Stockyards -Stations

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Stockyards -Stations
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 02:02PM

The Chicago Tribune did a flashback page on the stockyards. They included a map showing three stations. I assume these stations were where the livestock was unloaded. The stations were Swift,Armour and Morris. I recognize the names Swift and Armour as historic names in the meat business.

Does anybody know who Morris might have been.

I assume that Swift and Armour were taken over by other companies. Does anybody know what companies own these names?

Does anybody have any information as to what rail lines fed the stockyards?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Stockyards -Stations
Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: February 20, 2012 02:30PM

If I remember correctly, the stations were "L" stations, part of the Stock Yard branch.

http://www.chicago-l.org/operations/lines/stockyards.html

The above mentions that the Morris stop was renamed to Racine. No explanation given of why the change, but a company by the name of Nelson Morris was mentioned further on in the article. It merged with Armour in 1923.

http://encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/2779.html

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 02:42PM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 03:31PM

Thanks Daveg, I missed the caption stating that these were elevated stops.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 04:39PM

Armour and Co. also made Dial soap. The company was actually based in Omaha,and it went through many changes starting in the 1970's with a sale to Greyhound Co, although the Armours themselves had, I believe been out of the company since the 40's or earlier. Their premium brand, Armout Star is now owned by Con Agra, which in turn is owned by Smithfiels. Dial became a stand alone company and owns several other brands, including 20 mule team borax and some others. This is after many changes in the various divisions.

My grandfather worked many years at Armour, both in Chicago and as a manager in Buffalo, NY.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 08:55PM

Kchi, having been on Chicago's mass transit many times in my youth I can say without question livestock did indeed ride along. Or so it seemed.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 02:32AM

jak378 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Armour and Co. also made Dial soap.

Presumeably soap was a byproduct of meatpacking? Wonder why Dial never exploited this aspect? Ya don't suppose a commercial featuring a parade of Dial Deoderant Soap trucks pulling out of a slaughterhouse would have a negative impact on the consumer - do ya?

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 25, 2012 07:44PM

[b]Sometimes we had to hold our noses from the smell of Darlring & Co, soap products.. Live at 5oth & may.[/b]

AD:

Date: February 25, 2012 07:44PM

[b]Sometimes we had to hold our noses from the smell of Darlring & Co, soap products.. Live at 50th & may.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 26, 2012 01:55PM

I remember always being told back in the day that it was Darling and Company that was the source of the smell from the Yards. They were a rendering company and collected dead animals from various places, including dead dogs, cats, etc. on the public way in Chicago. I guess it was all dumped into the pot.

AD:

Date: February 26, 2012 07:40PM

[b]I had a next door neighbor who drove a truck for Darling(what a name). He had to go right to the shower when he got home because he stunk so bad. They stunk up the whole area also. Anyone from the Back of The yards can't forget the smell.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 08:02PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: TomB (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 10:36PM

Darling is now Vantage Oleo Chemicals at Racine and 47th, and it is still an animal rendering plant. The raw materials are brought in by tank cars now instead of animals processed on-site.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 05:58PM

Darling Company also picked up used grease as well. I thought they merged with Torvac. You would not want to follow one of these trucks in summer. I hired these companies in the 90's to pump out basins for me at my job and pick up grease.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 06:00PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact