Demolition of old Brewery on Elston and Leavitt St.

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Demolition of old Brewery on Elston and Leavitt St.
Posted by: CrazyIvan25 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2012 02:36PM

Last week, driving down Elston, I saw a sight that broke my heart. The old brewery building with that ugly addition to the front is being knocked down. I do not understand why as I thought they were keeping it and remodeling it into condos or lofts. But as I drove by, I saw half of the rear knocked down, with the chimney standing alone, and the front still standing.

Does anyone know anything about this place and why its being torn down, rather than being renovated? I loved this old place, except for the ugly addition in the front.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Demolition of old Brewery on Elston and Leavitt St.
Posted by: Chunky Bunky (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 25, 2012 09:53PM

[b]Demolished for more Big Box retailers - as if the area didn't have enough --[/b] :)-D

[b][u]Click me for More ==>[/u][/b] http://oururbantimes.com/development/should-historic-elston-ave-brewing-complex-be-destroyed-big-box-retailer

AD:

Posted by: Steve B. (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 28, 2012 07:09PM

Although the building may extend to Leavitt, the legal address is 2519 Elston Avenue. The brewery started out at a different location as the Michael Brand Brewing Company in 1871. They moved to the Elston Avenue location in 1890 and became the United States Brewing Comapny. During Prohibition, they stayed in business selling non-alcoholic beer and other tonics. After Repeal, they became one of the most sucessful breweries in Chicago. They added a canning line in 1950 and then closed in 1955. Their two most popular brands of beer were Rheingold and Gold Crown. However, I do not know anything about the demolotion status.

AD:

Posted by: IMissChicago (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2012 01:24AM

Didn't they make Old Chicago Beer there also?

AD:

Posted by: Steve B. (74.7.39.---)
Date: June 01, 2012 09:47AM

No, the "Old Chicago" brand was brewed by the Peter Hand Brewery who was most famous for Meister Brau and Meister Brau Lite, which eventually became Miller Light.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: June 01, 2012 06:28PM

Yeah, this was a big topic over at (dare I say it) curbed...

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact