, I bought Superman, Batman, Lone Ranger, JFK, Land of Giants snake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2012 04:34PM by FBC2618.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: September 05, 2012 04:48PM

Ahh that explains things. We rarely, if ever, needed to go west of Pulaski on 26th. Linka's, our hobby shop, was east.

AD:

Posted by: Chi Town Charlie (24.75.146.---)
Date: April 13, 2015 04:44PM

Linka's was our hobby Store, also sport equipment, went to Farragut H.S. and bought my gym shorts there. Also bought my Bow and Arrows there. This was in the 50's, Mr. Linka's son ran the store.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: April 13, 2015 05:11PM

I was reading these articles, and one guy who you might be thinking of was Don Rodewald. I know he was the manager of the Woolworths on 26th Street, and later had several hobby shops, some of them on 26th Street. I primarily knew him from his last venture, A World of Diecast, which was on Ogden Avenue and Arthur Avenue in Brookfield. I just recently found out that Don had passed away a few years ago. Following is his obit:

Donald G. Rodewald age 76, of Stickney. Korean War Army Veteran. Beloved husband of Barbara A. Rodewald, nee Lewis; dear father of Dawn (Kevin) Kahmark, Mike (Gina) Rodewald and Beth (Tim) Stach; grandfather of Abigail Rodewald, Joseph Rodewald, Ryan Stach, Alex Kahmark, Anna Kahmark and Ben Kahmark; brother of Linda Allen. Memorial Visitation Friday, June 8, 2012 at 10:00 A.M. until time of Service at 11:00 A.M. at Hitzeman Funeral Home Ltd., 9445 West 31st Street, Brookfield. Interment Private. Don had worked for Woolworths in Chicago’s Little Village Community and Brodsky Candies. Notably Don had several Toy and Hobby Shops of different names most remembered Road n’ Rail; from the Chicago’s Little Village neighborhood, 26th and Pulaski, to Riverside, Naperville, LaGrange Park and Brookfield. Most recently owning A World of Die Cast in Brookfield. Memorials appreciated to the Alzheimer’s Association, 8430 W. Bryn Mawr, Suite 800, Chicago, IL 60631. Information 708-485-2000 or www.HitzemanFuneral.com

AD:

Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 07:16PM

<I>1967 directory shows B&C at 4047 W. 26th.</I>

Rustymuscle. To what directory are you referring?

AD:

Posted by: ausemily (---.158.64.182.airtelbroadband.in)
Date: April 15, 2015 06:39AM

Very nice.

AD:

Posted by: Chi Town Charlie (24.75.146.---)
Date: April 15, 2015 06:16PM

Next to Singer Shoes was Herrins Bakery, West of Karlov Ave. on 26th St.

How about Cherry Lounge on 26th St.

AD:

Posted by: HMPC (---.sub-70-194-99.myvzw.com)
Date: April 27, 2015 03:49PM

I am also interested in any photos or memories of Ace Bakery at 1844 S. Blue Island or it's predecessor: Fritz Bakery. We are currently refurbishing this bakery which most recently was El Nopal Bakery. We want to collect as much history about this bakery as possible. It appears that it has been a bakery for over a hundred years and we would love to preserve that history on site.

AD:

Posted by: FBC2618 (107.77.83.---)
Date: April 27, 2015 06:44PM

My parents and I owned El Nopal Bakery in Pilsen. My cousin and I were there this morning and spoke with the friendly Mama Pie manager. I have my parents receipts when they bought 1844 S Blue Island in 1960. The reciepts have the Fritz' full names. I recall my Mom said the Fritz bakery name was Ace Bakery. The building was built in 1885 and I think it was always a bakery. Not sure when the Fritz opened their bakery.

In the 1960's I remember when so many people walked on that block it was crowded. Today it is pretty quiet. Two reasons are when they built that high school it blocked blue island buses and traffic. Second was Blue Island used to be a two way street then for some poor reason they made it one way.

On our El Nopal Bakery Facebook page we have many photos of 1844 S. Blue Island. Did you know Carlos Santana and Michele Branch filmed their music video "The Game of Love" there? You can see the exterior and interior of our bakery in the video on YouTube. Also our bakery is featured in Steven Seagals "Above the Law" as his aunts bakery. Our calendar and address is featured very prominently as Seagal knocks a punk into it. It was a pleasant surprise to see it.

In the early 1970s my Dad saw a building on fire across the street from the bakery. He ran out and knocked on the doors to get people out. Last year I met a police officer who was a kid who lived in the building. They didn't know who saved them. He said my Dad saved 65 lives.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 02:46PM by FBC2618.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact