Looking for Grammar School Pictures

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Looking for Grammar School Pictures
Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 04:59PM

Maybe someone on this site can help me out, or steer me to somewhere that can. Over the years I lost the class pictures that were taken each year of grammar school at St. Basil, 55th and HOnore. The pictures would cover the class of 1955 and would be 3rd grade 1949/1950, Sr. Prisca; 4th grade 1950/1951, Miss Mullens; 5th grade 1951/1952, Sr Lucine; 6th grade 1952/1953, Sr Marie Acquin; 7th grade 1953/1954, Sr Rufina; and 8th grade 1954/1955, Sr Anastasia. A classmate who I see regularly had the whole set, but they disappeared at a reunion some 25 years ago or so. I have tried various online searches for these, incouding E-bay, with no result. If anyone has these, or might have a friend or family member who has any of them please contact me through an private message. I would of course be willing to pay any expense associated with reproducing them and shipping them.

Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Looking for Grammar School Pictures
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 10:42AM

I remember Father Mc que and his lectures at roller skating. Do you know anybody from 53rd and hermitage? I didn't go to that school but to SS cyril & methodius on 50th and hermitage back in those years. Sorry I can't help with any pictures but there must be somone out there that can help.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 10:45AM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: February 20, 2012 01:21PM

Aha yes, roller skating in the basement all purpose room of the school. That room was huge and in addition to roller skating it was used as a lunch room, a meeting room for all kinds of things, choir practice for the whole school, infrequent assemblies, a secondary chapel for Mass on Sunday, parish dinners of one sort of another and one day a week each class went there to learn different kinds of dancing, ballroom and square, as well as other activities taught by a man named Mr. Wak or Wach. He actually worked for the Park District and apparently made extra money teaching this stuff at some of the Catholic schools.

This room was also a basket ball court used for intramural games as well as games against other schools. Father McCue was the coach and insisted that all the boys play at least intramural. If you didn't he came down on you and referred to you as a "creampuff." That room had 6 pillars in the court so you not only had to dodge the defense but the pillars. they had heavy pads wrapped around them, but if you were looking the other way, dribbling the ball and hit one full tilt the stars came out. Father McCue made us play there, but I could never quite figure out why other schools took the chance playing there. I have pretty much hated basketball ever since. Father McCue always talked about George Mikan. I believe that he somehow became associated with him at DePaul University.

I'm sure that I did know some folks from around 53rd and Hermitage, but they probably went to St. Basil. I'm going to try the Archdiocese for copies of the pictures.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: February 20, 2012 01:50PM

jak378 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Aha yes, roller skating in the basement all
> purpose room of the school. That room was huge
> and in addition to roller skating it was used as a
> lunch room, a meeting room for all kinds of
> things, choir practice for the whole school,
> infrequent assemblies, a secondary chapel for Mass
> on Sunday, parish dinners of one sort of another
> and one day a week each class went there to learn
> different kinds of dancing, ballroom and square,
> as well as other activities taught by a man named
> Mr. Wak or Wach. He actually worked for the Park
> District and apparently made extra money teaching
> this stuff at some of the Catholic schools.
>
> This room was also a basket ball court used for
> intramural games as well as games against other
> schools. Father McCue was the coach and insisted
> that all the boys play at least intramural. If
> you didn't he came down on you and referred to you
> as a "creampuff." That room had 6 pillars in the
> court so you not only had to dodge the defense but
> the pillars. they had heavy pads wrapped around
> them, but if you were looking the other way,
> dribbling the ball and hit one full tilt the stars
> came out. Father McCue made us play there, but I
> could never quite figure out why other schools
> took the chance playing there. I have pretty much
> hated basketball ever since. Father McCue always
> talked about George Mikan. I believe that he
> somehow became associated with him at DePaul
> University.
>
> I'm sure that I did know some folks from around
> 53rd and Hermitage, but they probably went to St.
> Basil. I'm going to try the Archdiocese for
> copies of the pictures.

Nice story jak378. Liked the Fr. McCue / George Mikan / DePaul connection.

Oh and where was Bingo played? ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 01:52PM by daveg.

AD:

Date: February 20, 2012 04:42PM

Geez? Yeah, how could I forget Bingo.

AD:

Date: February 24, 2012 03:58PM

Just as an item of information, I did contact the Archdiocese and they tell me that St. Basil did not supply any class pictures from the 50's, when the school closed. That was a dead end. By the way, thay got back to me within 48 hours of my email request. I was a little surprised at the promptness.

I am back to asking if any of you, or any friends of any of you, might have those pictures, to please let me know.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact