Any info on Metalphoto Chicago Inc. Steve Allen 30 W. Washington photo of Old Man (Richard J.) Daley?

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Any info on Metalphoto Chicago Inc. Steve Allen 30 W. Washington photo of Old Man (Richard J.) Daley?
Posted by: ChicagoHal (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2012 10:52AM

I found a postcard sized photo of Richard J. Daley on metal that is brass colored, but may be aluminum with the brass color printed on it along with the photo.

The back says Steve Allen Metalphoto Chicago, Inc. 30 W. Washington Chicago, ILL. 60602 312/332-2866

The picture of Daley looks like he's younger than when he passed away in 1976. He also uses the 3 letter abbreviation for Illinois, which the Post Office changed to 2 letters in 1963 (although it wouldn't surprise me that 3 letters were used by many afterwards). Also, he uses all numbers instead of letters and numbers in the phone number (allegedly all phone numbers issued after 1965 were all numbers, although that change may have taken place earlier in Chicago).

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Any info on Metalphoto Chicago Inc. Steve Allen 30 W. Washington photo of Old Man (Richard J.) Daley?
Date: July 30, 2012 11:39AM

Here's the photo of Richard J. Daley.

Here's the photo of the back of the Metalphoto with company info.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/83833526@N02/7676547866/in/photostream

AD:

Re: Any info on Metalphoto Chicago Inc. Steve Allen 30 W. Washington photo of Old Man (Richard J.) Daley?
Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 31, 2012 02:00PM

The telephone exchange being used in Chicago area phone numbers, ex. BI7-9696 (Bishop exchange-Little Village neighborhood), was used much later the 1963. I have a Berwyn phone book sitting right here from 1977 with half of the numbers printed the old way. I would say that the practice went away by the very early 1980s. As far as the ILL. state abbreviation, I would say that was also used into the 1980s.

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2012 04:18PM

*testing how to post images within posts

AD:

Date: August 02, 2012 12:02PM

Thanks Frank.
It is interesting to hear that a 1977 book had approximately half of them that way even though all the ones after 1965 did not.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 02, 2012 01:02PM

A Berwyn phone book only offers information about Berwyn. But, I recall Chicago went to all number in 1977 anyway.

AD:

Date: August 10, 2012 06:42PM

Thanks Rusty.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact